• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Negatives to JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, we all know that I do not work for Jet Blue! :) However, I have a personal story that I want to share concerning David Neeleman.

In early 1991/92, when America West had furloughed a great number of pilots because of bankruptcy, I had many of these men and women who were my clients. Prospects looked dim at any other airline. The corporate culture at that time at AWA was very much like SWA and now Jet Blue. Everyone had a team attitude and cared about the job to make sure that the company was successful. (was not fault of the the frontline people that AWA went into bankruptcy)

Well, at this time, Morris Air was just starting to get a lot of press. I decided to take a chance and make a personal phone call on behalf of my clients to David Neeleman.

Well folks, the man took my call! He did not know me from anyone. I called and explained that I was a Resume Writer and an AWA employee. I told him that I had several pilot clients that were furloughed. I asked him to please hire as many AWA pilots as he could handle, because in my words, "they would kill for him." He spoke to me on the phone for over 30 minutes, asked me to send him the resumes of the pilots, and promised that he would evaluate each of them, and any others that would come into Morris Air. Needless to say I was VERY impressed by this man. For the head of a company to take a phone call from an "average" person was unprecedented.

Soon, Morris was bought out by SWA. Many of my clients are now sitting as Captains at SWA.

So, for all the people who have bad things to say about David Neeleman, I have to genuinely disagree. His background is such that he "takes care of his own." His employees are like family to him and he treats them as such. I have a great deal of respect for him and have never met him in person.

I will be forever thankful that he took my phone call that day and took into account the suggestion of someone he has never met. That said to me that he was a genuine person, truly capable of caring about other people instead of just himself. Quite the departure from other airline CEO's who have consistently proven they only care about themselves and their next big bonus.

Just an unsolicited opinion from a non-Jet Blue employee.

Kathy

Got more then a few buddies working at JB right now and they all pretty much say they are happy. One big complaint from them seems to be how hard they work. Flying during the day, getting to the west coast at 10AM and then getting 12 hours off and having to do another transcon at night. One buddy says that when he gets home, he is useless to the world for the first day and he sleeps all day. I fully believing in the "work hard" "play hard" attitude, but when I get into my 50's it would be hard to do something like this........ I guess thats why JB guys, or some JB guys want to change the 8 in 24 rule.

I see alot of attacks on this forum about JB and its great that you guys defend your company, but you guys are, ..... dare I say it....

really starting to sound like a bunch of General Lee's...... <grin>. No offense to the general or you JB guys, but man are you guys over sensetive these days. You guys have proved to be a great company and a good place to work for, but man you guys have to calm down a little bit........

BTW.....Most of the guys I know at Jetblue would not even be able to get an interview at JB let a lone a flying job there now a days. I know its a supply and demand thing, but JB's hiring practices are starting to resemble that of a certain major in the late 90's.

But if JB was to give me a call for an interview, then I might change my views......:D :D :D :D :D

But then again Im only typed, current, and qualifed in the Bus and Typed on the EMB with a couple of hundred hours. I should have my 3 shuttle take off and landings by the end of this year.........:D :D :D

Let the beatings begin!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It's fun responding to some of our more ardent detractors. They hate us, and they can't seem to help it. I think they need someone to hate, and we're glad to help. Imagine the consequences if some of these people had no place to focus all that hate. We'd be fighting WWII all over again (ok, so I may be exaggerating).

Networ-King said:
Got more then a few buddies working at JB right now and they all pretty much say they are happy. One big complaint then seems to be how hard they work. Flying during the day, getting to the west coast at 10AM and then getting 12 hours off and having to do another transcon at night. One buddy says that when he gets home, he is useless to the world for the first day and he sleeps all day.

This is not the norm. The majority of the red eyes are 3 day trips. You leave JFK early evening and stay on the west coast for 24 hours (or so) before you fly the red eye back. This blocks around 11 hours, but they rig the trip at 13:30 because it goes over three days. These trips go fairly senior because you can put two back to back and get 5 days worth 27 hours with and eve report and a red eye release.

There are a few trips like you described, mainly a 2 day Vegas and one or two 3 or 4 day trips that have one of these days in them. If you don't like them, you don't usually get stuck with them (unless you're on reserve).

Latest resources

Back