Needs Advice, Turboprop to Jet Company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Turbojet23

I am currently employed as a captain at a 121 turboprop company and debating weather or not to make the move to an EMB170 company like Republic. I could very possibly be based close to home. I am young and in a financially stable position to be able to take the 50% pay cut.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Stay or leave? Also does anyone know the current upgrade time at Republic and if DCA would be a possible base for a junior F/O.

Thanks

I'm in exactly your same boat, but I'd have to commute to a Republic base. I just turned 'em down.

Why do it? Couple of my buddies with only Turbo Prop PIC got on with UPS! Couple of years ago when the majors were hiring, I would say go get some SIC Jet time. But today is a different story! If you can afford the pay hit with no problems then do it. I know someone that did that jump and it kicked his wallet in the arse! Going from 60k down to 25k just for SIC jet, and he is still stuck in the EMB170!
Good Luck with your choice! I would stay with the cash, if you update your resumes you should have just a gooda chance getting on with JB, Southwest, UPS etc.

What Turbo Prop outfit do you work for? If its only gonna pay you 35-40k as a captain, then thats a different story.

WSurf said:
Why do it? Couple of my buddies with only Turbo Prop PIC got on with UPS! Couple of years ago when the majors were hiring, I would say go get some SIC Jet time. But today is a different story!

I agree...heard people going to CAL, ATA, UPS, Fed Ex, and others right out of a T-prop. They'll teach you to fly there equipment the way they want...121 PIC is what they can't teach.

If I get furloughed from XJT I'll be applying to a turboprop carrier so I can move up quicker. I have no desire to fly an E170.

Turbojet23 said:
I am currently employed as a captain at a 121 turboprop company and debating weather or not to make the move to an EMB170 company like Republic. I could very possibly be based close to home. I am young and in a financially stable position to be able to take the 50% pay cut.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Stay or leave? Also does anyone know the current upgrade time at Republic and if DCA would be a possible base for a junior F/O.

Thanks

Get your 1000 PIC then do whatever you want. At least you'll have th PIC, and if you have contacts at various places it won't matter anyway.

superfreight208 said:
Turbine PIC, you can only get so much, Dont the big guys want to see PIC Turbine with max gross over 20,000lbs?

Not necessarily. Even jetBlue amended their qualifications now to include turbojets that weigh over 12,500. I suppose 1900 time still wouldn't count for jetBlue, but they are the only one that I am aware of.

Starting F/O pay at Republic looks like $22/HR, second year $30/HR. I am making $42/HR currently as a T-Prop Capt. So second year at republic would only be about a 25% pay cut over a 50% pay cut the first year. If upgrade dosen't take to long (i.e. 3 years) I could be making more as a 3 year Capt at Republic then with my current company. (Looking at the long run).

Update:
I wasn't expecting to get a response from Republic as soon as I did (same day i faxed my resume). I have 800 HRS 121 PIC with an interview on the 23rd of this month. Also I might add that I would only accept the EMB170 on the Republic side to have the chance to be DCA based. I would not fly the RJ for CHQ or commute with the Shuttle side.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back