• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National ALPA Skywest=SCABS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The SkyWest pilots are not scabs, they are opportunists and some are defensive about continuing to take ASA's aircraft, but they are not scabs.

The ASA pilots were in a tough spot and made their decision to back ALPA based on a genuine desire to hold the line on concessionary bargaining - to stop the erosion of our profession. They have made this decision before when pitted against Comair pilots. Now that decision is tremendously difficult as ASA downgrades and seven year Captains like myself find ourselves on reserve. (For 5 of my 7 years at ASA)

SkyWest pilots should not pat themselves on the back and thank Adam Smith's unseen hand in their fortuity. This is not divine providence, it is ugly old union busting and once the ASA pilots are beaten and ALPA is discredited, the SkyWest pilots will be next in the barrel without scope, or any other protections.

The only reason why a SkyWest pilot would want to join ALPA is to try to stop the erosion of this profession. New hire SkyWest First Officers have nearly 1,200 pilots ahead of them before they upgrade. That is 218 jets - more than ASA has even if the entire 50 jets in Delta's alleged RFP show up and no E120's or -200's go out of service. This means that mathmatically it is likely that upgrade times will get very long at SkyWest and eventually they will see stabilization around industry norms. Probably then, they will want ALPA.

Right now they see a "fire sale" on RJ flying and they are grabbing all they can. Maybe ASA should have done the same thing, but for ASA pilots, they saw it as a matter of integrity.

Probably nothing will make it easy for the ASA pilots to accept their fate. Perhaps they should undercut the SkyWest pilots (and they probably will Mesaba style once things get desperate enough)

SkyWest pilots should vote ALPA to try to improve and enhance the profession. Not voting ALPA does not make SkyWest pilots scabs, but it does put the ASA pilots under more pressure to under bid the SkyWest guys, which is just what Jerry Atkin wants.

In the mean time, SkyWest guys should consider being patient with their ASA counterparts. ASA is dying because they took a stand.

Vote no on union rep. and keep taking airplanes from a unionized airline, I hope national ALPA puts out a new LIST...Just a warning !!!

Hope you skywest pilots looked at St. George last week when CAL,FEDEX,DAL,ASA,Comair,United pilots showed up to picket

But you can fly at jetblue or airtran or AA.....

Yeah..sure..I'm alot closer to voting for ALPA now.

In the mean time, SkyWest guys should consider being patient with their ASA counterparts. ASA is dying because they took a stand.

Like a Hollywood B movie. The ASA pilots are getting tortured for standing up. The favored Skywest pilots need to decide if they really consider the ASA their fellow pilots or just a group of unlucky SOBs that happen to fly CRJ's too.

Are the SW pilots going to forgo the little luxuries given to them for not helping the ASA pilots?

Who decides who is lucky?

I'd rather be tortured than take managements little luxuries...

TOMCT,

You still did not answer the question I asked? Again, I hope your right, I just want to know why your so sure? I have not seen any facts to back up what you say.

Medeco

Med, talked with a CP who said that by April, we would be flying that much out of SLC. Most likely coming from ATL and LAX! We still have ship 703 and I don't think it will go anywhere. Either way, we are going to grow out of LAX and we are the only ones that can do that flying. Talked with our hotel person who is getting the hotels and he says that he is checking into getting rooms all up and down the west coast. Only time will tell! Relax and be patient!

Colgan is going to take all of your little rjs and rip the engines off them and put props on them! That will stop your bickery.

Vote no on union rep. and keep taking airplanes from a unionized airline, I hope national ALPA puts out a new LIST...Just a warning !!!

Hope you skywest pilots looked at St. George last week when CAL,FEDEX,DAL,ASA,Comair,United pilots showed up to picket

But you can fly at jetblue or airtran or AA.....

dude you need throwing the word scab. hell, these days unions aren't strong enough to ever strike so there are never really any scabs out there because when is the last time a PILOT GROUP was actually on strike? i can't remember...burr duhhh.....

BTW if skywest becomes ALPA, alpa will probably shrink their profits and growth so fast there heads will spin.....

Don't do it skywest!!! ALPA sucks at the regional level!!!!!!!!

sweptback,

I hate to answer your question with a question, but nonetheless:

why do you think SkyWest management wants to keep a union off property?

sweptback,

I hate to answer your question with a question, but nonetheless:

why do you think SkyWest management wants to keep a union off property?

My uneducated guess would either be a scope protection (i.e. gojets), or to prevent a sympathy strike from happening if ASA ever gets released.

Latest resources

Back