• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need Your Advise...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First thing I would do before taking shortcuts is get an education so I could spell "advice" corectly and have some other skill to fall back on in case things don't work out in aviation.

Now, really, I'll answer your question. Don't buy the time. Earn it. You'll be a better man and a better pilot for it. There is no shame in flying boxes or instructing. Some things are best earned, not bought. You'll be happy you did it the first time you fly into ORD and your CA is pleased that you can actually handle it.
Whatever your choice, good luck.

No, you are not answering my question. I wanted "advice" on how to log any safety pilot time for the multi-engine block on applications. Where the application says Multi Engine time, would you include the safety pilot time? And I also wanted "advice" on how interviewers view this kind of time. Anybody that has interviewed under the same circumstances, please "advise".

I guess my 4 years of college earning a degree in my backup field didn't prepare me how to spell "advice". Gosh, and I had to pay for all that too!!

cfi on the fly said:
No, you are not answering my question. I wanted "advice" on how to log any safety pilot time for the multi-engine block on applications. Where the application says Multi Engine time, would you include the safety pilot time? And I also wanted "advice" on how interviewers view this kind of time. Anybody that has interviewed under the same circumstances, please "advise".

I guess my 4 years of college earning a degree in my backup field didn't prepare me how to spell "advice". Gosh, and I had to pay for all that too!!

If you're having to question how to log the time you probably shouldn't be logging it. The guys I know on our interview team are excellent BS detectors. 135 PIC time is indisputable and recognized industrywide as good experience. 100 ME in a piston twin isn't all that impressive since most newhires are going into RJ's these days. I know where I work they look for about 2500TT and 500ME, preferably with a little bit of turbine time thrown in.

The other advantage of 135 is that you have been exposed to Ops Specs and things like deriving alternate and takeoff mins. It also shows that you have some idea what it's like to fly on a schedule and make decisions. Boring holes in the sky with a Seminole on a pretty VFR day doesn't really impress people all that much. 135 time is weighed much more heavily. I'm not saying you won't get hired somewhere. Maybe you will and maybe you won't.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just another dumb captain.

FLYBET3

When people ask for opinions, they get opinions. I gave mine you gave yours. I think you are an ass for jumping on my opinion. I see too many guys who spend a hundred grand in the pursuit of a job that may never allow them to pay it off. X-Jet and other regionals REQUIRES only 100 hours but I bet the majority of people who are getting on right now are those who have 121 or a crapload of 135 time. I think it is you who is steering this poor guy in the wrong direction. Sure, spend more money on time that is questionable and may not help him get where he wants to go. My adivse is to get a 135 job or a prop 121 job that will pay him, give him better experience, and save his money for when he will really needs it.

SS

Great lakes is advertising 750/50 to apply. Give them a try?

First, I want to say that I was exactly in your position (albeit with slightly lower TT). I was just inside the 135 mins, sitting around 900 TT and 80 multi, when my former school got devastated in the hurricanes in FL. I extended my CFI days to come to a good school where plenty of multi would be provided. I chose this instead of dropping $7000 on a hundred hour block of multi that really wouldn't set me apart from anyone else. You can do a LOT with $7000. But that's my situation, I 100% would have been applying for 135 jobs if I had 1200 TT but not much multi. I just can't see the logic in paying 7g's for something that doesn't give you a high rate of return...

Why the urge to get out into the 121 world? Also, even if you did get an interview and get hired, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it most likely won't be a "choice" regional, and you'll be locked into a training contract for atleast a year - why not do the freight thing for 6-12 months where you could apply to a much better regional. That would save a lot of heartache in the end.

I'm sure there are plenty of 135 operators flying twins that don't have a training contract, where you could fly for a few months and leave with a solid resume.

~wheelsup

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back