"Navigator or Helicopter time is meaningless at 'company X'"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rcbullock said:
Geez, thanks for your service to your country too I guess...And oh yeah, I didn't learn anything sitting 3 feet behind the pilot for 1600+ hours.

Yeah, I'm venting. 'Meaningless' was just a tad harsh. Flame and argue away....

Well, no offense but to the insurance company (which I'm assuming requires pt 135 mins), your time -IS- meaningless. I don't think this can be pinned on the freight dog headhunters. To the insurance writers, FAA flight time is FAA flight time.. you can be the nicest guy with 20 vietnamese adopted children and 4,000 hours of Nav, Hot Air Baloon, whatever time and in the end, it'll be the freight outfit that's in deep ********************.

In other words, I think you're placing the blame on the wrong folks.

Helo time is quality time

We have hired a number of low fixed wing time helo guys, about 25% of our pilots are helo background, and never have a training failure moving into the DA-20 right seat. We count all helo time toward total and 50% of ME helo towards MEL mins of 750 hours. Helo pilots have better control touch than light fixed wing fixed MEL pilots we have hired. Airlines and other companies that do not count helo time are stupid and backwards, there is no other way to describe it. These are the same airlines that count C-150 time on VFR cross-country between uncontrolled airports as the flight time that defines time to fill out their applications. Unfortunately for us, stupidity amongst the airlines is declining more and more helo pilots are finding jobs now days. Good on them.

Last edited:
Hobit said:
Jungle Jett, To a point I agree with you regarding the 'hands' aspect. But, your brother was *MILES* ahead of folks when it came to decision making and running a flight deck because of his experience and that counts for a whole lot IMHO. I have both RW (military) and FW (civi) experience and yes I had only been in the flight levels once before I was working 121 but it was simply a slight change in the time/space calculations. In the apache I traveled at 100-150 kts and used loads of CRM so other than the FW ME hand stuff (what, 100 hours to master?) why would RW time be of no use? or less than a 1500 pound 152? Also, My sim partner during initial training was a 130 USAFR Nav coming off MIL Leave and he is probably the most squared away CAPT I have ever been around. He has tremendous leadership skills and really capitalized on his past experiences. I'm not saying you are doing this -> To completely discount other experience as "Meaningless" is ignorant and shows a companies unwillingness to properly scrutinize an applicants qualifications. Employers who discount your bro's Nav time are uninformed. Plain and simple.
Thanks to you and your brother for me. When I was in a turd-hole, USAF (active&reserve&ANG) 130's brought me food and water. Those guys flew into tight/dirty places and I really respect them.

I too agree that his Nav time has made him a better crew member but not a better stick and rudder guy. We all know there is way more to flying than just moving the controls. I would also assert that my simple Loadmaster time has made me a better Captain and my airline time has made me a better Loadmaster. One thing many Flight Attendants will notice is that I am more aware and concerned of their presence in the back. The reason being, is because I am used to being in the back and have had that "FS 245 barrier". I emphasize to them that they see and hear things I cannot and probably know when something is wrong before I tell them.

I would also agree that an RW should be considered in the interview for a FW job. BUT, if you have 1500 hours of RW and 10 hours of FW and you are applying for a FW job, then you are underqualified. The same holds true the other way around. I have some RW time but I cannot get a job flying helo's with my few hours in a helo. Through experience, I can say RW is more challenging than most FW. (I was an Apache mechanic 20 years ago...this month!)

If I were on the other side of the interview table looking at someone's resume and there was time as a "non-pilot" crew member, that would weigh very favorably for me. It would not however, replace 1000's of hours of actual piloting time. if two applicants were equal in actual flying time but one had time in another crew position (especially military) I would choose that person with the "other" time. It gives you a certain amount of "air sense".

Your quite welcome for the grub! We love helping out those with boots on the ground. It is what we do best!

Junglejet, I agree with your 10 FW and 1500 RT need more fixed wing. But I was referring to the stupid airline mangers that want 5000TT and will not accept 1500 RW in IFR, multicrewed turbine aircraft as real flight time, but will look at 1500 in a piper cub flying VFR in AZ as quality for the 5000TT. BTW how do you think airline will look at V-22 time in the future, lands like a helo?

Metro752 said:
name that company or send a PM

Mountain Air Cargo (MAC) fits the description. I have a friend who was turned down there because he only had 1100 hours of fixed-wing. However, he was an IP with 2300 hours of MH-60 time, much of it in combat, at night, in all kinds of nasty weather, in that senic vacation spot called Afghanistan.

pilotyip said:
Junglejet, I agree with your 10 FW and 1500 RT need more fixed wing. But I was referring to the stupid airline mangers that want 5000TT and will not accept 1500 RW in IFR, multicrewed turbine aircraft as real flight time, but will look at 1500 in a piper cub flying VFR in AZ as quality for the 5000TT. BTW how do you think airline will look at V-22 time in the future, lands like a helo?

Agreed.

There may also be an insurance issue as well. A friend of mine was a MiG-21 Pilot (Squadron Commander, Instructor....) with over 1800 hours of fast jet time....BUT..all of it was single engine. He had only about 30 hours of multiengine time. The airline that I work for would not hire him due to insurance reasons. They had thier mins too!

Put MAC on the stupid airline list

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back