Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NAFI MASTER INSTRUCTOR vrs. FAA GOLD SEAL CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A joke...

What does one Gold Seal C.F.I. say to another Gold Seal C.F.I.?
"So you wasted your day off at the FSDO too?"

J/K, a little joke that the DE that did my students checkrides used to always tell me. More power to you if you qualify for either, means you are actually instructing and not just showing up for work to get the hours.

G2T said:
"So you wasted your day off at the FSDO too?"

I wouldn't say wasted. You never know when the Inspector issuing the Gold Seal is going to be the Inspector ramp checking your airplane after an accident, incident, or occurance.

The Gold Seal renewed my CFI certificate. That was a few hundred dollars not spent on a FIRC or other mind-numbing waste of time. I got to spend the hours posting on Flightinfo instead.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

AAflyer said:
Well the way you put it, don't do it!! In fact AOPA is overpriced as well, heck any aviation organization, why would you pay the small amount of money. I have seen pilots blow that amount on a night at the bar, or buy that pair of sunglasses that cost almost half my mortgage.

AA
I'd agree AAflyer, I belong to AOPA, NAFI, Cessna Pilot Association, and American Bonanza Society(even though I had never been in a Beech aircraft at the time). The total costs of all these memberships was less than a single flight in a twin.

The number of connections and amount of information I have received has been well worth 10x the price of admission. Concidering the other costs of aviation $50 for a list of contacts is a great deal.

AAflyer said:
Well the way you put it, don't do it!! In fact AOPA is overpriced as well, heck any aviation organization, why would you pay the small amount of money. I have seen pilots blow that amount on a night at the bar, or buy that pair of sunglasses that cost almost half my mortgage.

AA

I have great respect for most all aviation organizations and especially including NAFI. This is the only organization for flight instructors. I was a member of this at one time but some how forgot to renew. I will probably renew again sometime. For $50 per year it is worth it just to be a part of this group of flight instructors. CFI's are always my favorite people in aviation. They give so much.

Regarding the Master CFI, I do think the fee of $100 biennially is just way too much for way too little (a pin). The flight instructor does all this work for the community and instead of being paid by NAFI for promoting the ideals of the profession, or instead of even recognizing the CFI as an "Ambassador" of the Association, they make the poor CFI pay to have his/her efforts reviewed and then send him/her the biennial renewal pin as a MASTER CFI.

It is tough enough having to be paid so little for most CFI work, but now this award is a matter of paying to work. And for what real purpose? From what has been written, the whole Master CFI program is a big money making program for NAFI. If the fee became $5 for members then it's a great program.

Last edited:
I'm a 3 term Master CFI, 7th one from the state of Ohio, and up for my 4th term next month. I'm also a Gold Seal CFI. It is definitely a much more involved process to get than the Gold Seal, and it needs to be renewed every 2 years. Fortunately the FAA will now recognize Master CFI certification for FIRC purposes. Things like teaching groundschools, giving checkrides or stage checks, signing students off for certificates, aviation-related community service (that's the tough one for me to find credit for), writing articles, writing ground school syllabi or written tests, earning new certificates.... all of that and more counts for credit. I will admit that the fees involved are a bit excessive, but if you are looking to be teaching professionally at a big aviation academy or a university that offers a fligth program it would be a huge resume booster. Could also help at the 121/135 level if you are looking to become a check airman.

LOL I lost my Gold Seal. I had it on my instructor certificate. When I went to the FSDO to renew two years later, the inspector forgot to include it on the temporary and I didn't notice until a week later.

Sure enough, when the permanent came, I was no longer a Gold Seal. Guess I know how the FAA feels about me now. I keep thinking I should go down to the FSDO and take care of it, but don't want to spend a few hours to put two words on my CFI. I'm guessing it's still in their database though, so I'm just waiting until next renewal to be re-Gold-Sealed.

taloft said:
LOL I lost my Gold Seal. I had it on my instructor certificate. When I went to the FSDO to renew two years later, the inspector forgot to include it on the temporary and I didn't notice until a week later.

Sure enough, when the permanent came, I was no longer a Gold Seal. Guess I know how the FAA feels about me now. I keep thinking I should go down to the FSDO and take care of it, but don't want to spend a few hours to put two words on my CFI. I'm guessing it's still in their database though, so I'm just waiting until next renewal to be re-Gold-Sealed.

This can easily happen if the ACR/Examiner/Inspector just forgets to put "GOLD SEAL" on the new instructor certificate and/or on the Airman Application (8710 form). AND even if it is all done correctly the GOLD SEAL can still be overlooked by the clerks in OKC.

In any event, this should be corrected ASAP by going to the FSDO or maybe it can be taken care of by a call or two to the FSDO.

Whatever though, don't just let this go. Gold Seal instructor certificates are too hard to re-earn unless you are a full time CFI working in the trenches, and even then you have to be good to qualify: 10 students (with 8-passing their test on the first attempt) in a 2-year period is hard to do unless you're really involved as a CFI.

Last edited:
Pilot_Ryan said:
I'm not very familiar with NAFI's "Master CFI" program but I have heard some talk about it. There seems to be a bit of negativity surrounding NAFI and what they offer as an organization to flight instructors. I never felt compelled to join and none of the instructors who rose through the ranks with me ever did, either. So, I'm not the best to compare the two, but when people (customers) hear NAFI they say, "Huh?" When they hear "FAA Gold Seal Certification" it's a no-brainer.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't waste too much time with NAFI.

-Ryan (Gold Seal CFI... and it's still current!)

NAFI is a joke of an organization. When I was teaching, I was naive enough to join this org. and I can tell you they are not doing a damn thing about what really counts: crap wages, poor working conditions, and job insecurity. I mean, come on, at least try to discuss the matter, right?

I received a PM from a person who said that NAFI has copyrighted the term Master Flight Instructor. Maybe Avbug can comment here but I thought that during WWII certain fully qualified flight instructors were also called Master Instructors. In any event how can a general generic word like MASTER be copyrighted. NAFI didn't invent that word. If I say that Avbug is a “master instructor” because of his many years in that business will that get me in trouble for infringing on NAFI's copyright?

If this is true maybe we need to claim “Grand Master Flight Instructor” for board members like Avbug who have made almost 5,000 posts on this board. Or maybe E-CFI would be good.

Plus, instead of charging $100 for the title of Grand Master CFI or E-CFI we can do it here for free.

Your comments please....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back