Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cfi on the fly

Need Your Advice...

Ok... I really want to get on with a regional quickly but don't meet the ME time for most of them...I have about 70 hours multi now. I don't have my MEI and don't really want to instruct to get the time-no twins where I live anyway. I could probably get on with a 135 outfit flying twins, but I would really like to skip this step too. Not being lazy, its just that I need to get on with things...Im starting to feel old. I've got some cash saved up and I'm thinking I will just go buy the twin time down in florida, you know the one! I'll probably get about 50 PIC and 50 doing the Safety Pilot thing. First question, would you count the safety pilot time towards total multi time on the pilot applications? Second question, is this type of thing..buying the time, frowned on by interviewers? Anybody that has done this, or know of people that have, please chime in!! Thanks

Last edited:
Please Help

You know this pilot thing is just not working out. I have decided I really want to be a doctor now but I really don't have the time to actually study and learn how to become a doctor. I was thinking of going down to South America and paying a whole bunch of money to some shady outfit that guarantees that I will be a doctor in 6 months and said I will be just as smart and safe as all those doctors who really worked hard and studied. What do you guys think?

does this Sound pretty silly? There are mid 40 year olds and older in ground school at regionals all the time. Have you actually read posts on this website? It is not the place to be asking people if you should try to buy yourself experience.

SS

Go for it

I think if you've got the money to aford it, then go for it. This is the only thing that's holding you back, since you have plenty of TT and you HAVE to get the multi time up. Looking at your hours, I would try and somehow incorporate your ATP at the end of those 100hrs. Think of it....no better time than after you've flown that plane for 100hrs.... It's not PFT becaue you're not taking someone's job. You are building multi time....we've all paid for time throughout our career. Jsut a thought....

Squirrel- I don't think he is talking about a pft program....I think he is talking about allatps 100hr program....nothing wrong with it, its not pft, just time builder. And i think the fact he already has 1400 hrs. disqualifies him from being a "Lazy Doctor"

Last edited:
So... you are saying it's a bad idea??

Look, I pay $500 in flight loans every month just to have the priveledge of instructing right now. It seems to me that I'm paying to fly whatever I do, don't need a lecture on PFT...I just don't want to use up another year of life looking for 30 hours of twin time.

So you are saying you want to throw more money at something you don't know will pay out. How about this scenario. U.S. Airways tanks and all those pilots are looking for work. You went and spent a couple months trying to buy some twin time instead of getting on with a 135 outfit. So now you have more debt and no job and you are behind thousands of pilots with lots of 121 experience. The regionals raise the bar and now are requiring 500 multi. Are you in a better place? Are you getting experience that will move you forward in your career? I know people that put in 3-6 months at 135 outfits and then have offers at regionals. You are going to need your nest egg your first year as a regional FO.

SS

GO 135. Go 135. Go 135

Time spent flying freight is the best investment you can make. Your skills will increase ten-fold.

I think that every airline pilot should have to fly 6 months of freight. You wont regret the decision at all and you will be gobbled up by any regional that you want

Secret Squirrel said:
So you are saying you want to throw more money at something you don't know will pay out. How about this scenario. U.S. Airways tanks and all those pilots are looking for work. You went and spent a couple months trying to buy some twin time instead of getting on with a 135 outfit. So now you have more debt and no job and you are behind thousands of pilots with lots of 121 experience. The regionals raise the bar and now are requiring 500 multi. Are you in a better place? Are you getting experience that will move you forward in your career? I know people that put in 3-6 months at 135 outfits and then have offers at regionals. You are going to need your nest egg your first year as a regional FO.

SS

The part that i agree with is that 100 hours is not a silver bullet (or in your case probably around 150) I have the 100 hours of multi and over 1000 total and am still looking to build multi-time indefinitely, and its not always easy but I am already learning as mentioned above that minimums/competetive times can change in a heartbeat (indy guys on the street or even worse if USair tanks)

Secret Squirrel said:
How about this scenario. U.S. Airways tanks and all those pilots are looking for work. You went and spent a couple months trying to buy some twin time instead of getting on with a 135 outfit. So now you have more debt and no job and you are behind thousands of pilots with lots of 121 experience. The regionals raise the bar and now are requiring 500 multi.
An unlikely scenario. Over 6,000 pilots are on furlough right now, yet most regioal airline minimums haven't budged from 100-200 multi.

I know the risks involved..., I knew them from my first flight lesson. If the regional I get on with goes under- thats the way it goes. But I want the chance to get on. The merits of flying 135 go a long way, I know this too. But I am making the decision to do this anyway, so my real questions are how to submit any time that is safety pilot time, and what are interviewers going to say about getting a quick 100 multi?

Latest resources

Back