• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need some Virgin America Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except maybe the fact of ALPAs collusion in the existence of regional airlines to begin with. If they had held the line on scope there would be no such thing as an RJ.

How dare you interrupt his ALPA propaganda rant with facts!

It's economics not ALPA, teamsters, or an in house.

So economics, not unions, drive the pay and working conditions that airline pilots endure.

Thanks for recognizing what I have been saying all along - ALPA and other unions are impotent, lacking ability to affect any real change in the industry other than to suck money from a paycheck.

So economics, not unions, drive the pay and working conditions that airline pilots endure.

Thanks for recognizing what I have been saying all along - ALPA and other unions are impotent, lacking ability to affect any real change in the industry other than to suck money from a paycheck.

"Real change" is driven by each individual airline's "economic reality" (meaning financial health...). Imo, under the RLA, at the end of the day this is what drives a federal Mediator's position in negotiations, NOT what another airline pays. If a company is healthy (SW), a Mediator will be more inclined to lean harder on the company to offer a little more to get an agreement. If the company is not healthy, then all bets are off.

The "old school" mantra of blaming others for an individual pilot groups difficulty in gaining contractual improvements, is in reality most likely an unwillingness of the group to accept the fact that their company is in a bad way (at least in the eyes of the Mediator).

Alpa's E,F&I people are very good at independently verifying what a company is saying and what a Mediator is seeing. The problem is, is that when the message sucks we all want to shoot the messenger...

Just one dudes opinion..

S

I wasn't aware that ALPA voted on a contract. Individual pilot groups voted on scope. Again, a union did not make these decisions. I still don't understand why an Embry Riddle education justifies mainline pay and benefits for a pilot working for a regional. The economics and experience levels simply don't support it. A regional is not a career job. It never has been and never will be.

I wasn't aware that ALPA voted on a contract. Individual pilot groups voted on scope. Again, a union did not make these decisions. I still don't understand why an Embry Riddle education justifies mainline pay and benefits for a pilot working for a regional. The economics and experience levels simply don't support it. A regional is not a career job. It never has been and never will be.

Are you saying that you were not aware the ALPA president signs off on all contracts? Looks like you need to do some research about how your union functions.

If you do not believe that pilots flying mainline sized equipment, on mainline sized routes, deserve mainline type of pay, you are arguing against yourself. If you think paying foodstamp level wages for RJ pilots is acceptable, you have real problems.

Regional pilot jobs were historically not career positions. But due to the different ALPA groups consistently relaxing of scope and signing off on poverty level wages, thus making it economically viable for management, they have ensured it has become a career position.

Do yourself and everyone a favor, before you start touting the virtues of ALPA, learn how ALPA operates. And before you start talking about raising the bar, stop justifying poverty level pay for pilots flying mainline sized equipment.

Please don't misunderstand my posts. I'm not an apologist for ALPA and I'm certainly not singing it's praises. I appreciate what ALPA can do for us at Jetblue. For clarification though the by-laws stating the ALPA president signs off on a contract is akin to the propaganda Jetblue put out regarding ALPAs by-laws and pay caps which don't exist.
Also, just because you believe a regional has become a career position because of scope and the economy doesn't mean the contract between the legacy carrier and the regional will reflect this. This type of feed will always go to the lowest bidder. No union will change this.
Lastly, a pilot group for a major airline can negotiate with said major airline regarding its pay and benefits. It doesn't matter what size aircraft a regional operates if it can't negotiate directly with the major. All it can do is negotiate with the regional carrier. You pay and benefits will be based, traditionally, of the regionals operating budget and not the majors.
And no, I don't think a regional pilot is worth major pay and benefits. There is no argument justifying that sort of pay for a pilot who is hired with 500 hours TT.

It's "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Get it right, sheese....

Hey Lake Alice, you a Gator? If so, clever handle!

And no, I don't think a regional pilot is worth major pay and benefits. There is no argument justifying that sort of pay for a pilot who is hired with 500 hours TT.

Tell that to all of the 500 hour pilots hired by the majors in the 1960s.

Regional pilots are replacing the low end major jobs because the unions have allowed the easing of scope. United parked all of their 737's, furloughed over 1,400 pilots, and replaced them all with EMB-170s and CRJ-700 flown by low paid regional pilots because of the easing of scope restrictions. Northwest parked dozens of DC-9s and replaced them with EMB-175s and CRJ-900s from the low paid regionals. While Northwest didn't have pilots on furlough, they were able to hired significantly less by sending the pilots to the regionals.

Because of jets for jobs and the slowing of hiring at the majors, due to scope (as well as age 65) the regional has turned into a career stop for a lot of pilots. Many regional pilots have well over 10,000 hours and cannot get hired by a major because the major keeps outsourcing the regionals.

The fact that you think it is okay for these pilots to be paid poverty level wages is disgusting.

NEDoosh, are you for real? The ALPA president signs contracts as a formality. He NEVER intervenes in a contract, unless of course National takes control of an MEC. That has happened exactly once.

Latest resources

Back