Need Your Advise...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cfi on the fly said:
I know the risks involved..., I knew them from my first flight lesson. If the regional I get on with goes under- thats the way it goes. But I want the chance to get on. The merits of flying 135 go a long way, I know this too. But I am making the decision to do this anyway, so my real questions are how to submit any time that is safety pilot time, and what are interviewers going to say about getting a quick 100 multi?

make sure you don't log the entire leg you were safety pilot, only the time they log as under the hood (ie -.3/-.4 for taxi/takeoff/landing) Secondly, i am not sure you understand the point of what people are saying. Look at one of the gouge sights and see how much multi people have that are getting interviewed/hired right now. People arent talking about usair etc. b/c of the issue of getting on then getting furloughed it sbaout if you can get on period. Also, I have read that most do scrutinize how you got the multi time or the quality of it.

why dont you pay for 30 hours if you have 70? Then go fly wherever and build more time getting paid for it. If you think 100 hours is the magic number...you only need 30 more. why pay for an extra 70?

If you can get a 135 job in a multi DO SO! Even with the money issue aside you will gain valuable experience AND CONTACTS in professional aviation. 100 hours of extra beechcraft time probably ain't gonna mean squat in the near future as far as you getting hired somewhere. Minimum quals are just that, competive quals are much greater unless you know people.

There is no real brass ring anymore, and there is no quick route to the left seat of an RJ as in the late 90's. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Just my two cents. I have busted my ass for the past two years to accumulate the necessary flight time (total & multi) to get a job where I don't have to worry about an engine blowing up or having to put in 14hrs of duty and flying 8hrs starting at midnight. I think everybody should pay their dues. One way or another. I think buying your time, whether its PFT or not, is just not the right thing to do. There are a lot of guys out there that have worked themselves to the bone to get to where they are at just to have someone that took the easy route join them in the cockpit and expect them to respect their abilities. Think of the look you will get from your captain when he asks you about your flying experience. You will get passed up every time if you are compared to a pilot that has actually WORKED to build that 100 or 200 hrs of multi by flying ILS' down to minimums day in and day out instead of holding someone's hand or doing a x-country on a nice, clear day. Go get the 135 job, put some hair on your chest and like Aerosurfer said, you will get the calls because you EARNED the flight time. Just the thoughts of a hard working pilot that wants to make it to the show.

No No

Secret Squirrel said:
You know this pilot thing is just not working out. I have decided I really want to be a doctor now but I really don't have the time to actually study and learn how to become a doctor. I was thinking of going down to South America and paying a whole bunch of money to some shady outfit that guarantees that I will be a doctor in 6 months and said I will be just as smart and safe as all those doctors who really worked hard and studied. What do you guys think?

does this Sound pretty silly? There are mid 40 year olds and older in ground school at regionals all the time. Have you actually read posts on this website? It is not the place to be asking people if you should try to buy yourself experience.

SS
You actually took the time to type your bullcrap. People if you are not going to answer the mans questions and give him helpful advice than dont bother typeing!!! JACKASS....I hate this PFT haters! DIC

I agree with most of these guys, 100 hrs isnt going to do much unless you're trying to go to X-JET. I heard they are not requiring to much multi time. 135 time is a great experience, you learn alot that you just could never learn from instructing. But if you can boost your multi time by buying some, than go right ahead. Everyone pays their dues in a different way, some pay their dues by instructing for low pay, some by doing the 135 freight thing (low pay too sometimes), some by working 2 jobs and paying for multi flight time. Dont let any jerk-*ffs tell you that you have to pay you dues "THIS WAY OR THAT WAY" you do whatever you think is necessary to get you to your goal. I never did the instructing thing b/c I knew it would talke for ever to build multi time, but i did do the 135 thing for the experience...it was fun, you'll become really sharp. But if you concern is to get on with a regional NOW NOW NOW, then do whatever you wish and whatever will help you achive your goal....if PFT is what you have to do, then so be it my friend, i wish you luck

So what kind of hours are folks getting hired with for companies like ComAir, ASA, Expressjet, etc.? I have 1900, most of which is turbine/multi-engine. I doubt this is enough for the bigs, but I would think it would do for a regional.

hmmm....

anotherwannabe said:
So what kind of hours are folks getting hired with for companies like ComAir, ASA, Expressjet, etc.? I have 1900, most of which is turbine/multi-engine. I doubt this is enough for the bigs, but I would think it would do for a regional.

I think you have more than enough to go to just about every regional, good luck.

It seems that most of you guys think that buying multi-time is the fast and easy way out for me. I've been flight instructing for 2 1/2 years now, worked another job, had to make three moves in that time period, spent two winters flying crappy equipment through the Rocky Mountains, and all the while have made barely enough to maintain my body weight. It hasn't been easy, but I'm not complaining- its also been really fun. The problem is I don't have the multi-time to apply for the next step. The regionals are where I want to be, and Im going to take my hard earned pennies, buy a 100 block of multi and possibly get my MEI and ATP within that block. That will put be at about 1500 and 170, which looking at the interview gouges and what people got hired on with, just might do it at some places. If it doesn't, back to the drawing board.

Aerosurfer said:
GO 135. Go 135. Go 135

Time spent flying freight is the best investment you can make. Your skills will increase ten-fold.

I think that every airline pilot should have to fly 6 months of freight. You wont regret the decision at all and you will be gobbled up by any regional that you want

Even if you did 3 months you'll be better off, but he's right.

Latest resources

Back