My suggestion for junior New Delta Folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slinky

As I understand it, typical votes, on any issues at DAL get very few actual votes. If this is the case, all of the junior guys and gals here at DAL, including FNWA, should seriously consider a grass roots effort to vote as a block for our "party". We seriously need to get representation on the LEC's that are JUNIOR FO's. Not FO's that are senior enough to be captains anyway.

If we get a couple thousand guys and gals to vote for people who actually represent our wishes, we at least can be assured that they will, at a minimum, vote in their own best interest. This will of course be in the interest of those of their peer group.

I suggest that we begin to vote in "our people". That would be junior FO's into every position that does not specifically require a Captain. We could effectively take over the MEC by using the normal democratic processes in place.

Do not get me wrong. I am not a union hater. On the contrary, I am a strong union supporter. Nevertheless, I do not feel that on this issue the MEC represented MY interest, nor that of my peer group.

For the Record, I am a DAL 7er FO hired in 07. I consider my Peer group to be those of us at the New Delta in the bottom several thousand of the list.

I am very interested in the opinions from both sides of the family on my suggestion.

Slinky

Great idea, but it will be quite hard to get the my generation to do anything that is not totally about them.
This needs to come from across the board. If junior guys think they can come in and call all of the shots they will get slapped real hard, and not just by the people in the union.
I agree that something needs to be done, but the quickest way to pi$$ off half to this group is to be told what and how to do it by a junior guy.

Last edited:
Great idea, but it will be quite hard to get the my generation to do anything that is not totally about them.
This needs to come from across the board. If junior guys think they can come in and call all of the shots they will get slapped real hard, and not just by the people in the union.
I agree that something needs to be done, but the quickest way to pi$$ off half to this group is to be told what and how to do it by a junior guy.

Maybe, but then again a pretty quick way to pi$$ off a bunch of guys at the bottom is to make decisions that get them furloughed, displaced, force them to commute or just pushed down to reserve. Is our quality of life and job security worth less because of our seniority number? If someone answers yes to this question, then I really do not care if they don't like me.

It must be stated that ALPA is a democratic organization. We elect or representation. If enough people feel threatened to elect people who they feel share their fortunes, by being near to their seniority, then they can at least be assured that these people will accurately represent their wishes.

It is likely that this will not "take over" the MEC. But it could, at the very least, act as a surge damper.

Or I could be wrong....

Discuss

I agree that pilots on the bottom 20% need to be in electable positions. To make the changes that the majority, who vote and nothing else, would like to see, it needs to be a cross section of the group. Not weighted to far junior or senior. That way all voices get heard.

As you know, the quickest way to irritate someone is to be junior and whining about something. They see it as your duty to sit down and be quiet.
I agree that that is BS, but it is also reality. That is why having a guy with a really low seniority number saying the same thing as a guy that has a high one, adds credibility to the argument.

Good idea guys! It worked for the junior folks at UAL...I believe there are two former furloughed pilots on the MEC.

Your point is valid AC65 but so is the original poster. the recent new hires and to an extent, those of us from the previous furlough have no representation. No one who is "currently walking in our shoes". I will assume that it is similar on the FNWA side. With that being said, the MEC doesn't need to be taken over by junior guys as you point out, but they should have allowed for those most directly effected by merger, bankruptcy(prior to you coming here), scope related and economic issues, to be represented. That is the mec's biggest problem here, no one in a position of importance to Lee Moak was representing the bottom of the list, other than line pilots talking to their reps, they should have pulled someone in to represent the junior part of the list--rant over, have a good day.

I wonder how things might have been if the PID had been approved back in 2000? Probably a little late to try and corral all the horses and put them back in the barn now....

ALPA isn't pro-active....it is re-active....

Is our quality of life and job security worth less because of our seniority number? If someone answers yes to this question, then I really do not care if they don't like me.

Or I could be wrong....

Discuss

Hate to break it to you, but the answer to your question from many folks in any union (usually the top 50%) actually is yes.

They will tell you that they have put in the time, gone on strike, made the sacrifices, and paved the way for those that follow.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is out there. Not hatin' on your idea, just sayin'

I am starting to see why Delta had so few grievances on file compared to NWA. It's not that Delta treated its pilots better, it's that the Delta MEC is in bed with the company and the Delta pilots don't do anything about it. The NWA pilots fight for anything and everything. We hate management and understand that they are always trying to screw us because they are.

I agree that the cross section needs to be represented more. Make sure that if you want this and are junior that you run for FO rep when there are elections of your LEC. That in itself will effect change.

Latest resources

Back