Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NAFI MASTER INSTRUCTOR vrs. FAA GOLD SEAL CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
I'm curious what some of you may think about the Master CFI program that was started by NAFI a few years ago vrs. the FAA's Gold Seal CFI program. Which do you all think is a better credential?

UndauntedFlyer said:
I'm curious what some of you may think about the Master CFI program that was started by NAFI a few years ago vrs. the FAA's Gold Seal CFI program. Which do you all think is a better credential?

I'm not very familiar with NAFI's "Master CFI" program but I have heard some talk about it. There seems to be a bit of negativity surrounding NAFI and what they offer as an organization to flight instructors. I never felt compelled to join and none of the instructors who rose through the ranks with me ever did, either. So, I'm not the best to compare the two, but when people (customers) hear NAFI they say, "Huh?" When they hear "FAA Gold Seal Certification" it's a no-brainer.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't waste too much time with NAFI.

-Ryan (Gold Seal CFI... and it's still current!)

Freight Dawg said:
Whats the difference between the two?

One is an official FAA designation, and the other is an unofficial title which can be earned by dues-paying members of the organization known as NAFI. As to which one carries more weight, I have no idea... it's all a feelgood exercise anyhoo. I suppose this would be important primarily to career instructors or pilots looking to maximize their resume for an instruction-oriented flying gig.

Gold seal is easy:

Pass at least 10 students in a 2 year period with 80% first time pass rate and get an advanced ground or instrument instructor rating and you are qualified to get your gold seal. It will stay on your instructor rating the rest of your life. If you teach full time or work in a busy flight school you should be able to get that rating easily.

Master CFI has a long list of requirements and you need to renew the rating every 2 years. It requires you be a good member of the CFI society, and contribute more than students to the field. There are around 500 total, and is not so easy to get.

I just got my gold seal wondering if I qualify or is it worth trying for the master designation.

RefugePilot: Thanks for your post. It is informative.

But I would like to say that most of the Examiners in our area have anywhere from a 50% to a 70% pass rate for all of the basic tests, PA, IRA, CA, and M/E add-ons. That means that any CFI with an 80% pass rate for 10 students is doing a pretty good job and has earned his/her stripes, or in this case a Gold Seal on their CFI certificate. The Gold Seal then says something about the instructor's ability as a FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR and about his/her all around abilities to do the job for which they are certified. So I don't think it is correct to say that it is easy to obtain a Gold Seal. Now at a big flight school where they may have Examining Authority, the final standards are ususlly a border line joke, then that may be different. There it would be easier to get the Gold Seal. But all the same it's still not easy in my opinion. I can only say that I'm always impressed with a CFI that has earned his/her Gold Seal. To me it really says something about the instructor’s ability to teach, and that's where the rubber meets the road. Congratulations on your Gold Seal RufugePilot!

Now regarding the NAFI "Master Instructor" I guess I have an idea of how that works from what you have said, but does anyone know how much actual instructing experience or how many students must have been trained to qualify for the NAFI Master CFI? Is there a fee charged for this certification? And these CFI society requirements; are these things like taking grade school kids to the airport or what? Could someone explain all of this part a little better?

Last edited:
Pilot_Ryan said:
One is an official FAA designation, and the other is an unofficial title which can be earned by dues-paying members of the organization known as NAFI. As to which one carries more weight, I have no idea... it's all a feelgood exercise anyhoo. I suppose this would be important primarily to career instructors or pilots looking to maximize their resume for an instruction-oriented flying gig.

An unofficial title for paying dues? Wow, where do you get your information. If you are not a member of NAFI, and no else you associate with is how would you know the requirements?

It is a rather rigorous process, it involves a commitment to the aviation community in the field of teaching (instructing). I am currently working on mine. There are a series of subjects with a certain number of credits (or points) that need to be completed from each. Writing articles, to hosting FAA wings meetings, serving on the BOD of aviation organizations, authoring books or study guides, the list is extensive.

The cost of NAFI is minimal, it includes a free subscription to Flying and some deep discounts (up to 45%) at places like ASA, and Jeppesen. The people I have met through the organization are professional instructors, and or people that care very much about GA. You will most likely not find the young "time builder" involved a group like this.

Regards,

AAflyer

70% pass rate, then I must be really good, cause I got 100% pass rate. I have even had some of my students take their private checkride with less than 100 hours of total time. j/k.

Off of the top of my head. Master CFI requirements.

You need to be a member of NAFI, worth the $50 a year or so. You have to pay extra to apply for the Master designation I think it is at least $100. You have points you need to accrue in each category.

Students passed
Volunteer time(CAP, young eagle, etc)
Publication (you have to have published or at least written something)
Education (you have attended)

I may be missing a category or two. You then have to submit an application to a board for review.

It is a much higher standard than the gold seal, and is more for proffesional flight instructors. You want to be in it for the long haul and not just building hours for your next job. It is really not worth it unless you are in a community or at a school with people willing to pay a premium for higher standards.

I like flight instructing but am ready for a change of pace. When I get a 'real' flying job I would still like to instruct on the side and would like the recognition of excellence, but it really is an excercise in mental masterbation. Neither rating makes me a better instructor, just gives me bragging rights.

Thanks RefugePilot. I think you are still diminishing your achievement regarding the FAA's Gold Seal. It was hard to get, especially with a 100% pass rate. My hat is off to you on this accomplishment.

Looks like the Master CFI is worth while too, but it cost big bucks. For what? Reviewing some paperwork every year for $100.00? Lets see $100 x 500 Master CFI's = $50,000 per year for NAFI. That's a lot of money. That's probably equal to the annual salary of their Executive Director. Hummmm.....

And membership for the Master CFI's too, at $50 per year. That's another $25,000 per year for NAFI. ($25,000 + $50,000 = $75,000 per year)

And for this $150 per year I get to fill out all kinds of paperwork for rubber stamping, get a pin and a subscripton to Flying Magazine.

What do you think? Should I go for it?

Last edited:
UndauntedFlyer said:
Thanks RefugePilot. I think you are still diminishing your achievement regarding the FAA's Gold Seal. It was hard to get, especially with a 100% pass rate. My hat is off to you on this accomplishment.

Looks like the Master CFI is worth while too, but it cost big bucks. For what? Reviewing some paperwork every year for $100.00? Lets see $100 x 500 Master CFI's = $50,000 per year for NAFI. That's a lot of money. That's probably equal to the annual salary of their Executive Director. Hummmm.....

And membership for the Master CFI's too, at $50 per year. That's another $25,000 per year for NAFI. ($25,000 + $50,000 = $75,000 per year)

And for this $150 per year I get to fill out all kinds of paperwork for rubber stamping, get a pin and a subscripton to Flying Magazine.

What do you think? Should I go for it?

Well the way you put it, don't do it!! In fact AOPA is overpriced as well, heck any aviation organization, why would you pay the small amount of money. I have seen pilots blow that amount on a night at the bar, or buy that pair of sunglasses that cost almost half my mortgage.

It is so true, Airline Pilots will demand higher wages just to shop at Walmart.

Cheers,

AA

Latest resources

Back