Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Hey all you SA/RP/AWAC/Mesa IAD pilots,

How is the cost of living around Dulles these days? From what I've heard it's high but not as high as NY/California. Looking at a possible relocation in the works.

Thanks,

I believe the DC region is the second most expensive place in the nation, behind BOS. A recient article in the Wash Post stated a family of four needed 64K to meet basic needs.

Dang, does that include Northern VA, specifically the Dulles area, as well? I am looking at Loudon county in particular. Sounds pretty high!

aa73 said:
Hey all you SA/RP/AWAC/Mesa IAD pilots,

How is the cost of living around Dulles these days? From what I've heard it's high but not as high as NY/California. Looking at a possible relocation in the works.

Thanks,

aa73,

better to ask the old ACA now Indy Air pilots.....

If you bought real estate in NOVA in the past three or more years, you've won the lottery. Now just keep up with the taxes....

Lewshun is right on that point. People who bought houses a few years ago are reaping the benefits.

Most townhouses around Dulles are between $300,000 and $400,000. Two bedroom apartments run at $1400-2000 a month. Compared to say Raleigh NC, which is about $600 a month.

Moving in closer to DC, like fairfax, arlington, you can find houses/apartments for the same price but you will see quality decrease in order to stay at the same price. Anything within walking distance to a metro station is about $56 Billion dollars. They are trying to extend the metro out towards dulles...kind of like O'Hare but no one wants to pay for it. I've found most people moving in....buying or building homes are going west and north of Dulles, leesburg etc.
Well just thought i would throw in a few cents to help.

fly2002

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD that's expensive. Awright, I think I'll just stay down here in wallet-friendly TX...

Thanks for the replies.

If you are considering living near Dulles the best place to look is around Winchester and Harper's Ferry WVA. Not as congested and significantly less expensive than suburban DC/Northern VA.

I live near Dulles but a bit more east. My rent, which is average for the whole area is $1410 for a 1 bedroom 820sqft apartment. I wish I lived in Cleveland!!!!! Cost of living SUCKS even if you make 50K or more you will still scrape by.

P2J

WhiteCloud said:
If you are considering living near Dulles the best place to look is around Winchester and Harper's Ferry WVA. Not as congested and significantly less expensive than suburban DC/Northern VA.

At one hour from IAD...that is alot of road time... but many do it... Not bad if your work week is a four day trip....

Watch the 9 to 5 commute times.... it will blow your doors off....

Want to go faster...sometimes... take the Dulles Greenway... at $2.90 each way it will make gas seem cheap...

Latest resources

Back