Need 411 on Empire Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flylowman

I have recently received a call from Empire Air requesting a phone interview. What can you tell me about them? What is the schedule like? Insurance? How many flight hours per month? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

You will have a 1/2 hour phone interview with Belinda Jones (HR) and the Chief Pilot. Very nice both of them. She will give you the tipical HR questions, Why Empire? What do you know about us? Do you know who we fly for? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? The Chief told me about the three positions they had available here in Texas (AFW). I guess I was asking too many questions, because she cut me short saying they had another phone interview waiting. The one that had been waiting was me, because that day she called me early to move my interview to another time because the Chief was test flying an airplane. I said I did not have any problems and she thank me for being so understanding. Finally they called one hour after the time we agreed.

Anyway, read their website, and airlinepilotcentral.com to figure out their pay. They were looking for FO's for the F27. $26K year. I can't live with that. You have to pay your way to their base. I heard you need to fly to Spokane and then rent a car to drive for 45'. Also you will need to pay your way the first day of trining. What I asked (and did not get an answer) was if they pay during training and if they put you up in a hotel.

I've got a letter from her three days later saying that I was not selected to be invited for a site visit. That was nice of her. Other recruiters will nor even bother to send you an email.

Good luck to you.

I have recently received a call from Empire Air requesting a phone interview. What can you tell me about them? What is the schedule like? Insurance? How many flight hours per month? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Empire is a great company. The flight schedules vary - most of our 121 operations depart in the evening and return the next morning - a few are out in the morning and back in the evening. Hotel rooms are provided for flights that spend more than a few hours in the outstation. Some of our routes are 4 days a week, some are 5, and one is 6 - only one leaves you away from your base on the weekend and rotation usually provides that each crew only have to be away one weekend a month. Flight hours very greatly by base.

Insurance is provided after six months - not bad - deductible doubled after 9/11 - but most things are covered 80/20 after that.

As far as A300FE's interview - it is very rare for us to have to postpone/delay interviews - he just got lucky. He is partially correct - you are on your own to get to the interview and your first day of work, but once you're here, you are paid and are put up in a hotel and provided a company or rental car. As far as the drive - yeah, COE is about an hours drive away from GEG.

Hope this helps!

For a few, Empire is a great company. Personally I never met those people. Just the people who were frustrated and pissed off all the time. Just keep in mind if you go there you will sign a wicked contract for a year and a half and if you upgrade your first officer and captain contracts run end to end.
Ya, they pay for your hotel and even pay you at a reduced rate during class because it's all billed back to fedex. When it comes to Empire's money they are very cheap and wouldn't even consider paying your way around the corner.
I left there two months ago for Skywest (the bestX10 decision I've ever made, of course I won't be making any money for some time because I have to pay off the 12% on my contract that they just threw on top for no reason) but still keep in touch with my friends and they say things are getting much worse because there is a large group of first officers who are upgrading but the company is not going by senority but picking who gets to go where.

Hope this helps!

still keep in touch with my friends and they say things are getting much worse because there is a large group of first officers who are upgrading but the company is not going by senority but picking who gets to go where.

This statement is so incredibly incorrect. Bid assignments are given by seniority and what has been requested on the standing bids...

It's 110% correct. Bid assignments SHOULD be given by seniority and what is on standing bids but thats not whats happening. Empire is standing up to it's long history of putting the people who they want, where they want. Company discretion, right?

What do I care if you rosey up the company and get another group of disgruntled pilots in your midst, I'm not the one who has to constantly hear them pi$$ and moan. I never have to pretend to like the company ever again.

Empire puts people where they bid to be. In six years I have seen very few forced to move and that has been because of a change in the customers needs.

You're right - you do not have to pretend to like the company - and boy according to your posts you don't! Time to take a chill pill and move on buddy! Very sorry your experience at EA wasn't what you dreamed of - it's time you learn that sometimes in life things just are the way you want them!

Very sorry your experience at EA wasn't what you dreamed of - it's time you learn that sometimes in life things just are the way you want them![/quote]

Yes, sometimes things ARE the way you want them. I did move on and yes when I see the amount on the check I write to Empire (it should be fedex) every month I have the right to feel very bitter. I could handle the constant travel and the shady dealings but when I signed my lame training contract (after my training was done) I expected them to live up to their end of the bargin. But instead I got a very nasty collection agency and 12% on top of my bloated contract amount. Of course none of this was in the contract.

The only people sent to collections were the ones that stopped paying on the contract that they signed.

Did you sign a contract for your current company?

Latest resources

Back