Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SandyLab

FI Supporter
In the Air Force we use the AF 781 to convert our flight times from hours:minutes to decimal. I'm curious what the other services use. Army, Navy, etc.? Do we all use the same charts in the military or are we recording times differently?

Navy uses "yellow sheets." Actually, I think the official name is Naval Flight Record (NAVFLIR)...but, like so many things in the Navy, one base calls it one thing and another calls it something else. A copy can be found here:

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/aviati...s/References/OPNAV 3710/3710_7t MARCH 04.pdf

Figure 10-2 shows an example. Just above 10-2, you will see what the Navy bubbas use to sign for the plane.

Thanks mule, but I don't see the time conversion chart like we have on the Air Force 781 where we convert the hours and minutes to hours and tenths.

In my squadron many moons ago it was entered into a computer (NALCOMIS) and it automatically converted the times for you.

Re-reading your question, I understand more about what you are asking...I think.

You want to know if we are all on the same page as far as:

1-6 minutes = .1
7-12 minutes = .2

etc....

Is that what you are wondering?

Re-reading your question, I understand more about what you are asking...I think.

You want to know if we are all on the same page as far as:

1-6 minutes = .1
7-12 minutes = .2

etc....

Is that what you are wondering?

Yes, what does the Navy use for the conversion table? Or do they have one?

It is all done by the mighty computer. I will check the next time I am in...but I believe it is just like the USAF.

Yes, what does the Navy use for the conversion table? Or do they have one?

The Air Force has a 455 page manual and at least three 0-5s staffed in an office somewhere in a remote part of the Upper Midwest that closely guards, updates and disseminates the calibration codes for changing minutes into decimals.

We in the Navy have:

1-6 minutes is .1 ... 7-12 minutes is .2 ... 13-18 mnutes is ...

Capeche?

In the Air Force we use the AF 781 to convert our flight times from hours:minutes to decimal. I'm curious what the other services use. Army, Navy, etc.? Do we all use the same charts in the military or are we recording times differently?

A solid grasp of fractions were a requirement prior to winging in the Navy. Afraid you're getting shorted?

We in the Navy have:

1-6 minutes is .1 ... 7-12 minutes is .2 ... 13-18 mnutes is ...

Well, it used to be

1-2 min = .0
3-8 min = .1
9-14min = .2
etc.

I suspect it still is. The chart was on the back (?) of the yellow sheet, now the computer does it.

I think the real answer is that the navy uses real logbooks not some computer printout. so when you go to an airline interview you take your logbooks and some kind of spread sheet you ginned up to show how you converted your military time to that airline's civilian time according to their application.

Latest resources

Back