Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Of all the problems in the world, there is no shortage of people whining and crying about meaningless issues. Apparently, it is not politically correct to name something after a Native American tribe. A few years ago, Jeep took some heat because their SUV, the Jeep Cherokee, had been named that way for over a decade. Now, mascots for sports teams are even being revised. Even the US government is getting criticism because we have helicopters named "BlackHawk" and "Apache".

So, how long until these airplanes will require new names???

Cherokee
Seneca
Comanche
Seminole
Aztec....oh yeah that was a south American tribe...:rolleyes:

Whats funny is the Utes have been Utahs mascot forever. The president of Indian Affairs of Utah can on TV and said that they like it. It brought him to tears thinking of them changing it.

UnAnswerd said:
Of all the problems in the world, there is no shortage of people whining and crying about meaningless issues. Apparently, it is not politically correct to name something after a Native American tribe. A few years ago, Jeep took some heat because their SUV, the Jeep Cherokee, had been named that way for over a decade. Now, mascots for sports teams are even being revised. Even the US government is getting criticism because we have helicopters named "BlackHawk" and "Apache".

So, how long until these airplanes will require new names???

Cherokee
Seneca
Comanche
Seminole
Aztec....oh yeah that was a south American tribe...:rolleyes:

Awhile back a small High School tried to name itself the "Fighting Whities" but the idiot PS crowd shot it down.

I dont understand why the Native American groups get so bent out of shape about people using their "sacred" names for sports teams, cars, airplanes, and the like. To me it sounds more like a tribute then anything else but what the heck do I know.

I have a native american staying with me for a week right now. He is a viet nam vet btw. He thinks it is all pretty damned ridiculous. So the point is, not ALL native americans think like this and cannot be lumped together. Any questions you want to ask him?

The Seminoles have a long and friendly relationship with the Florida college. They too are outraged by this.

What is hillarious though, since college football has no "tournament" they are not threatened by the NCAA like basketball and baseball. WTF????

PC will kill America. I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't gone after Piper for their outrageous use of tribal names!

What about Indian Motorcycles?
Redman chewing tobacco?

I'm a student at Florida State... I don't think private companies will have to change the names of their products, but as far as I know we may have to change our SEMINOLE mascot which is ridicules.

PhatAJ2008 said:
I'm a student at Florida State... which is ridicules.

Ya know what else is ridiculous? The spelling program at Florida State. :D

Latest resources

Back