Need 411 on Empire Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ummmm....nope. Wrong again!
Who ever you are your certainly arent a line pilot and I couldn't care less. Just when you think things cant get any worse, they get out a shovel and start digging deeper. Every day my fellow pilots and I are treated like the white crust in the corner of a dry mouth and literally every day we lose some sort of benefit which reduces our already meager earnings. Almost forgot, no life...ever. We travel/move constantly away from our loved ones and home. Forget about trying to plan a day off because as soon as you do you will lose it. 3 days off in the last 90 days for me. ALL HOLIDAYS AWAY FROM HOME AND FAMILY. If I hear that Empire is a moral, familiy style business again I'll puke. Think this is just me? Nope, every pilot and mechanic (they feel worse) hates how they are treated. The I dont give a fuk attitude among employees is palpable. F/Os are trying to fly as much as they can (trip trade) to upgrade and move on and the PICs (the true whipping boys) are trying to get their 1000 ASAP! With such a good group of pilots, the amazing job that they do and the dispicable way their treated I wonder how some people sleep at night. I know I dont- because I'm always working.

blingair,
I have resisted replying to this thread for a long time, but I really feel sad for ya. I remembr earlier you telling me that you were going to stay the course and make Empire the place to be, or at least your place to be. You have got to pull yourself away from the edge. Based on what has been put on here it seems the management of Empire has choosen to value itself and the company more than its people (now you say the mechanics are unhappy too). This is too bad, when a small company takes itself more seriously than it should it loses, everytime. There is simply no reversing it. As a pilot you should not be as worried as you are. You, along with the mechanics, are the lucky ones, you have a marketable skill. I know it may not seem that way, but find some pilots who have been furloughed or had their company go away, if they made an effort pretty much all have ended up on their feet and many have ended up in improved situations. Just look at all the ex-TWAers at UPS and FedEx. My advice is keep fighting the good fight, but take a step back and understand most of those you are fighting with, middle managers, paper pushing HR types, and dispatchers, have less possibilities for their future if Empire doesn't work out and this puts you in an enviable position from their viewpoint. Get you time at Empire and start looking for an airline with at CBA, that requires a union, and a place you can make a life at.
Good luck and feel free to pick apart my grammar, my spelling, my lack of intelligence or whatever else, but I hope you can find some peace. That OE will taste less bitter, if that is possible.
sline

Thanks man. They made it pesonal when they starting messing with my sick mom and christmas time. Basically the last straw. Just waiting for my union card in the mail.

Just one pilots opinion, but saying DP in dispatch is a real champion for the pilots is like saying MK in HR is a real sweet lady and just wants to help.
The one example I can think of this is when we started to get short on pilots, they would pull them out of SEA and when I asked why we were working away from home, and flying so much he told me that the SEA pilots had more time off and were at home more than any other base. (This was right after they had to pull me off a JNU turn to have enough time left to go to CWA and fly for a week without going over 100 hours that month.)
The only reason per diem and things changed around there in 2000-01 was because they just couldn't get pilots to come and stick around there. If dispatch was involved somehow in making pilots comp packages better it was because of benefits they would have received. IE more reliability and enough pilots who stuck around to be upgraded. As you know that came to a screeching halt on 9/11.
Please do not misunderstand me. I really enjoyed working there and the people in COE for the most part were fair to me, and like I have said in the past that when I left it was time for me to leave.

I don't know how to edit the posts anymore. I guess I should say that Julyabee if your initials are DP (but your bdays in Dec) or if you are in dispatch and are a JP or DB, I take back what I said. You never treated me wrong, and you know more of the inside goings on and what you say I do truly respect.

F & B, hey brother. Dude, we do nothing but travel. Bases mean very little.
We travel (hotel, rental car, per diem etc.) to cover a base so they don't have to pay six day pay. I only fly four days in my base this month not to mention we always fly Captain on Captain which is incredibly dangerous in my book.

Oh yes, almost forgot. My posts here have been printed off and handed to my bosses. Aparently free speach is yet another benefit we've lost.

Take Care,
Richard.

F & B, hey brother. Dude, we do nothing but travel. Bases mean very little.
We travel (hotel, rental car, per diem etc.) to cover a base so they don't have to pay six day pay. I only fly four days in my base this month not to mention we always fly Captain on Captain which is incredibly dangerous in my book.

Oh yes, almost forgot. My posts here have been printed off and handed to my bosses. Aparently free speach is yet another benefit we've lost.

Take Care,
Richard.
Long time listener, first time poster.

I ran into some of your guys in MEM a while back and I must say things sound very bad at Empire Airlines.

How do they know who you are? Without any proof, taking action without knowing who someone is would be very hard to prove. If they fire you I would get a lawyer and sue for slander. Nothing would push a group more into the arms of a union than terminating a good employee for speaking his mind.

Good luck. It sounds like you pilots need a union.

Latest resources

Back