• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Net vs Flex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck finding people who can afford to live out there based on what NJA can pay them.....A word to the wise to all you potential new hires....

What you are being told at the interview may not be entirely the truth. Don't even think about HBA's.....upgrades are several years away at best.

Talk to a line pilot and question EVERYTHING!!!!!

GCAP said:
Would you rather be no. 400 in a company that is growing nicely and has a pretty good relationship with its employees and is profitable OR no. 2500 in a company that will slow its growth (to catch up) has a marginal relationship with its employees and is not profitable????

GCAP, perhaps you are implying that as a company gets bigger, that little love relationship between pilots and mgmt tends to drift. If you guys grow like we are, you will see what I mean. Ask anyone at DAL NWA etc.....pilots are just numbers man. It's reality. Aint like the good ole days of flying at some small commuter where everyone knows everyone else.

I keep waiting for a relative new hire in LAX or TEB to file a grievance because someone junior to him gets hired at PBI and he wanted it.

There's an interesting twist in the CBA about that...

5.1 Application of Seniority
Seniority shall govern all pilots in cases of promotion and demotion, retention in case of reduction in force, assignment or reassignment, assignment to special assignments, bidding and assignments to Domicile/Home Base, recall after furlough, choice of vacancies, choice of vacation and schedule bidding.

gutshotdraw said:
...I don't think you have to have a union to keep your job after a medical problem like yours. Just a good company. We have had several pilots and flight attendants off the line for as long as two years with conditions including cancer, a liver transplant, and on-the-job injuries that returned to work with no loss of position, salary, or benefits. No one on our side of the house has ever lost their job because of a treatable medical condition or a worker's comp claim.

I think that's pretty much the industry standard.

At Gulfstream Aerospace it's in the pilot's contract (that's right non-union pilots with a contract) that the company will try to return you to flight status for two years after being medically disqualified and if they are unable to, will find you an equivalent non-flying job within the company. This policy was tested four times while I was there with three pilots returning to flight duties and one flight engineer being assigned an equivalent position.

At the company I worked for before Gulfstream (also non-union), we had an extensive contract governing work rules, termination and so forth. At this company, they also would pay full salary as long as prognosis was for recovery. Again if a pilot could not return to flying another position within the company would be found. This company carried a First Officer with a back injury for 18 months before he was able to return to duty.

At my present employer, if I am medically disqualified I will receive full salary as long as there is a prognosis for recovery. If I am permanently disqualified I will receive 60% of my base pay tax free until retirement age; which would be a raise.

GV

GVFlyer said:
At my present employer, if I am medically disqualified I will receive full salary as long as there is a prognosis for recovery. If I am permanently disqualified I will receive 60% of my base pay tax free until retirement age; which would be a raise.

OOCH I Hurt my back. "O" Wait I'm not a Liberal Union member. NEVERMIND

gunfyter said:
I am not a LIBERAL union member...

My JBS membership card is older than some of the pilots I fly with.

Hey, alright! I went to H.S in Orange county, CA. where I learned to check under my bed every night for a communist. The congressman from our district belonged to the John Birch Society.

http://www.jbs.org/

GV

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back