MX with the little guys

RockBass14

Total Time
Is MX with the little 1900 operators really THAT bad? I had a Xjet guy tell me he'd think twice about sending his family on a flight that included a colgan or lakes airplane. I know of the Colgan 1900 that crashed flying back for MX not to long ago, but you really dont hear much about FATAL accidents with these airlines, or do you?

puttin4doh

Total Time
Hey there Rockbass, I'm not really sure what that person had against Colgan or Lakes. But I have a couple friends at both places, and they've never indicated anything unsafe about their maintenance. They wouldn't last long as a 121 carrier if the feds thought the way your friend does. Tell your family to enjoy the ride...

erj-145mech

Total Time
Rockbass, you have to ask yourself a question, what qualifies that XJet guy to make a blanket statement like that? Was/is he a MX guy on those 1900's?

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, and thats just what they are, opinions. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody had one and they all stink.

pilotmyf

Total Time
3:15am
RockBass14 said:
Is MX with the little 1900 operators really THAT bad? I had a Xjet guy tell me he'd think twice about sending his family on a flight that included a colgan or lakes airplane. I know of the Colgan 1900 that crashed flying back for MX not to long ago, but you really dont hear much about FATAL accidents with these airlines, or do you?
Another I heard story.

English

Total Time
RockBass14 said:
...but you really dont hear much about FATAL accidents with these airlines, or do you?

Colgan B1900 crash off Hyannis killed two people.

Air Midwest B1900 crash at Charlotte killed 21 people.

Both within the last few years and both involved questionable maintenance practices.

meatwallet

certified muff diver
Total Time
3:16
RockBass14 said:

Because the XJET guy is some f*cking expert on the industry, right?

xjavro85

Total Time
enough
English said:
Colgan B1900 crash off Hyannis killed two people.

Air Midwest B1900 crash at Charlotte killed 21 people.

Both within the last few years and both involved questionable maintenance practices.

Both were 3rd party scab maintenance, think about that next time you jump on a northwest flight.

pilotmyf

Total Time
RockBass14 said:
This is a pretty reckless quote!!!

millhouse21

No longer in the Sand Box
Total Time
It's not just the 1900 operators that have crappy maint. There are other operators, some flying jets, that have extremely unsafe maint practices. The difference is that these haven't had an accident......yet.

mckpickle

Total Time
Maybe it has to do with all the Colgan guys on here who quit because they fear for their life. Maybe all those single engine landings Colgan seems to have? I'm not sure but me thinks I'm a little safer flying someone reputable than an airline that contracts it MX out to the lowest bidder.

Alchemy

Total Time
I know we have at least one commuter who takes eagle through DFW to get to IAH rather than fly direcet to IAH on Colgan.

A little silly if you ask me, especially if you've ever instructed in a rust bucket 172 (I'm sure a colgan saab is as safe as a qantas 747 by comparison), but they do seem to have a lot of problems for a 121 carrier. We (expressjet) have to deadhead on colgan every so often so it can't be completely avoided. Personally the only problem I have with the whole operation is that I wish we still did the prop flying for CAL, but I don't really blame colgan or their pilots, mostly my own company and continental for letting that go.

pilotmyf

Total Time
The egos on some of you expressjet guys are amazing!!!

pilotmyf

Total Time
RockBass14 said:
Or into Beaumont with a checkairman on Express!!!

erj-145mech

Total Time
Nine thirty one wasn't a revenue flight or out of maintenance.

What about the Eagle SF-340 that ran off the runway at Killeen? What about the Eagle SF-340 that had too much air in the fuel tanks that put it in the rice paddy near New Roads, LA? Those were both revenue flights. The only thing that should be MEL'd is the loose nut behind the yoke.

BRA

Rollins Rules!
Total Time
xjavro85 said:
Both were 3rd party scab maintenance, think about that next time you jump on a northwest flight.

I don't believe that to be true about the colgan flight?

ATLplt

"Well, do ya, punk?"
Total Time
>1
mckpickle said:
Maybe all those single engine landings Colgan seems to have?
Didn't XJET have to shut one down into MEM last week??

mckpickle

Total Time
ATLplt said:
Didn't XJET have to shut one down into MEM last week??

Who cares.....we have 1400 flights a day. I'm thinking we go through an engine or two a month. Colgan has, what 8 flights?

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
RockBass14 said:
Is MX with the little 1900 operators really THAT bad?

Depends on what "little 1900 operator" you're talking about. CommutAir's maintenance is very, very good.