Need examples of "Pilot Fatigue" type schedules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Slave2theGrind

I'm doing a grad paper on "pilot fatigue" and need some examples of typical fatigue inducing schedules. You can delete your companys info, I just need the duty times. Thanks!!!

What examples, specifically, do you want?

All you need to know is that there are quite a few airlines (like the one I work at) that REGULARLY schedule 8-hr reduced rest, followed by at least 5 flights the next day.

I'm doing a grad paper on "pilot fatigue" and need some examples of typical fatigue inducing schedules. You can delete your companys info, I just need the duty times. Thanks!!!

Looking at the Aircraft you have flown, seems you would already have some good examples.

What examples, specifically, do you want?

All you need to know is that there are quite a few airlines (like the one I work at) that REGULARLY schedule 8-hr reduced rest, followed by at least 5 flights the next day.

Not just reduced rest. But starting early in the morning on the first day of a 4 day, then finishing on 4th day late.

Even with the required rest it still screws with your body's pattern from adjusting from day flying to night flying.

This sucks just as bad as 8hr rest.

I start a 4 day tomorrow morning at 0450and end on sunday at 2125. I should be fairly tired by the time I get to drive an hour and a half home.

Heres an example for you...

You can be scheduled to be on duty for 16 hours on day1. You end day 1 at 10 PM.

8 Hours of rest. (includes waiting for hotel to pick you up, ride to / from the airport, eat, shower, all that)

Day 2 Show at the airport at 6 AM, be on duty for another 16 hours.

Then you get 14 hours of rest to recoupe.

8 Hours is hardly enough rest. What people don't understand is that is isn't 8 hours of sleep. It's 8 hours from stepping off the airplane - to stepping back on again....so when its all said and done, you have 4 or 5 hours of sleep. Thats a problem.

Here's one of my favorites:

1830 Dep PHX
1900 Arr TUS
2000 Dep TUS
2100 Arr LAS
2330 Dep LAS
0230 Arr SAT
0600 Dep SAT
0730 Arr PHX

Repeat for 5-6 days, then two days off, etc.

It's more than just duty times. It's how many legs, what time of day. Are you switching from late nights to early or vice versa. (And not just during one trip -- changes from week to week make a difference too.) How short are the overnights. Personally, I've found 11-12 hours are about the minimum to get a decent nights sleep. How many long breaks during the day between flights. These are tiring. What's the operation like? Delays, Performance Issues, Maintenance all add to fatique issues. Did the compamy make you do a nap (COD) before starting your regular trip. Once you get fatigued, it can take days to recover.

Or a reporter. Remember, reporters, rarely paint us in a favorable light. I wouldn't give industry inside info to an outsider that easily.

Latest resources

Back