My DAL Jumpseat Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uhh Ohhh

Skibum1 you sound sore that he is setting a "trend" and that he has 7k hours. I do respect those who served our country but the reality is that civilians get to the majors faster in most cases. By the time we are your age you will be slinging gear for us. Get over it. I was never disiplined enough to join the mil. Bad taste to bring up what he discussed. Im sure he wasnt rude or disrespectful.
I took it that he was just trying to show that there's always 2 sides to every story (which there usually is). Didn't sound like he has "hours envy" either, just saying with 7000 hours he should know the gig. Let's just turn this into another classic mil vs civ thread while we're at it. Big meat...how appropriate.

Not to redirect this thread, but I meant to post this month ago and never got around to it. I jumpseated with delta JFK to Athens, GR, months ago and it was the absolute best experience I have ever had on an airplane. They were fantastic. (Thanks, guys and gals.) The FA's were so considerate I felt embarrassed that I was free-loading.

Statistically one event, no matter how bad, is still just one data point. I have JS'd with delta a few times now and thay have always been great.

Debo007,
I wasn't there for your ATL to SAV leg with the grumpy Capt, but I was the F/O on the MD88 that took you from ATL to SAV for your funeral. It appears that your boarding interruptions are a trend.

You probably don't recall interrupting the Captain and I about 3 minutes to push with your dissertation about you funeral/wedding trip. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, that was the longest introduction I've ever seen." We were both still pleasant with you, but you need to realize that you're not the only one on the flight with a story.

I'm sure you know this with 7,000 hours, but a sub one-minute intro will suffice. In fact, if it's obvious that we're late, busy, and/or rushed and you're sitting in the back, just say "thank you" at the end of the flight and apologize for not doing it before hand.

Sorry that you ran into a bummed-out Capt, but those things happen. Take care.

A long introduction may not be appropriate for you, but in most cases it's appropriate for me (it's nice to talk to someone besides the captain some times). That said, every situation is different and as a jump-seater you have to figure out what's appropriate for a particular situation.

It's certainly not be appropriate to interrupt in the final stages before push back, but sometimes that situation is difficult to discern and can be easily culled by either flight crew member asking the jump-seater to take a seat in the back or simply to give them a minute to do their duties. All this can be done efficiently and politely without questioning the jump-seater's intelligence. As a First Officer I don't get to decide whether a guy rides or not, but I interact with nearly every jump-seater (which brings up another point; INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO THE FO), and when I'm in a hurry I've never felt the need to berate a jump-seater. I don't kick my dog either.

I had been to an unexpected funeral

I had to be at a wedding and I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO BE on this flight .

So which was it? Or are you filming the sequel to four weddings and a funeral?
:p
Seriously though, these things should be kept among pilots. Dont go to the CP. And by the way, you still got on right? So get over it, seriously.

Last edited:
One more thing...be thankful that you were never in Iraq, a freshman at a service academy, or a 2LT in a fighter squadron.

Thankfully at an airline you don't have to drop bombs or fly in formation, or memorize a little red book full of quotes. Some pilots like to think their rank in the military still counts, even though other pilots chose to stay out of the military.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I took it that he was just trying to show that there's always 2 sides to every story (which there usually is). Didn't sound like he has "hours envy" either, just saying with 7000 hours he should know the gig. Let's just turn this into another classic mil vs civ thread while we're at it. Big meat...how appropriate.

Regardless, no jumpseater should be yelled at, period. If this guy yelled at somebody he didn't know, he should be called out for it. That is ridiculous. The Captain could have said "sorry, we don't have time for this...." Yelling or berating statements should not happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Debo007,
I wasn't there for your ATL to SAV leg with the grumpy Capt, but I was the F/O on the MD88 that took you from ATL to SAV for your funeral. It appears that your boarding interruptions are a trend.

You probably don't recall interrupting the Captain and I about 3 minutes to push with your dissertation about you funeral/wedding trip. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, that was the longest introduction I've ever seen." We were both still pleasant with you, but you need to realize that you're not the only one on the flight with a story.

I'm sure you know this with 7,000 hours, but a sub one-minute intro will suffice. In fact, if it's obvious that we're late, busy, and/or rushed and you're sitting in the back, just say "thank you" at the end of the flight and apologize for not doing it before hand.

Sorry that you ran into a bummed-out Capt, but those things happen. Take care.

Are you frickin' serious? The fact that I board 3 mins prior to push is not my fault. Your DAL agents always wait til the last second to let off-line guys board in case a Delta guy shows up. So I went down when I was told. As far as having "the longest intro you ever heard", all I was doing is answering the CA's questions about where I was going.

As far as your comment about not being in the military. What the hell does that have to so with anything? I was only trying to be friendly. To be honest, what drives most people crazy is when guys have a very BRIEF introduction...You know like the ones who throw the slip at you and say "I'll be riding in the back"

Unbelievable…you we’re chatting it up, blocking the door, got your feelings hurt and now going to tell. What are you 4? The poor Delta CA probably had enough to deal with without your whiny ass showing up and adding more drama to the boarding process.

I can understand going to the JSC or Chief if you were denied boarding for any reason, kicked off inappropriately (like I did by a Freedom guy) etc, etc…but because you got a free ride and your feelings hurt give me a break.

Could the Delta guy have been a little more cordial when he asked you to move…sure. But you have to realize that YOU are the reason he barked at you. Do you think he would have talked to you that way if you were NOT in the way? I don’t think so. Give him a break, (like he did with you) and get over your hurt feelings.

Unbelievable…you we’re chatting it up, blocking the door, got your feelings hurt and now going to tell. What are you 4? The poor Delta CA probably had enough to deal with without your whiny ass showing up and adding more drama to the boarding process.

I can understand going to the JSC or Chief if you were denied boarding for any reason, kicked off inappropriately (like I did by a Freedom guy) etc, etc…but because you got a free ride and your feelings hurt give me a break.

Could the Delta guy have been a little more cordial when he asked you to move…sure. But you have to realize that YOU are the reason he barked at you. Do you think he would have talked to you that way if you were NOT in the way? I don’t think so. Give him a break, (like he did with you) and get over your hurt feelings.

Back to the Regional Forum's with your dumb a$$.

Latest resources

Back