Multi at ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALIMBO

Anybody done there multi at ATP? Specifically the bowling green location? Do they have the newer or older Seminoles there? Thanks

I did my private multi, CFII and MEI with them in Aurora, and over 50 hours of time building out of Seattle years back. Training is very structured and prepares you to pass the checkride....that's it. For a quick add on rating and such they come recommended in my book. I'm not too sure how I consider them for initial ratings and whatnot seeing as they seem to prepare you for the bare basics. Any prudent pilot who does an add on rating should persue additional studying and well as additional experience and training on their own BEYOND the checkride. Always be the best you can be...don't just "pass the test". As far as the multi goes...go pass the test and build that multi time. No insurance company will let you touch a twin by yourself with a fresh multi cert. You'll probably need about 50 hours or so of multi time before you can take one solo; BUT, any time you fly a twin you can now get the PIC time. So it's certainly worth it. That's the reason I got my private multi way back when.

Anyway, how I just got on that rant I have no idea. To answer your question, I'd recommend ATP; but, take them for what they're worth...a checkride prep school. As far as the Bowling Green location I'll get back to you on that in a couple days. I'm driving down there tomorrow to start my ATP training on Wed. with the checkride on Friday morning. I'll get you all the info I can.

Hey thanks a bunch where you going to stay at down there? I'm a broke college kid who delivers news papers in the wee hours of night to afford this so I don't care how crappy the cheapest motel is just let me know if you know of any roach coaches. Now here's my big question how was it for your CFI/II, MEI? I plan on going to either the Jacksonville or Dallas location for that same program, but I'm afraid they will teach me how to pass the checkride but not how to teach? I don't want to instruct just because I can, I want to be able to really teach people the right way the first time. To be honest I'm quite nervous of the fact that I could be potentially signing someone off to solo. I know the first time I went solo I almost ******************** myself, and some of my CFI friends told me they were more scared sending students on their first solo than when they went on theirs years back. So don't leave out any details on the CFI program if it's best to go else where I'd rather spend the money on quality instruction. Thanks for all the help.

I did my MEI add-on at the Bowling Green location a couple years ago. At the time they had the older Seminoles. They had two instructors and one or two Seminoles, but I understand that changes all the time. I had a good experience and would recommend it for add-on ratings. For your initial CFI I recommend you find an experienced instructor at a local FBO.

As far as motels there were several just down the road from the airport. The typical franchise names in all price ranges.

Good luck whichever path you take!

7574ever I will be interested in your ATP experience, I am considering the same program.

It's a spoon-fed mill. They'll send you a booklet. KNOW everything in it. You'll walk out with a MEL. ALL of the Seminoles get moved around (x-ctry students), so you may or may not have a newer one. Try to fly the same one throughout up to checkride. Restart procedures differ slightly depending on the model year.

BTW, depending on the location, it ain't the cake walk some think it is. The examiner before mine failed an MEL and ATP applicant. I passed though! :)

Also, try to go to a location that has the Seminole simulator setup. It's free to use in the program and helps tremendously in practicing ME procedures between flights.

To start..ALIMBO. I didn't do my initial CFI with them. I did it through my university the long slow way. I echo what CFIjim said about getting quality instruction for the initial. Even doing only the add-ons with ATP I'd recommend some hardcore studying on your own before you go in. As Amish pointed out, they send you a booklet and you need to know it front to cover. HOWEVER; this book is only about 20 pages so there is very very little material covered. So, memorizing should not be a feat of strength. Most of it is Seminole systems and the company's flight profiles. There is, I believe, ONE page that covers IFR regs. I have no issues with folks who do their add-on CFI ratings in the "get rich quick" courses. What I DO have an issue with is people who do them and come out thinking they're Gods gift to flight instructing. As long as you know you were trained to pass a checkride profile and not to be a proficient instructor you'll be alright. Just be diligent and hit the books on your own. Remember when your a CFI you're responsible for you, your student and THEIR future passengers. The one thing you'll learn quickly is that the PTS is a joke. Teach your students to be REAL pilots not just pass the checkride. Be their mentor and gain their respect. Don't sign them off just because they can meet PTS standards. Make them pilots...not "aircraft flight control operators". If and when your student goes on to be a flight instructor they can only teach his or her students what it is that they know and everything that THEY know came from you. See the chain? Don't be worried about soloing your students. Remeber that everything that student knows came from you. So, if you're not confident in your student...you're basically saying that you're not confident with yourself. Hence going back to discussion of getting quality instruction for your initial CFI.

As far as my II/MEI experience goes...I actually did my MEI and II add on at seperate times. Where I was teaching IFR students were scarce for some reason at the time; but, there were quite a few multi students so I went to ATP and knocked it out in two days. At the time I had about a year and a half of CFI experience under my belt and about 150 total multi. So I felt pretty comfortable about going the "quickie" way. I recall the training and checkride to be a non-event. Basically fly the twin and run through the maneuvers from the right seat. I went in for the II about a year later and it was pretty much the same deal - fly the plane under the hood from the right seat, fly some approaches, examiner flies some approaches while you teach her.

I'm going to be interested in the Bowling Green location. I'm from the west burbs of Chicago so all my previous stuff with them (with the exception of the time building out of Seattle and up and down the west coast) was done out of the Chicago/Aurora location which they've closed down. I think I'm staying at a Super 8 down there. There are also some hamptons and marriotts in the area from what I understand. If the Super8 is a dive and I end up with bed bug bites tonight I'll probably go somewhere else for the remainder.

Second...CFIjim. I'll be sure to post how the ATP goes. I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Last edited:
Ya I just pretty much signed up for my CFI/II at American Flyers much more structured program where they actually teach you how to be a CFI not pass the checkride. That was my biggest concern 2 weeks seems very rusched to get all the instructor ratings.

Aren't they offering the CFI at SIU? (I'm assuming that's where you go considering your profile)

How long is the American Flyers program?

I did my MEI at the Bowling Green location. Already had my CFI and CFII. The oral consisted of 1 question followed by a short flight...

Latest resources

Back