• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pistlpetet said:
bssthound said:
Were you trying to spell "disgrace?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
quote]

Oh you got me Teach. However, not bad considering I was drunk, at 3am, in Bangkok.

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble.

Oh you got me Teach. However, not bad considering I was drunk, at 3am, in Bangkok.

Naw, dude, you got me!!;)

For all you Navs that are commercial pilot wantabe's please keep the faith! Your nav time does help, ieven if it's only indirectly. My WSO/NAV time VERY MUCH helped me get a job with a Major Airline and here's how: 1. It helped me get all my pilot ratings in min time. (I wasted no money) Not because I was gods gift to aviation, but because I spent the previous ten years with a stick and throttles and working the radios. 2. It helped me get a commuter and regional job in min time because the companies I applied valued my experience and situational awareness. 3. It helped me get a major job with low time compared with my civilian counterparts because I had former mil pilots help me out with letters of rec, etc. It also showed my desire to be a pilot. My advice to Nav guy.

1. Don't cut corners (don't try to disguise your nav time as pilot) Do put your nav time on your resume but never include it in the Total flight time column (make sure they know it's nav time)

2. Do apply with companies before their advertised mins.

3. Do keep in contact with your mil pilot buds that went civilian

4. Do try to get a guard job as a nav. Most C-130 units are at least 3-5 navs short. This will do two things for you. First, you will at least double your income that you would make as a commuter pilot only. Second, every guard unit has pilots that fly for Majors (more letters of rec) The Wyoming ANG is hurting for Navs.

5. Don't go somewhere with slow upgrade time. If you have at least 750tt with 100ME I would look into Great Lakes Aviation based out of DEN. You'll upgrade in min time and get that 1000 PIC turbine time you need! I worked there a few years ago and it wasn't that bad!

I hope this helps!!!

:beer:

slyf15e said:
My advice to Nav guy.

1. Don't cut corners (don't try to disguise your nav time as pilot) Do put your nav time on your resume but never include it in the Total flight time column (make sure they know it's nav time)

2. Do apply with companies before their advertised mins.

3. Do keep in contact with your mil pilot buds that went civilian

4. Do try to get a guard job as a nav.

5. Don't go somewhere with slow upgrade time

1. I do that. Put it on there, under 'Nav Time'. There's no sleight of hand on my resume.
2. I do that. Applied for a some 1200 hr pt 135 jobs with 1140ish.
3. I do that.
4. Looking at it.
5. Hmm. I might rather work at a good place and maybe stay there. Horizon! It's a thought tho. Definitely have to live in base. Any recommendations for the DFW area?

No right or wrong answers! No idea about DFW! However, commuting isn't bad if you can jump seat and the time on reserve isn't long. I've been going from DEN to JFK for two years without any problems! good luck!

Hi!

USA Jet Airlines loves mil guys. U need 100 ME FW to meet the insurance mins. Trans States/ASA/Comair have also been mil RW friendly.

If U want more info on USA Jet, pm me.

Cliff
GRB

GoingHot said:
Mountain Air Cargo (MAC) fits the description. I have a friend who was turned down there because he only had 1100 hours of fixed-wing. However, he was an IP with 2300 hours of MH-60 time, much of it in combat, at night, in all kinds of nasty weather, in that senic vacation spot called Afghanistan.

That's sad..2300 hours helo = just as much if not more time, IMHO. That's like the guys that say my goggle time is low...geeze, man, have you flown night system in an Apache??

Yeah, most places my multi engine turbine helo time in an aircraft that requires great CRM means nothing other than TT...forget ME time. Yeah, in the interview, it's a different story, but meeting mins for hiring, forget it!

Latest resources

Back