"Navigator or Helicopter time is meaningless at 'company X'"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rcbullock

Got that in an email today regarding a job. Geez, thanks for your service to your country too I guess. I know the person didn't mean it that way, but it sure don't sound nice. And oh yeah, I didn't learn anything sitting 3 feet behind the pilot for 1600+ hours.

Yeah, I'm venting. 'Meaningless' was just a tad harsh. Flame and argue away....

There are a few airlines that have that policy ie "RW time does not count". I agree that NAV time should not count for anything in regards to pilot time, but it should at least count under the same way the FAA lets FE's get to count some time towards their ATP. Maybe it actually does (Too lazy to look it up)

To say that a RW pilot has done no sort of worthy aviating is a farce. It has been beaten like a dead horse before, and we all accept it, and stay away from those companies that are not "Helo Friendly".

So in the end NAV guy. You get absolutely NO sympathy from us RW guys. It is a discrace to even lump us into the same category as NAVs.

Last edited:
Pistlpetet said:
So in the end NAV guy. You get absolutely NO sympathy from us RW guys. It is a discrace to even lump us into the same category as NAVs.

*I* wasn't lumping you in, the company was. I agree that RW = flight time. How much should count towards what, let's not start that. I'd want of course a certain amount of FW for a FW job if I was hiring. How much, depends. But flight time is flight time.

No sympathy was asked for, just a vent as previously posted.

I agree, Nav time should count for something like the FE's get. I'd be happy with 10-20%. :) Since what I've got it worth nothing as far as jobs are concerned. It's a tie breaker at best.

I don't expect much of a break, if any, for my nav time. It hasn't helped me much if at all job-wise.

And I resent as a FW pilot being lumped in with you RW time pilots even yours is multi turbine RW. All my 1150 is FW. :) Now THERE's a flame. Just pickin'.

Metro752 said:
name that company or send a PM
I'd prefer not to, but it was a large part 135 freight carrier. I'm at 1150 and being considered still for jobs needing the magic 1200 hours, but not this one. Sticklers. Plus, the job opening I was looking for was in a VERY small town in the middle of nowhere, which I would think would be hard to fill. I live close, so it's doable.

Google detectives, start your browsers to figure out who it was!

rcbullock said:
*I* wasn't lumping you in, the company was. I agree that RW = flight time. How much should count towards what, let's not start that. I'd want of course a certain amount of FW for a FW job if I was hiring. How much, depends. But flight time is flight time.

No sympathy was asked for, just a vent as previously posted.

I agree, Nav time should count for something like the FE's get. I'd be happy with 10-20%. :) Since what I've got it worth nothing as far as jobs are concerned. It's a tie breaker at best.

I don't expect much of a break, if any, for my nav time. It hasn't helped me much if at all job-wise.

And I resent as a FW pilot being lumped in with you RW time pilots even yours is multi turbine RW. All my 1150 is FW. :) Now THERE's a flame. Just pickin'.

Dude, I will let that go way over my head, as I know you are baiting me. I was a FW pilot before I was a RW pilot, and I can tell you it was a lot harder to master then flying a 152 around a traffic pattern. Let'st just all agree that some establishments are f'd up. I done my best to overcome that whole establishment mindset. I reccomend you just bank all your past experience as character building until your next big show. A little hard work and a few good breaks can change all that. Good luck man.

Last edited:
Pistlpetet said:
Dude, I will let that go way over my head, as I know you are baiting me.

I was kidding, hence the smiley faces and 'just pickin'. I hear it's like plate balancing.

How much of my 3000 hours as a Loadmaster should I be able to count? I agree it helps in the end but in NO WAY would I even begin to pass that as "flight time." My brother is a C130 Nav with about 5000 hours in the airplane. He is also a Citation X Captain. The nav stuff helped but did not help him use his hands.

As for the whole "hey thanks for serving your country" thing. Please dont ever throw that in someones face and make the rest of us look bad.

Jungle Jett, To a point I agree with you regarding the 'hands' aspect. But, your brother was *MILES* ahead of folks when it came to decision making and running a flight deck because of his experience and that counts for a whole lot IMHO. I have both RW (military) and FW (civi) experience and yes I had only been in the flight levels once before I was working 121 but it was simply a slight change in the time/space calculations. In the apache I traveled at 100-150 kts and used loads of CRM so other than the FW ME hand stuff (what, 100 hours to master?) why would RW time be of no use? or less than a 1500 pound 152? Also, My sim partner during initial training was a 130 USAFR Nav coming off MIL Leave and he is probably the most squared away CAPT I have ever been around. He has tremendous leadership skills and really capitalized on his past experiences. I'm not saying you are doing this -> To completely discount other experience as "Meaningless" is ignorant and shows a companies unwillingness to properly scrutinize an applicants qualifications. Employers who discount your bro's Nav time are uninformed. Plain and simple.
Thanks to you and your brother for me. When I was in a turd-hole, USAF (active&reserve&ANG) 130's brought me food and water. Those guys flew into tight/dirty places and I really respect them.

JungleJett said:
As for the whole "hey thanks for serving your country" thing. Please dont ever throw that in someones face and make the rest of us look bad.

Does anyone read posts completely? I said I was just venting; I didn't throw it in anyone's face.

Latest resources

Back