Navy Pilots better than Air Force

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Axel said:
The AF labors under the mistaken impression that power controls speed while pitch controls altitude. The USN correctly operates under the law that pitch controls speed and power altitude.

There's your answer.

Well, there you have it: next time you Eagle/Viper drivers need to extend out of the fight at Mach 1+, lower the nose more! Why do you waste so much effort (and fuel) going to full blower??

siucavflight said:
I have been going to the Chicago Air and Water Show for some twenty years now. Meaning that I have seen the Blue Angels there and the Thunderbirds both ten times. And I will say that I have seen the Blue Angels touch each other 0 times in flight and the Thunderbirds touch 1 time in flight(this Saturday) dropping a missle rail into the water very near my boat.

The only thing I can reason from this is that Navy pilots are far superior to Air Force pilots.

The Blue Angels fly 18 inches apart. Bah, the T-birds do it at 0 inches. Much better. The missile rail was just a show of bombing techniques. Lucky for you that they had poor marksmanship.

Airforce bumping and not crashing proves superiority. Every time the Navy guys bump... well I think everyone knows what happens.

Carl_Spackler said:
Here is how I rank the skill level of pilots

1. Civil Air Patrol

2. Navy

3. Airforce

4. Everyone Else

I believe that if I had a list, CAP would be dead last on it, they are some of the worst pilots that I have ever come across.

This was posted on another forum I like to go to.

Dear akmoon: Army fixedwing [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]pilots[/font] are the best short field takeoff and landing [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]pilots[/font] in the world, VFR. IFR, the army and the [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font] have the highest fixed wing and helicopter accident rates IFR from defective IFR training.

There accident rates are higher than all world aviation entities combine, or where up to eight years ago. I can't say what it is now.

I would go [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Airforce[/font], and I am only partial to them for their IFR training which has been adopted by most airlines. When an airline, again, eight years ago, had to hire an army or [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font], marine, coast guard pilot, it was a pain to have to spend 3 to 4000 dollars an hour in simulators and actual aircraft to rub out their defective army and [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font], marine, coast guard defective training.

Agian, I have been retired from the airlines eight years now, but, back eight years ago, this was the situation.

NASA did a three or four year study of newly graduated IFR rated [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]airforce[/font], [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font], and army [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]pilots[/font] in a T-33 flight simulator.

They taught them how to fly the simulator first; then, without mentioning anything about the defects in army and [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font] IFR cross checking when adding fatique to a flight, they did just that.

They put departure control and radios on right side of pilot seat in NASA T-33 simulator behind the pilot so he/she would have to turn around to tune in radio during missed approach.

When they added fatique, four or five hour solid IFR weather flight, at destination would have them make a missed approach and contact departure.

Army cadets crashed the simulator the most, about forty percent of them crashed trying to execute the missed approach.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Navy[/font] was next, with about 33 percent, if my memory serves me right. They crashed into the ground during missed approaches.

During the entire three or four year NASA experiment, not one [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]airforce[/font] cadet ever crashed the simulator during the missed approach because of their superior IFR cross check and the training that drumbed into their brains fly the aircraft first and perform no cocpit transmissions until 400 ft absolute altitude.

The major defect in army and [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font] is their training manuals allow cadets going for IFR rating to look at a pressure instrument, like VS or Altimeter, see the need for a correction, and make the correction looking at the pressure instrument.

When you induce a long flight, or they discovered over an hour or so, army and [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]navy[/font] IFR newly rated cadets would tend to loose mental attitude awareness of the simulated aircraft.

While in the [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Airforce[/font] training manual, AF manual 51-37, which teaches zero zero takeoffs and landings, never breaking VS if pitot static system ices up, and cross check that requires they cannot make a correction on a pressure instrument, but must go back to the attitude indicator and make the correction there, reaffirm wings level and little aircraft on straight and level bar so they would hold their heading and altitude.

Reduced cross check was also simpler. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Navy[/font] and army cross check looks at too many instruments. For example, [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]airforce[/font] considers turn and slip instrument an emergency instrument and it is not included in cross check. Neither is the Altimeter, unless VS cannot be used because of turbulance.

So [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]airforce[/font] cross check is from attitude indicator to first instrument that is instantaneous in trending off zero, VS; but, if turbulance, then, of course, they go to altimeter.

But, typical cross check would be from attituded indicator to vertical speed, and if VS show trend within 50 feet per minute up or down, back to attitude indicator to correct, reaffirm wings level to hold heading and little aircraft on horizon bar. Then back to VS to see if correction worked.

They do not include altimeter in cross check in smooth, stratus clouds as it can be seen out of pherepheral vision as can airspeed in straight and level flight. They teach student to stay on attitude indicator up to 9 seconds before checking out a correction on VS or Altimeter if turbulance.

They recommend four cross checks from attitude indicator to VS or altimeter and then go to heading indicator, but agian, if have not held attitude indicator wings level and have drifted off course five degrees, they cannot correct looking at heading incicator but must go back to attitude indicator and make a five degree banked turn back to heading then back to attitude indicator to VS or Altimeter if turbulance four cross checks and then check heading.

Each time they go back to attitude indicator, they stay there after correction up to 9 seconds to reaffirm wings level and aircraft is level with horizon bar. Very simple cross check. Try it, and it will shock you how easy it is and easy to learn.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Airforce[/font] also stresses much, the oldest flying rule there is-fly the aircraft first. If controllers start overwhelming you, they just say standby until they have gotten their aircraft perfectly set up and then reply. They are really trained to fly the aircraft first before anything else.

That is why they did not get tricked by turning to right and looking behind right side of simulator seat to tune in departure as they must, except for gear up and sometimes flapps up and go-round EPR perform no ATC transmissions except on missed approach which they are alread on tower when they do this and have been cleared to land. When tower says contact departure 126.956, the [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]airforce[/font] cadets fly the aircraft first, flying the attitude indicator at an obvious normal rate of climb attitude until 400 feet absolute altitude before messing with ATC and frequency change to departure.

Hope this is helpful to you. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Airforce[/font] has helicopters too, but I know from your post your want to get your hands on those army attach tank busters. ha.ha.ha.

Welcome to TAF and good luck on whatever you decide.

Sincerely yours: IGIVEUP.

Good little read,
Duck

ToiletDuck said:
Good little read,
Duck

You're kidding, right?

Air Force pogues are better because they fly instruments better?

"Bandits at 12-o'clock! Red Two, enter holding! Red Three...you and Red Four fly a partial panel ILS to a missed! I'm going to fly an NDB to minimums!"

geez!

"Find the enemy and shoot him down. Everything else is rubbish!"
- Manfred von Richtofen

They don't talk about what happened when the air force guys were given a failure of the AI.....

It doesnt matter, the USAF is the best air force in the world and the USN is the best navy in the world. Why were they created any ways, to help the army....everyone knows the coasties are the best pilots anyways, duh!

Latest resources

Back