Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ultraman

H.N.F. 1924-2003
My dad died yesterday. He was 78 years old and had lived a good life and I am sad.

Ever since he was a child, all he ever wanted to do was fly. And he did. He was a radio operator and navigator on B-17's during WWII. He flew 5 missions on D-Day.

After the war, he finished his ratings and became a charter pilot and flight instructor, sharing his love of flight with others.

In the 1960's, he became a corporate pilot flying twin Commanders. His company bought one of the first Turbo Commanders and he flew it for many years. He flew many 1000 hour years as a single pilot with not much of a radar. As a second job, he would patrol power lines for 25 hours per month.

He passed his love of flying to his children. He taught me and my two older brothers to fly.

He and I crewed a Turbo Commander together for two and a half years in the late 1980's to early 1990's. Those were some of the best years of my life. I learned so much from him. He had to retire when his heart started giving him problems.

He still had his hand in aviation by doing inspections on friends airplanes. He would let those that wanted to do the "grunt" work (packing wheel bearings, removing inspection covers, etc.,) and then he would do the inspection for not much money. Many people have told me over the years that if he had not done it that way, that they could not have afforded to fly.

Recently, I would offer to take him up in our plane so he could fly again, but he wouldn't feel like it. I knew he wasn't feeling well when he would turn down a chance to fly.

So now he is gone. And although I know that he is better now, I am sad. I miss him.

I Love You, Dad. Happy flying with those new wings.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure he is now soaring high in the heavens with a smile on his face looking down at you.

Life goes by too fast-

God Bless ,

3 5 0

I am sorry to hear about your loss. He sounds like a great guy. My condolences to you and your family.

Ultraman,

I am very sorry for your loss.... Your father sounds like he was a fantastic person as well as a terrific father...

Please accept my deepest condolences....

My thoughts are with your family....

Father's passing

I, too, am sorry for your loss.

My father, who died nearly three years ago at age 79, was my hero. He was never a pilot and knew nothing about airplanes, but he possessed every quality of a great captain. No wonder, then, how he achieved his success as a CEO of a corporation.

Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Your words serve as a great tribute to your father. Also, it helps keep us grounded in the important things in life. In this day and age it's easy to forget. Thanks for the reminder, God bless your family and your father.

Hey Ultraman,

I know my time's coming to be in your shoes. Thankfully he took the time to be a hero and you took the time to appreciate it. Both are rare these days. At 78, sounds like he used all the runway. Way to go.

My condolences.

Tom

Well, d-mn, I'm tearing up. Ultraman, that post was something special. Thanks for letting us read a little about a remarkable person who lived a remarkable life. Words don't suffice. I am very sorry for you and your family.

Ultra,

Since your father risked so much for all of us during WWII, he was not just your hero. Though we never knew him, he (and men like him) was a hero to every person who loves this country and values the freedom that he protected.

When you talk to him in your prayers, thank him for all of us.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Latest resources

Back