• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National ALPA Skywest=SCABS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of you guys really are idiots with throwing the word scab around. Lets be honest, a scab is someone who flies struck work. Ths skywest guys have not done that.

The more you guys demonize people and call them scabs the less effect the word has when we are talking about REAL SCABS.

So take your head out of your collective A$$es and stop trying to hold a loaded gun to peoples head so that they join ALPA. It gives the rest of us ALPA members a bad name.

why would skywest pilots want to unionize anyway? so they can cough up pieces of their already meager wages to a union doing nothing for them. if unions are so good why is ASA in such a bad spot? Oh,wait! ASA was bought by skywest, because delta needed to sell them off to make a buck, since mainline was going bankrupt. Now being that you are a owned subsidiary of skywest, that means they can do what they want with you, your planes, and whatever else. Unionizing would be more trouble than its worth, why mess up a good thing, they are actually turning a profit. Moreover, there captains are making almost 89k, that isn't bad for an RJ.

Unions, NO Thanks.

I have a question. I'm on the fence here for a union vote. I have friends at all the rest of the ALPA regionals, and my pay and quality of life is much better than theirs. (argue all you want...) I'm all for voting in a union if I think it will benefit me, but right now I don't see how it will. I've gotten all the ALPA mailings, so don't try to feed me the propaganda garb...I want an answer(s) from where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Also, I'm all for raising the standards of the industry, but I think that has to start with the public and what they pay for tickets for a product. Not a union of workers.

When I look at how well ALPA is doing with everybody else, I must say...not impressed. So right now it seems I would be giving 2% or whatever of my paycheck to join a non-relevent group of whiners. Whose only arguments seem to be "SkyWest is lowering the bar... Try getting hired anywhere else... etc." I'm not gonna join an organization that has produced nothing for the pilots represented by them. Everytime I hear of somebody voting for a strike ALPA's name is there. Same for wage cuts, stalled negotiations, blah blah blah. But company's getting increased flying, taking airplanes, up-ing the pilots compensation (Southwest, UPS, Frontier, SkyWest, etc..) there is no ALPA buzzing around. So where is the "UP" side to ALPA?

From a pilot who is "on the fence".

It is a valid point to note. Why should pilots from a nonunionized carrier have the benifit of acquiring jobs at a unionized carrier like FedEx or Continental? By all means if you want to work for Skywest for your entire career and knock on unions than please feel free to do so. However, if you want to move on then explain to me why you should be permitted to acquire jobs at another unionized carrier? If I was interviewing you, I'd want a pretty thoughtful answer to that question.

this is one of the most nonsense ridden post I've read in this Moronathon. who the he!! says that you MUST have come from a union carrier to work at FedEx, CAL, or anywhere else? (BTW, I have friends who are at both that were at SkyWest) "Permitted to acquire jobs at a unionized carrier?" where is the world does that come from? who ever said that being part of a union is some right of passage in this industry? do ex-military guys meet your fanciful requirement?

people will get jobs based on their work history, personality, and who they know. welcome to the real world.

seriously, this is an idea I've never heard of before, that for some reason you 'must' have worked at a unionized carrier to work at another? did you just make that up? I know of not one single carrier that has anything policy-written, implied, or otherwise, that even approaches that.

I'd love to hear 'a pretty thoughtful answer to that,' but if history is any predictor, we'll get some spew like the first post in this thread.

Agreed. Last I checked, when you interview at a company, you do so with management, not with the union that controls the pilot group.

If you were interviewing, you'd know you can't ask that question--though though I suppose you could allude to it.

I'll probably join the plumber's union

The trash some of you guys spew about SkyWest and using the word scab is really a turn off to anyone with half a brain and knows more than five years of airline history. There are a lot of guys and gals trying to decide where they want to take their job and careers. You really look like something to associate with. If I'm going to have to deal with anyone like you then I'd have to say ALPA is going to be a huge f*cking step back for SkyWest.

I'll see if I can join the plumbers union instead. Plumbers are at least smart enough not to throw sh*t at someone's house on purpose if they want their business!

P.S I sent in the card. F*ck You!

I have a question. I'm on the fence here for a union vote. I have friends at all the rest of the ALPA regionals, and my pay and quality of life is much better than theirs. (argue all you want...) I'm all for voting in a union if I think it will benefit me, but right now I don't see how it will. I've gotten all the ALPA mailings, so don't try to feed me the propaganda garb...I want an answer(s) from where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Also, I'm all for raising the standards of the industry, but I think that has to start with the public and what they pay for tickets for a product. Not a union of workers.

When I look at how well ALPA is doing with everybody else, I must say...not impressed. So right now it seems I would be giving 2% or whatever of my paycheck to join a non-relevent group of whiners. Whose only arguments seem to be "SkyWest is lowering the bar... Try getting hired anywhere else... etc." I'm not gonna join an organization that has produced nothing for the pilots represented by them. Everytime I hear of somebody voting for a strike ALPA's name is there. Same for wage cuts, stalled negotiations, blah blah blah. But company's getting increased flying, taking airplanes, up-ing the pilots compensation (Southwest, UPS, Frontier, SkyWest, etc..) there is no ALPA buzzing around. So where is the "UP" side to ALPA?

From a pilot who is "on the fence".

It is a simple question that will lead you to the answer that you seek....How long do you think that you will be flying for Skywest: If you are looking at 1 to 3 years there probably is no upside for you.....If however you think that you may be there a bit longer than consider this....The people running Skywest today will not be there forever. You enjoy a tenuous relationship with them at best. But when the next group of business major wonder boys take over and they do not possess the founders spirit as your current group do, things will have a way of changing and not for the better. A contract with a union and a company remains in force regardless of who the ceo or chief pilot are etc....If ALPA comes to town for you at Skywest your life will not probably change much at all. More than likely many of the policies and procedures that you now enjoy will become part of your first contract. More than likely you will remain a single pay scale airline ie all jets pay the same all turbo props pay the same and so on however it would be my bet that the rate would go up so as to retain the efficiency in training associated with that type of pay scale......The huge difference for you is that those policies and procedures now contained in your contract protect you from management changes, from petty ass kissing flight managers/chief pilots etc....it brings consistency and stability and predictability to your life as a pilot.....And with as much good will as your pilot group and your management currently enjoy I would bet that you would have a much more "Southwest" style union/company relationship....You see ALPA at the local level is made up of you guys and you guys alone and the direction you take is really up to you....What you enjoy from a national organization is the resources and expertise in dealing with many many issues such as safety/medical/faa representation/contract language and so on....Every other non alpa union in the country regularly takes advantage of ALPA expertise in these areas.

And to speak to the carriers such as Delta/ Northwest/United/ Us Air who have fallen on hard times...They were unprepared for the war and therefore lost all the battles... plain and simple and that may or not be an ALPA problem but they each had there chance and they each broke and ran in the face of un-surmountable odds and they each lost....So don't make your decisions about ALPA because of those groups...Read Flying the Line part one(part two is a waste of time) and consider all the good things that having a union will bring to you. Good luck my friend either way it goes for your group you will all need some of it.... from an ALPA brother who is on the way out

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back