Needs Advice, Turboprop to Jet Company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wings421 said:
As I understand it, you won't get to pick which certificate you'll fly for. They put you where they need you. So, you might end up flying on the Republic, Shuttle, or Chautauqua certificate. That might be a factor if you are looking to go to Republic to live in base.

That would be a factor. I understand they tell you which company you are being selected for when you are pulled out of the pool, at which time I could turn them down I guess.

Turbojet23 said:
I am currently employed as a captain at a 121 turboprop company and debating weather or not to make the move to an EMB170 company like Republic. I could very possibly be based close to home. I am young and in a financially stable position to be able to take the 50% pay cut.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Stay or leave? Also does anyone know the current upgrade time at Republic and if DCA would be a possible base for a junior F/O.

Thanks

Just ask yourself this question turbojet, If for some crazy reason tomorrow the industry takes another kick in the nuts and you have to get stuck in a certain position, which one would you prefer? SIC 19K a year, lose seniority, not in comand, no PIC turbine time or 40K to 50K keep seniority, be in command, and more PIC turbine. I would fly that turboprop PIC in a heart beat.

Flybet3 said:
Just ask yourself this question turbojet, If for some crazy reason tomorrow the industry takes another kick in the nuts and you have to get stuck in a certain position, which one would you prefer? SIC 19K a year, lose seniority, not in comand, no PIC turbine time or 40K to 50K keep seniority, be in command, and more PIC turbine. I would fly that turboprop PIC in a heart beat.

I see where you are coming from Flybet. However the only way you are going to get anywhere in this industry is by taking a chance.

Although, every day that goes on I am leaning more and more towards staying with the PIC Turboprop as you mentioned. Most people in this post seem to think the same way.

Thanks for everyone's responses, you all have been a big help thus far. Good luck to all.

Latest resources

Back