• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ClassG

Found this on AvFlash:

CONGRESSMEN PUSH FAA TO EVALUATE MU-2
The FAA has agreed to evaluate the safety of the Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 twin turboprop, after several members of Congress from Colorado asked for the airplane to be grounded. Two MU-2s have crashed in Colorado in the last year, killing three people. The FAA will not ground the aircraft, but will examine its record and check operational procedures and pilot training, The Washington Times reported on Thursday. Further, the FAA "won't hesitate to do that [ground the fleet] if we have the data to support it," FAA spokeswoman Alison Duquette told the Times. Mitsubishi disputes claims that the aircraft is unsafe, the Times said.

Guess somebody got their wish.

ClassG

In Smyrna, TN. (KMQY) there is an incredeible MU-2 Training facility "Howell Enterprises Inc." If Mr. Howell Trains you, you will be one of the best MU-2 Pilots in the world. There is nothing wrong with the MU-2... Much respect to all those involved in the accidents with this craft. However, the pilots who are not bad people or bad pilots are almost always insufficiently trained for the systems of an incredibly unique and fast aircraft.

Check Out:

http://www.mu2b.com

My brother trained at Howell on the MU-2.

And as a matter of fact, according to his employer and fellow pilots he was not simply "one of the best MU-2 pilots," he was THE best they had.

He's dead now. Died in an MU-2 crash last year.

Oh, and Reece Howell even came to his memorial service.

please excuse my ignorance, but what is so inherently dangerous about the MU-2? I have a limited understanding of it, other than it's a 2 engined turboprob that i believe only used spoiler(ons?) for roll control.

PolarTwins55 said:
please excuse my ignorance, but what is so inherently dangerous about the MU-2? I have a limited understanding of it, other than it's a 2 engined turboprob that i believe only used spoiler(ons?) for roll control.

Pretty short distance from the CG to the rudder too, no? Sh*tty SE rudder performance/help?

No experience...just an observation/slightly educated guess.

-mini

PolarTwins55 said:

http://www.mu2b.com/overview.htm

I flew extensively with 4mybro's brother. He was an excellent pilot. He was proficient in the MU2 and a conservative professional airman. He had thousands of hours in the MU2, was a furloughed USAir B737 pilot and a type rated contract CL601 pilot. He was also a great guy.

I dont buy the NTSB probable cause in this accident for one second. I recall one night one of our MU2's took off and developed jammed roll control spoilers. The pilot managed to nurse it back in. On the ramp it was discovered that loose part left behind after maintainance work had lodged itself under the spoiler. Had this aircraft crashed I am quite sure the probable cause would not have reflected the reality because the impact would have displaced the culprit.
The investigative process is not as definitive as some believe.

Having said the above I loved flying the MU2 and would fly it again anytime.

I can imagine maintenance is a problem area with many operators trying to squeeze a buck as far as they can get away with. I bet with some accidents it is hard to trace. Kind of a stretch to pin all accidents on the pilot or the airplane's design. The mu2 sounds like a brick or quite a handful on one engine.

I wonder if any of these peices of sh!t that got this ground the MU-2 kick started ever thought about those people that pay there bills and feed there families flying the MU-2. When aviation started guys died everyday flying airplanes, but you didnt see anyone grounded every airplane out there. Yes the MU-2 is more dangerous to fly than many others, but the people who fly it do so knowingly. I would be willing to bet that quite a few actually fly this aircraft because of this reason. As far as I am concerened if you fly the most dangerous airplane out there, in the worst conditions you are the best of the best. So back up off the airplane and let people make there own decisions. That is what being an American is all about anyway isnt it.

Latest resources

Back