• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need some Virgin America Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You get 6 consecutive days with the same 'illness' and then you get put on CA program. It's a BS deal many of us have been advocating to see changed. From what I've heard it's being discussed as part of the comprehensive work rules changes being talked about between mgmt and a pilot committee right now. Word is we'll be going to a bank system like everyone else.

To be clear, here's how it works:
You get sick with the flu in Feb, you call off a 4-day and you get paid, no questions asked. You miss the next trip and you only get paid for the first two days of it, then you get to fill out the CA paperwork and collect from CA. Because VA is a CA company they can do this. Like I said, a BS deal.
Beyond that, say you call out again in June for a boil on your a$$. Again, you get paid for the first consectutive six days and have to file for CA SDI if you go beyond that.
If you have some sort of catastrophic illness and go out for awhile, you get paid for the first six days, then start drawing from a "catastrophic sick bank" that you accrued six days per year of (4 years = 24 days) at 3.5 per day. When that runs out you go on CA SDI for 6 months. After that we have co. paid LTD through a private insurance provider.

I'd bet many CA companies do this for the plain fact they can. CA has made it easy for companies to shuck this liability.

LTD at other Major Airlines either offset or add to state disability plans.

For instance Alaska if you are based in LAX and go on disability the LTD benefit of CASDI are added to the Alaska LTD benefit pay out.

Plus it pays the difference between CA and FO pay if you can't regain your first class medical.

Plus it provides for retirement funding.

Plus it provides for health care at employee cost share or retiree rates.

Plus it allows for outside income to NOT be counted toward an income offset of LTD benefits until a threshold is met.

And so on.

VA is a ship of fools being led by Ned!

I bet your LTD plan has a two year benefit period or is own occupation for two years and then any occupation.

Post the SPD and I will review it for you, Ned!

Snapshot-

That is the same program that my last (ALPA) airline had. Six days of medical and then transition to short term disability.
Perhaps I'm confused. It sounds like it's essentially 25 hrs of sick pay and then you get to fill out government forms and enter the system for 55% pay compensation. These are the same options offered to everyone after their hundreds of hours of sick time and vacation is expended.

Either that, or you have sick time that you aren't allowed to use when you're sick?

Whatever it is, I agree that it's messed up. If I break my leg, I take a vacation on full pay until it heals.....Or I can have them put me to work doing something else and not use the sick time.....Or I can take half pay and extend my sick time.....Or combine the options as I see fit. Regardless of the option I take, no government involvement, and the time I was required to use rebuilds at double the standard rate in case I need it again.

Plus all the stuff Spert mentioned if it's a catastrophic medical issue.

You honestly think $133 is the most we'll ever see? Really?! So there will NEVER, EVER be a pay raise at Virgin?
They may throw you some 1% crumbs every now and again, sure. However, if you don't stand up for yourselves and demand a contract, they are NEVER, EVER going to give you a comparable compensation package out of the kindness of their hearts.

Advanced theoretical physics is not required to know this. BTW, Einstein and Steven Hawking both worked under contracts.

Don't hate ALPA, just mindless fools like yourself who thinks ALPA "will take care of him because he's a 'good soldier' who won't question" any of the failings of the union.
Sir Richard is who's going to take care of you? He's certainly taken care of your pay and sick leave. You can really see the concern in his eyes.

Last edited:
Sorry, Dude, but you're wrong. Highest paid VX Captain is making $131 an hour TODAY.
Our senior guys are at $126/hr...

Seriously? Do you guys even know your own pay scale. Your top paid CA makes $120 according to APC. QX's top CA made $121. Yeah, its only a buck more...but its MORE. Pretty simple.

VA is a ship of fools being led by Ned!

Who don't even know their own pay scale or when their Board meets to set their compensation. Sad really.

They may throw you some 1% crumbs every now and again, sure. However, if you don't stand up for yourselves and demand a contract, they are NEVER, EVER going to give you a comparable compensation package out of the kindness of their hearts.

Exactly the point I've been trying to make for the last 4 years. But, they're so invested in the fantasy that they're the "new airline paradigm" they can't smell the outhouse they live in anymore.

Advanced theoretical physics is not required to know this. BTW, Einstein and Steven Hawking both worked under contracts.

No one is confusing VX pilots with theoretical physicists.

Sir Richard is who's going to take care of you? He's certainly taken care of your pay and sick leave. You can really see the concern in his eyes.

Well played, Sir!

Last edited:
Seriously? Do you guys even know your own pay scale. Your top paid CA makes $120 according to APC. QX's top CA made $121. Yeah, its only a buck more...but its MORE. Pretty simple.

My bad. Forgot that we have folks who were here before launch, so they are almost topped out. I believe that is where my esteemed Johnny Cash fan club member, Vega$ card dealer colleague in black came up with the $131/hr number. I know I know, it needs to change.

There are no QX gangly gansters making CRJ wages anymore. So your argument does not hold water. Turboprop wages for The Flaming Donut drivers in Eskimo colors now top out at $111/hr. Ok if you want to go back in time, time, time, then I will grant you that argument. But in the here and now, your math is in error.

Apparently you have missed the numerous times I have stated that I would consider unionization at some point. All of us here would. But the decision to do so is ours and ours alone, not yours, and not some crusty old Alaska pilot who is in love with ALPA.

You threw out the all encompassing statement that Virgin pilots will never see more than our current rates. There are so many variables that will occur during the existence of Virgin America, be it one more year or 100 years, to throw out such a definitive statement is at the very best just laziness on your part.

BTW who is going to take care of the ALPA pilots? ALPA's track record over the last 15 years or so is nothing to brag about.

Speaking of Alaska, just met a VA Captain who has been at VA for 4 years, and left Alaska to come here because (according to him) he was fed up with them. He's a lot happier at VA after 4 years here. I think that speaks volumes.

Keep in mind kids it's not just about pay. Consider an adequate match for a 401K. Consider a B fund. Consider adequate STD/LTD. Consider monthly health insurance premiums. The B6's and VX's will increase hourly pay $5 in the hopes the rest of the package is forgotten about or acceptable even though it is substandard.

Well, wasn't that the intent of this thread before it got hijacked by a bunch of ********************tards? To find out more about VX? Ask about training pay, 401k, health insurance, retirement etc...

This thread is 11 pages long, and only 1 answer to the original question.

There is an effort to stop the hijacking of threads, and bullying of members towards all airlines. I am not going to look back only forward on these threads.

Latest resources

Back