• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mythbusters, Plane on a treadmill..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I guess I'll start it. Those of you that went to academys I know they don't teach you anything but how to use the GPS. The speed of the tires does not make the plane fly, it is the airflow over the wings.

Looks like they are going to finally put this one to bed.
This one was put to bed a long time ago for anyone that is actually in possession of an IQ above 70.

There is some great debate over this? Let me get this straight...no relative wind over the wing and there are people out there that think the airplane could get airborne?

People get upset about this because the specifics of the "scenario" are never clear. The "trick" in this question is: the plane can accelerate down the huge treadmill regardless of the treadmill (and hence the wheel rotational) speed, assuming of course that the wheel bearings are "frictionless" and don't fly off due to their tremendous rotational speed (which would be proportional to the plane's forward velolcity PLUS the additional rotational velocity created by the treadmill). In other words, the plane's engines -- which push against the air -- can overcome the reverse velocity created by the treadmill because they are independent variables.

You know what, it is stupid to try to explain this. Forget it.

Latest resources

Back