Need Help ASAP!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
semperfido said:
hop on a airline that will have you there in a lttle over an hour vs an entire day in a c152 ... seems like a no brainer to me. :)

Seems like a no brainer to me too except I come to the exact opposite conclusion! I think this person *likes* to fly, and prefers to fly himself.
In that case I would rather spend any amount of time in a light aircraft than battle the airlines, LBP airport traffic and parking, TSA, surely staff, yadda.
Now if there is a time crunch or the weather is iffy, that would change it for anybody.

Don't limit yourself to taking a cab to where you need to go. It might or might not be the fastest, and it will cost $$$. NYC has excellent public transportation, and it's how most people get around.

Since you're coming from the north, I'd go into one of the airports like HPN or SWF and take the train in. I think both have Customs on the field. The train will be about $14 off-peak/ $19 peak round trip, and will get you to Grand Central Station, where you can catch the subway or bus to where you need to go. They are both busy, but not extremely so. They should be able to fit a 152 in, IFR or VFR. I don't know what their landing fees are like.
You could also take the train in from FRG or ISP, but you would have to cross Long Island Sound, and the airspace in CT is extremely busy.

All the train and subway schedules you would need are here.

Have fun!

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, it looks like I will not be flying myself in the 152, due to weather forecast and also due to lack of supplies (I couldn't get any sectionals and AFD's in time).

So, my journey begins tonite! I got very little sleep last nite because I was stressed out thinking about flying there myself (all for nothing!). I will be driving to DTW tonite, leaving around midnite. My flight departs DTW at 6:45 am :( That's not the worst part... I fly from DTW-PHL-LGA. Once I get to LGA, I find my way to the stores and pick up the equipment. Once done, I fly back to DTW the very same day (LGA-PIT-DTW). That's 4 different commercial flights within less than 12 hours!!!! Once I return to DTW, I drive back (about 3 hours) home. I get some sleep, show up to the office in the morning, where I will be flying my mighty 152. I'm sure I will be sick of flying by that point in time!

If all the new supplies work, I will be leaving on an assignment possibly monday/tuesday that will take me from the West coast of Canada, to the East coast, and back to SW Ontario. This will be a very hectic and stressful 2 weeks!

ps- I will be on the following flights (If anyone here is a pilot on them, I'd love to come say hi!)

1. DTW-PHL: US Airways Express (Mesa) flight 2915 (ERJ)
2. PHL-LGA: US Airways Express (Piedmont) flight 3820 (Dash 8)
3. LGA-PIT: US Airways flight 733 (A319)
4. PIT-DTW: Us Airways Express (TSA) flight 3506. (ERJ)

Sorry you didn't get to fly yourself.. I am not sure why people are so freaked out about going into a congested area in a small aircraft? I am on the left coast but have done SF bay/LA/Portland/Reno/Oshkosh myself and it was always fun.. now I know those probably pale in comparison to New York, but hey, its an adventure.

My wife grew up near HPN and since meeting her I have been out there a bunch... if you have to do this trip again in the future I agree about the train -- just get a ride from airport to train station and it takes you right to grand central.

semperfido said:
AC700 06:30 07:55 CRJ 0 $286

why didn't ya just take this nonstop out of pearson? :)

I used cheaptickets.com and I never saw that flight!! It would have been much much easier though.

That's an ambitious schedule! I hope it goes off without a hitch! Those are three of the most delay-ridden airports in the Northeast.

Once you are at LGA, do you know how you are going to get into Manhattan?

Expense account:
Contact one of the numerous car companies for a ride. They all drive Lincoln Town Cars and having one at your disposal for a few hours shouldn't cost too much. The drivers are usually more knowledgable and less scary than the yellow cabs. The cabs will probably cost more, too.

No expense account:
Buy a $10 Metrocard at LGA, and then catch the M60 bus out in front of the terminal to Astoria Blvd. Free connection to the N or W train into Manhattan, where you can take a bus or the sidewalk to your destination.

uwochris said:
I used cheaptickets.com and I never saw that flight!! It would have been much much easier though.

that's what ya get for being cheap :) all kidding aside -i just went to air canada website and wha-la :)

Latest resources

Back