Need some advice!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Prof

I have just joined the board, since I am about to become a student at 58! My pilot son has convinced me to return to flying after a 30 year absence. I have about 50 Hrs. in Navy trainers (T-34 & T-28) including aerobatics, but dropped out of training for family reasons.
I have the opportunity to train for the PPC in a tail dragger (Citabria 7ECA; pleasant memories of aerobatics). Since I don't plan to climb the ratings ladder, rather just fly for real fun again, is this a mistake? I can do this in an Arrow as well. What makes the most sense to those of you who have been in similar situations?

Thanks for reading!

Prof

I think taildraggers are a perfect way to learn. They really keep your head "out of the cockpit" when doing patterns, turns, etc. I am working on my taildragger endorsement now and wish I had done it a long time ago. The Arrow is also a good airplane and it's considered "high performance" and "complex" (i.e. >200HP engine with constant speed prop and retractable gear). I think the Citabria may be a little less expensive too.

Taildraggers

Taildraggers are for learning to fly the way it was meant to be learned!

I'd do it, notwithstanding the lesser cost. You'll probably fly tri-gear airplanes eventually, and will find them to be cake!

Better late than never. Flying for real fun is the only way to fly. Have a great time with your training!!

Hi...

El Cid....whoever told you an Arrow is high performance is wrong.
The PA28R-201 is rated at 200 HP.

High performance is an aircraft that is over 200 HP.

I'd love to have done my ppl in a taildragger. after your ppl, if you want to check out in the arrow it won't be a huge leaf. just a littel more complex, a little faster and of course the gear. nothing you cant pick up quick with some dual with a good instructor

I think going from a trike to a taildragger is more difficult. you have to "unlearn" some things

Flymach2:

Thanks for mentioning that. You're right, it's not high performance, but at least it's complex. You think when Piper designated the "201" they would have given the pilot an extra horse on the nose to make it high performance. :rolleyes:

Blue Skies & Tailwinds,

El Cid Av8or

Hi...

I don't know if you've had a chance to fly an Arrow, El Cid, but it's a lot of fun. A little heavy on the controls in my opinion, but never the less...enjoyable.

Sheers..

Yep, I've logged about 3 hours in an Arrow and I am getting ready to do a bunch more when I really get into the IFR training. They are a lot of fun and yes, a little heavy in the controls. Makes it feel like a "big" airplane ;) I still prefer the Beech Baron though :D

Question for ya: Would it be better for a career oriented pilot to do more time in an Arrow or a Cherokee 6/Cessna 182? It's a complex versus high peformance thing. I am going to start in a single and then try to do most in the Baron if the funds allow it. The one thing that makes and airplane fly is undoubtedly... MONEY!!! :eek:

If you can get your hands on a R182 (182rg) it's both complex and hi-performance -- and a great airplane. i don't know that it's a big deal for a career oriented pilot though - isn't multi time the big ticket?

Hi...

In my opinion, (and it's just that, my opinion), if you're getting your complex time in an Arrow, save your money for other training. The high performance single time isn't as important as the multi time needed for career advancement.

I do, however, recommend getting the High Performance endorsement. It will open quite a few doors as far as aircraft are concerned and is also a lot of fun.

I personally prefer the 182RG. Load it with full fuel, full cargo and 4 passengers and go. Cruise about 160 KIAS.

Just my $.02

Sheers

Latest resources

Back