Naval Academy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
slacker said:
IThere is no doubt that you get a great education at any service academy and if you're selected for an appointment, that alone is worthy accomplishment. At the academy you will be sacrificing you present for your future. At a state school, you will be sacrificing your future for your present.
Good luck with your decision.

Slacker sums it up quite well. Hawkins, my man....check it out. If you're a deuschebag or a nimwit going in to one of the academies, you'll more than likely be one coming out. If you are a good dude with some common sense and a level head, you'll do fine. People tend to gravitate to their own crowd....nerds, jocks, in-betweens. You'll find your home.

To all you haters out there, yeah there are rapists, forgers, and whatever else enrolled in each of the academies. I personally knew some of them, however I chose(unique concept) to avoid participating in activities that would land me in Levenworth. Nothing hard there.

Partying/whoring.....I did my share. If you can't hold yourself at a party or talk to a chick, the academies won't help you there. Alot depends on your crowd, too. I did quite enough damage at many mid-atlantic colleges. My choice was not to major in partying, but to get a respectable engineering education(see slacker's quote).

There was no gaurentee of a flight billet for me.... I passed the physical, and easily made the grades(I'm not that bright either....ask Hugh). BTW, in '95, flight slots went all the way to about 900 out of 936ish. If you can't fall within those numbers, you have bigger worries than flying. I don't know what the numbers are these days, nor at the AFA.

There are alot of simpletons out there that argue that they drank more beer, layed more pipe, etc. Bottom line, I made the most out of it, and got what I wanted out of it. Deep down, some folks may be jealous of that.

Oh BTW....total college loans....$0.00. Nice bennie.

RM

RogerMOSA said:
Slacker sums it up quite well. Hawkins, my man....check it out. If you're a deuschebag or a nimwit going in to one of the academies, you'll more than likely be one coming out. If you are a good dude with some common sense and a level head, you'll do fine. People tend to gravitate to their own crowd....nerds, jocks, in-betweens. You'll find your home.

To all you haters out there, yeah there are rapists, forgers, and whatever else enrolled in each of the academies. I personally knew some of them, however I chose(unique concept) to avoid participating in activities that would land me in Levenworth. Nothing hard there.

Partying/whoring.....I did my share. If you can't hold yourself at a party or talk to a chick, the academies won't help you there. Alot depends on your crowd, too. I did quite enough damage at many mid-atlantic colleges. My choice was not to major in partying, but to get a respectable engineering education(see slacker's quote).

There was no gaurentee of a flight billet for me.... I passed the physical, and easily made the grades(I'm not that bright either....ask Hugh). BTW, in '95, flight slots went all the way to about 900 out of 936ish. If you can't fall within those numbers, you have bigger worries than flying. I don't know what the numbers are these days, nor at the AFA.

There are alot of simpletons out there that argue that they drank more beer, layed more pipe, etc. Bottom line, I made the most out of it, and got what I wanted out of it. Deep down, some folks may be jealous of that.

Oh BTW....total college loans....$0.00. Nice bennie.

RM

Yeah, what he said.

I will never forget my four years on the SEVERN River (USNA). I will always walk lil faster then most ... be 10 minutes early ... the shipmates, memories and experience of the Naval Academy will be with me for the rest of my life ... It is one of the toughest things I have ever done ... I am grateful for all that has come from the USNA "un-college" life. Time, Tide, and formation wait for no man ... Go Navy ... Beat Army SIR!

Last edited:
i got a friend that has one of those diplomas--it is an awesome looking thing. biggest diploma i have ever seen. he is a great guy. a definite type A, but really nice. Naval Aviator, but stopped flying when he left. then made lots of dinero on his own. :)

VaB, I'll put my cheating degree up against your AA from Sh1tehole, PA State College any day.

Griffin, I thought maybe you'd graduated high school and shipped off to parts unknown. Just when the collective IQ of this message board starts creeping upward, you run your pie-hole and bring us all down. Go back to the acne message board at your JUCO. BMD

DaveGriffin said:
The biggest scandal at the Boat School these days is the lowering of academic standards for football recruits. I guess that’s not all bad, since they can fly the P-3 replacement if they graduate.
Or better yet, they could pretend to be a SEAL and wallow away their days on internet message boards frequented by those who actually earned warfare designators. Yes, they could hurl harmless insults in the direction of those to whom they admire the most, those who achieved what they could not....

Griffin was probably a BUDS washout, followed by flight training, then eventually getting tossed from surface warfare and found his niche as the guy who is a sorry excuse for a base PAO in east bumblyphuque.:rolleyes:

VaB said:
Toosh or touche or whatever.

And it's not an AA, it's an Assoc in Specialized Business from Cental Penn Business School. Oh well, at least there were lots of chicks.

It's touché, but that's not the easiest to type without a word processor.

Might as well hijack this thread to do something useful, huh??

I resort to a rather primitive method, myself, to produce the nonstandard characters like ½ and ÿ. It involves the use of an ESCAPE character... nahhh, rather than try to explain the background, I'll just explain the steps...

WHILE HOLDING THE ALT KEY:

PRESS, in succession, a four digit number associated with the particular character using the numeric keypad. (The numbers along the top of the QWERTY keypad aren't the same, for this purpose.)

RELEASE the ALT KEY

For the é, the numbers are 0 2 3 3

so, HOLD ALT, type 0233, release ALT

voilà, you have an é! :)

Oh, for the à in the voilà, the number is 0244 :)

For all you Españolas out there, there's the ñ at 0241,

and of course you'll need the ¿ at 0191 and the ... well, hmmm, I can't seem to find the upside down exclamation point... ¿hmmmm? ;)

Anyway, here's a few other interesting characters:

0128 €

0133 …

0151 —

0162 ¢

0163 £

0165 ¥

0169 ©

0174 ®

0176 ° (the degree symbol)

0177 ±

0188 ¼

0189 ½

0190 ¾

Anybody know an easier way to use those characters in this primitive text editor?

Anybody know of any other interesting characters?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back