Needs Advice, Turboprop to Jet Company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyBoy1981 said:
Not necessarily. Even jetBlue amended their qualifications now to include turbojets that weigh over 12,500. I suppose 1900 time still wouldn't count for jetBlue, but they are the only one that I am aware of.

JetBlue hires plenty of T-Prop drivers...

I'm currently a Capt on the 170 at Shuttle. IMO, if you have the 800 hours of PIC, don't leave until you get at least the 1000. After that, if you can afford it, why not come over here. You would be able to continue to apply for the "big boys", but living in base and flying a 170 is not a bad way to waste some time. (Mainly living in base.) This company is growing a little, hopefully the upgrade would be within a few years, but if not at least you have the pic to leave if the opportunity presents itself.

Good luck with the decision. We have a good pilot group and reserve in base is not bad at all. Our work rules will have you getting paid well over the minimum (75) if they fly you much at all. Also no junior man on the day off.

LowlyPropCapt said:
JetBlue hires plenty of T-Prop drivers...

If the turboprop is under 20,000 pounds it would not meet the requirements on their website. Am I missing something?

SkyBoy1981 said:
If the turboprop is under 20,000 pounds it would not meet the requirements on their website. Am I missing something?

Yes & No you are missing something here! There are plenty of TurboProps over 20,000lbs flying around. But you are correct if its under, then you don't meet the requirements on their website.

Next.....

flynfarr said:
I'm currently a Capt on the 170 at Shuttle. IMO, if you have the 800 hours of PIC, don't leave until you get at least the 1000. After that, if you can afford it, why not come over here. You would be able to continue to apply for the "big boys", but living in base and flying a 170 is not a bad way to waste some time. (Mainly living in base.) This company is growing a little, hopefully the upgrade would be within a few years, but if not at least you have the pic to leave if the opportunity presents itself.

Good luck with the decision. We have a good pilot group and reserve in base is not bad at all. Our work rules will have you getting paid well over the minimum (75) if they fly you much at all. Also no junior man on the day off.

200 more hours would take me atleast 3 months. What is the wait time inbetween the interview at Republic and the start of training (If I even get the job). Are they still placeing people in a hiring pool?

I would stick with the 121 PIC turboprop gig. Getting SIC 121 turbine time is pointless, look how many right seat RJ guys are out there trying to get on with a bigger company. Not many of us have the PIC turbine time. I have even considered leaving this right seat RJ in hopes of getting upgraded at a turboprop carrier faster.

Agreed. Most people are trying to do the opposite of what you're thinking of doing.

Granted, the People's Republic of Chautauquastan is a pretty good company, but I don't see why you would give up the oppurtunity to continue building PIC time now.

You know things are pretty bad when everyone's jumping from regional to regional trying to find a way out of the regionals!!

JumpCaptain said:
You know things are pretty bad when everyone's jumping from regional to regional trying to find a way out of the regionals!!

Haha, yeah. I dunno, just unhappy where I am I guess. My latest thought is a career company like NetJets. I did some 135 in the past and wouldn't mind a 7 days on 7 days off kinda schedule with that type of flying. working on getting an interview there as well.

As I understand it, you won't get to pick which certificate you'll fly for. They put you where they need you. So, you might end up flying on the Republic, Shuttle, or Chautauqua certificate. That might be a factor if you are looking to go to Republic to live in base.

Latest resources

Back