• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SiuDude

Internet tough guy
Well, kind of.
No one is able to get clearances according to CNN. The Atlanta NADIN is down, leaving Salt Lake to pick up the slack. No one is taking off on the east coast.

Wewh......got off outbound ground at ORD just before the system went down. Thank god I am not working tonight. This happened about 4 months ago one day at ORD, I'm sure some of you my remember getting parked all over the place, the Scenic Pad, and the 10 pad were full as we all scrambled to re input the flightplans manually. Needless to say we did what we could but was told on the way out of the tower today by our TMC that the FAA was discouraging this practice this time due to the dispatchers and controllers both inputing a flight plan for the same plane thus two flightplans = two beacon codes and conflicting routes which will only bog the computers down even more. I guess the best way to resolve this problem is to just let the computers reset and hopefully we will get caught up for tommorrow. I have the early shift and we all know it will take a day or two for everyone to get caught up. If your flying tonight be patient with us controllers, it isn't our fault.

Holy S!

I swear to god, everyone in upper FAA management needs to be held criminally liable when stuff like this goes down. They're AT LEAST 20 years behind their much touted ATC upgrades; talk about massive incompetence and non-accountability. This includes both high-level appointees and the congressmen who ignore this growing problem.

How many millions of dollars are wasted, and how many passengers travel plans are ruined when this crap happens all-too-often?

Let's see,

1. Government isn't helping with lowering fuel prices.

2. The FAA is no help along with Congress in upgrading our national airspace system.

3. They have the TSA going around citing airlines, making them responsible to do their job and breaking airplanes.

4. They cause the airline system to shut down because they failed to plan.

You would think this would be enough to get Congress to get these guys to act.

Just reading the up to the minute news about this on CNN.Com. A quote from the article
Mark Biello, a CNN photographer sitting on a delayed flight at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta Tuesday afternoon, said flights there were being cleared for takeoff one at a time.

One at a time....Isn't that the point, to clear one for take off at a time...I know what the point was but this just sounded stupid.

It sounds stupid because it is CNN.
SP

Just reading the up to the minute news about this on CNN.Com. A quote from the article
Mark Biello, a CNN photographer sitting on a delayed flight at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta Tuesday afternoon, said flights there were being cleared for takeoff one at a time.

One at a time....Isn't that the point, to clear one for take off at a time...I know what the point was but this just sounded stupid.

this happened in ATL this past thursday. No one at Air Tran, Delta, or ASA could get clearance. Somehow, the other companies could.

Latest resources

Back