Need some ATP written help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

Gents, I downloaded Gleims ATP test prep, figured I'm deployed so I may as well start working on my next licence/rating. Some questions for you guys in the know:

Are there seriously still LORAN-C questions on the ATP written? Didn't LORAN die a quiet death several years ago?

There are several different ATP writtens I can study for, 121, 135, and host of other ones. Assuming just the straight 121 is what I want?

There are performance data sections for the DC-9, 727, 737, and B-1900. Do I need to study up on all of them, or can you pick one when you walk in the door?

Thanks in advance, any other input appreciated.

Have you completed the Commercial exam? Your info says PPL.

Gents, I downloaded Gleims ATP test prep, figured I'm deployed so I may as well start working on my next licence/rating. Some questions for you guys in the know:

What, you don't want the ladies to answer?????

Are there seriously still LORAN-C questions on the ATP written? Didn't LORAN die a quiet death several years ago?

As far as I know Loran C is still being used but not for long. The Homeland Security Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2010 allows for termination of the LORAN-C signal on January 4, 2010. We will see....

There are several different ATP writtens I can study for, 121, 135, and host of other ones. Assuming just the straight 121 is what I want?

Study one or the other. I studied the 135 because I was flying 135 at the time so it worked for me.

There are performance data sections for the DC-9, 727, 737, and B-1900. Do I need to study up on all of them, or can you pick one when you walk in the door?

If you pick the 121 exam you will get performance questions for the larger aircraft, if the 135 you get the smaller aircraft questions. Look in the back of the book you may see a guide to question numbers for each exam.

First of all, thank you for your service! A lot of us are thinking about you guys and girls as we approach the holidays.

Yeah, unfortunately they still have some very outdated questions in there (LORAN C, NDBs, etc). Fortunately it's only a very small portion. The worst part about the whole written is the flight planning questions... They are absolutely ridiculous and have nothing to with reality. Just memorize them and move on.

You can do either 121 or 135, it doesn't matter. No employer will ask you which written you did, nor would they care. I did the 135 written as I was much more familiar with those regulations. Good luck!

Have you completed the Commercial exam? Your info says PPL.

Yeah, I have more than enough time.

Thanks wrx, how did the systems/etc. questions work? All airframes fair game or pick one?

Jafi, thanks, sorry didn't read your whole post firt time around. So there's no difference in the ATP ticket you put in your wallet regardless of which one you take?

Last edited:
No difference whatsoever on your certificate once you get the rating. The different airframes, your test will randomly pop up with one or the other, no way to pick and choose. IIRC, each "series" of flight planning questions (i.e. wgt/balance, T/O, fuel burn, ldg, etc.) will stick with one airframe. (It was a while ago, so may be different now............no comments about Ford Tri-motors, it wasn't that long ago!)

Sweet, so I get to learn them all?

More or less, yes. At least familiar enough with each so that you can easily perform any appropriate calculations. You will be provided with any/all necessary tables/charts/figures, a la AFM, for whichever airframe, so as long as you know how to use the various tables, it shouldn't be a big deal. Good luck!

When I took my ATP written I was able to choose between 121, or 135. I knew 121 regs better but the new job I received at the time was 135, so I took that instead. Would have been easier for me to pass the 121 version but at least it made me study the regs for 135. As for performance the airplanes are broken down into 121 and 135. Anything in the section you are taking you could be asked. I used gleim to study because it organizes the different sections much easier. The asa version you have to look at the title above each question to see if you need to study it 121/135/DX. As said above thank you for your service and be careful over there.

Thanks wrx, how did the systems/etc. questions work? All airframes fair game or pick one?

I believe it was just specific to the airframe under the regs... So if you're doing 135, you'd be dealing primarily with the 1900. Also, it doesn't really get too specific about systems, but there will be a lot of questions about performance and W&B. Can you receive mail where you're at? Maybe I can send some stuff out that would be helpful...

I'm actually on a short tour on the beach in a small middle eastern country. Headed back to the boat in a week. Thanks for the offer though. Planning on staying in the military for a while, but my commercial ticket is getting old, and for some reason I just feel like getting my ATP since I have the requirements met.

Latest resources

Back