• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
Hey guys,

I may need to fly into NY this Sunday from Canada (London- this is near Toronto). I need to pick up some supplies for the boss from NY. Apart from NYC and LGA, what airports are available for a C152 to land and park there for a day or so? I'm not familiar with NY, and am wondering what options are best.

The addresses of the place I need to go are:

1. 420 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001, USA
Between 33rd &
34th street

2. 50 W 20th Street
(Off 6th Ave)

New York, NY 10011

Would it be easier to just take a commercial flight into LGA and take a cab there??

Thanks for all insight,

Chris.

uwochris said:

Would it be easier to just take a commercial flight into LGA and take a cab there??

Yes... Otherwise, TEB is the closest GA airport to Manhattan.

uwochris, you tend to ask very good questions, which leads me to conclude that your are a pretty sharp pilot. A sharp pilot can do this trip. I say do your homework and go for it.

TEB is closest. I've never flown around the area in anything other than a DC9 or a Lear, always IFR, so I've only seen the problems from my side of the fence but I have noticed that their is a LOT of traffic in the area. If you file IFR, don't expect that ATC will seperate you from VFR traffic. You will need to fly their vectors with both eyes outside. I can't tell the number of times I was inbound to reliver airports around NJ and the controller would vector us into the pattern, which happened to already be full. It always worked out, but to be in that airspace doing 200kts in a Lear and worrying about a 70kt Piper was somewhat stressful. I realize that you'll be the 70 knot-er in the scenario, but I add it to remind you that there will be a big mix of aircraft with vastly different speeds in and around the area.

Good Luck,
enigma

Thanks guys (especially you enigma for those kind words!)

Using Microsoft Streets & Trips, it looks like TEB is within 16 miles from the two stores that I need to go; however, I'd imagine that taking a cab from TEB to those stores in NY would take a very long time due to traffic.

At the moment, I have no maps or sectionals. I have flown in the USA once in the past between Michigan and Wisconsin. This is a very short notice trip (I'd leave early Sunday) and need to return the same day. I have never flown into NYC area, and am a little worried about the airspace and restrictions to VFR a/c.

As far as TEB goes, what kind of airport is it? Is it class D? Will they charge me to park my C152 there for a few hours? Parking fees? etc. I just need to figure out if it's cheaper to take an airliner, or to fly there myself (weather permitting).

Thanks again!

Chris.

TEB is the closest, I fly in there in a Citation and pay about $150 (i think) for landing and parking. If you want to save some money have the FBO take you to the bus stops which will take you to the port authority. The bus ride is not bad, I would guess 45 minutes, including ride with FBO, to get into the city and it is a lot cheaper.

Hey Chris, I don't know if there's info on fees or not, but here's a link for Teterboro:

www.panynj.gov/aviation/tetframe.HTM

Maybe it was an isolated incident, since I've only been to KTEB a coupla times, but the last time I was filed IFR and was on an approx wide left downwind (being vectored) and they jerked me around for 20 mins. They kept leaving me high and widening me out to put faster jet traffic in underneath me, and I was in a Navajo, so I sure as shootin' wouldn't want to do it in a 152.

What about Islip (Long Island MacArthur)? I've only been to KISP a few times, too, but at least all of those were pleasant...

---go to toronto and hop on a airline that will have you there in a lttle over an hour vs an entire day in a c152 going into some of the densest, complicated airspace in the country (you did say it would be a first). not to mention wx. seems like a no brainer. a c152?-sounds like torture. :)

Last edited:
TEB would surley be the closest. KFRG out on Long Island would work but the ride to downtown would kill you, it would be an hour with light traffic. ISP is even further. The airspace around TEB is very complex, it puts you right next to EWR, and TEB is just as busy. My $.02 ... if you are IFR certified I would file. Like enigma said, you might get vectored all over the place but you will be talking with ATC and they will prevent you from busting airspace. If you are not IFR I would encourage you to get VFR flight following as you approach the metro area. Again, you'll be talking to someone, you'll have a beacon code, and they can help you get into TEB.

One more thing... the weather for Sunday in NY metro calls for rain and possibe thunderstorms.

Don't fly into TEB, too expensive and too congested. Either go to KCDW or KMMU. CDW is much cheaper than TEB. MMU is alittle bit pricey as well but better than TEB. CDW is only about 25 min drive from NYC and MMU is about 30-35 mins from the city. Don't even think about landing the 152 at LGA, JFK, EWR, etc.

Latest resources

Back