Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NDB Approaches / Holds on Mesaba interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sf3boy said:
Was I exaggerating some? Of course I was, but my point is that those instructors are there because they are cheaper than what it would take to pay a pilot instructor.

They're cheaper for now, however, after 2 years they get a seniority number and are given a choice to go to the line or stay in the training dept. If they stay a FTI, they get 100hrs of Captain pay in whatever they're teaching. Not so cheap, but by that time I'm sure they know the airplane better than any line pilot. There is a place for line experience, but it's more in the sim than during ground.

Believe me, I had the same conserns that you did, until I when in the training dept. The green guys are GREEN, and those with a couple of months teach are very good. The chick everyone was bitching about a few months back is the same girl everyone is requesting now.

The good thing is that at least they are qualified pilots, unlike some institutions that let ramp agents teach thier ground schools.

sf3boy said:
Come to think of it, I am not sure if in recent years XJ has had a line pilot teaching systems.

Mike Bierscheid is a qualified line guy that only does ground instruction; one of best instructors I've ever had.

Sounds like the 'boy' is the type that finds something to complain about in any environment.

If if sucks so bad, why stick around? Don't give any BS about "I have too much invested..." that the candy way out.

Why make everyone else's sunny skies dark? Why brings others down with your gloom?

sf3boy said:
Even the head training dept guys at XJ told us in my last class that they were looking to hire all outside intructors that have zero experience because they are willing to do it for way cheap.

Remember, at XJ, $afety first.

OK, so 'boy', making decisions based solely on money is an evil thing that ONLY management will do? Right?

sf3boy said:
I would do it if they paid me, but they won't, so I won't.

I stand corrected.

Just let complainers keep on complaining,with other complainers, and they will complain their way out of a complaining contest...and complain about it.

Now THAT is a vicious cycle.

BoDEAN said:
This true? If so, have to hit the sim ASAP.

Be up on your IFR procedures before you interview, it will be obvious if your're not.

If you get hired, the best thing that you could do is be up to snuff on your IFR flying skills. It will make your training so much easier. The instructors won't take much time to teach you that kind of stuff, they will assume you know how to already. That way you can concentrate on all of the procedures, callouts and profiles. Good luck.

UPDATE: the very first approach on my checkride was the full NDB 31 at RST. Too bad the update that deletes this thing doesn't take effect til the 29th.
KNOW HOW TO FLY AN NDB

I just fliped through my daily logg Oct 04 - yesterday. I am DTW SF-340 FO at Mesaba and flew 12 NDB approaches in the last 10 month while flying the line, 4 where in one week at up at CIU it is the only approach when the wind is out of the north or when the LOC is out of service. Avr over 1 a month

So to answer any questions yes you had better be comfortable flying NDB holds and approaches. Not just for the sake of the interview.

othello said:
I just fliped through my daily logg Oct 04 - yesterday. I am DTW SF-340 FO at Mesaba and flew 12 NDB approaches in the last 10 month while flying the line, 4 where in one week at up at CIU it is the only approach when the wind is out of the north or when the LOC is out of service. Avr over 1 a month

So to answer any questions yes you had better be comfortable flying NDB holds and approaches. Not just for the sake of the interview.

Must suck to fly NDB's. LOL

I agree Othello. Until they are all gone, or we are no longer authorized, the NDB approach for XJ is more than an interview obstacle. For all you CFI's out there, do yourself and your students a favor and shoot a few NDB approaches to minimums.

When I was hired back in 1999, Mesaba didn't even ask about NDB's, nor did they wanted to see it done in the sim. Before I left Mesaba, we couldn't do the NDB in either CIU or MQT. Can't remember which city. I think it was CIU. Is that still unauthorized? Is Scott Keoppl still there?

Scott is still here, and the NDB in CIU was back on after a couple of months that is was off due to accuracy problems. Still just as inaccurate but authorized. Just fyi, if you tune in the loc for 16 when shooting ndb 34 and use it for EXTRA info. it makes the ndb appr. much more accurate. DEAD on for 34 as a matter of fact.

Mesabi Miner said:
I noticed quite a few NDB approaches being pulled from our last Jepps revision as well. Still doing them in the sim for PCs and RFTs however.

MM

Noticed that too. KAZO got rid of the NDB

Latest resources

Back