NDB approaches???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NDBs

Still quite a few little U.S. airports have NDB approaches. In other parts of the world, where the system is not as well-developed as ours, NDB approaches are very much alive and living. When I was teaching Alitalia students nine years ago, we put a great deal of emphasis on NDB and VOR approaches, and even had turbojet profiles we taught to the students for these approaches. That blew my mind at the time until I realized that Alitalia flies to less-developed parts of the world. I read once that Air Canada turbojets fly NDB approaches regularly because there is nothing else where they fly sometimes.

Still a valuable skill to hone. NDBs are indeed your father's instrument approach procedure.

Last edited:
since you asked about NDB approaches, here's a tip;

(this may be a little off); if you turn 30 degrees onto your procedure turn and fly that heading for a minute and then start a standard rate turn to your final approach course, you'll have intercepted the approach course perfectly, assuming no wind.

NDB

I hope the NDB equipment isn't phased out in the US for quite some time. Finding news/talk radio on AM stations was half the fun of my cross country flight training.:D

Latest resources

Back