• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mythbusters, Plane on a treadmill..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know how bad you guys want to keep this thread going so I'll add some more fuel to the fire.

Neal Boortz, the radio talk show host, has a bit in Nealz News http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html today on the subject.

Keep in mind Neal has a PPL and a Mooney so he knows what he is talking about.:rolleyes:
I despise Neal Boortz, but he's got this one right. No doubt about it, the airplane will takeoff.

double post

If you're flying right at a thunderstorm, you're going to hit it. Thunderstorms DO move at the same speed as the air mass; they are created by, and exist entirely within, the air mass! We're not driving cars on the highway, or a ship on the sea, we're flying an airplane in the air. There's just one frame of reference; otherwise you're just fooling yourself.

What do you guys think about losing airspeed in a downwind turn? It's the same basic question...

I despise Neal Boortz, but he's got this one right. No doubt about it, the airplane will takeoff.

With the 3000ft long treadmill, yes the airplane will take off. Provided that the airplane can takeoff on a 3000ft runway. Tire speed is irrelevant. Airflow over the wing is.

As for Boortz, I agree with much of what he says with the big exception being his views on labor. He can be a bit of a jacka$$ at times. But hey it's entertainment.

What do you guys think about losing airspeed in a downwind turn? It's the same basic question...

Do you lose "waterspeed" in a river if you change directions while paddling? No...

If you are doing turns around a point, your airspeed remains constant, even if there is a wind. You drift with the wind, unless you conpensate by increasing your rate of turn during the downwind portion.

Anyway, no. Your groundspeed changes, but your airspeed remains constant. Isn't that obvious?

I'm waiting for "do you walk away if you jump off the floor right before the elevator hits the bottom" ...... when will that episode air?

Do you lose "waterspeed" in a river if you change directions while paddling? No...

If you are doing turns around a point, your airspeed remains constant, even if there is a wind. You drift with the wind, unless you conpensate by increasing your rate of turn during the downwind portion.

Anyway, no. Your groundspeed changes, but your airspeed remains constant. Isn't that obvious?

Yes, it is obvious. Almost as obvious as flying into a thunderstorm when it is right in front of you. That's why I brought it up.

I like the river water analogy, though.

edit:
woohoo! 100th post

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back