• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MSNBC: A CAL captain just died in flight. Plane making an emergency landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya know, here is an example of what a news station should provide. It isn't perfect and the expert is a bit of a dweeb, but there are no inaccuracies and not one mention of a f'in twittytweet dumbass non-news source. Kudos to the BBC, as always, making our networks look like idiots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8108048.stm

61. This never would have happened if he had retired when he was supposed to... (Yes. I realize this is callous, but it had to be said as the issue was brought up ad nauseum during the Age 60 fight. They said it would never happen... Condolences to his family.)

Fox News reported that ALL air traffic inbound to the NY/NJ area will be diverted/sent "FAR, FAR away" so that this plane, with its "backup crew" will not "risk running into another aircraft".

Proud to be an F/O on a day like this. "Am I your pilot? Uh no ma'am. I just sit up there to make sure the other guy isn't dead or dying. Should be a smooth ride out to Denver today."

"Never happen" that's just not true. Pilots from the mid 40's to late 50's have died in flight sense I started this gig. Whats is needed is improved medical standards for all of us over the age of say 35....what we have now is a joke..

Wasn't there a study stating that every year you fly over age 60 you lose a few due to time zone change affects on your body? I wonder if this will affect the minds of any older NWA pilots considering early outs? I bet it will affect their wives minds---they are probably yelling "retire you old bastards! We need a comfortable life too!" RIP to the CAL Captain.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Very sorry to hear a fellow pilot died. Is anyone really surprised he was over 60? Before I left the clown show(aviation) I had to take over the aircraft and return to land. The captain after having his circadian rythm flipped on the third day totaly zoned out, I mean bye, bye, lights are on and nobody's home. You just can't deal with these schedules at an older age. Great guy though and a better pilot than me when well rested. Let's face it switching to 65 had nothing to do with safety.

Wasn't there a study stating that every year you fly over age 60 you lose a few due to time zone change affects on your body? I wonder if this will affect the minds of any older NWA pilots considering early outs? I bet it will affect their wives minds---they are probably yelling "retire you old bastards! We need a comfortable life too!" RIP to the CAL Captain.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Excactly.

How's Delta doing? I'm sure glad you guys escaped the death throws of US Air. It's good to see at least a few guys live the dream. About 1/3 the guys I knew at AmWest have bailed, including myself.

Excactly.

How's Delta doing? I'm sure glad you guys escaped the death throws of US Air. It's good to see at least a few guys live the dream. About 1/3 the guys I knew at AmWest have bailed, including myself.

We're doing alright. Definitely not the toxic culture at AWA/USAir. As far as living the dream, many would say that the last 7-8 years have been a nightmare. We are all hoping for better times ahead, some year....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bye Bye--General Lee

Never read that one but my own Dr told me a few months ago not to retire at 60, actual he said "You'd be foolish" . Of course he knows my health's and is one of those guy that does lots of test so he is not just guessing. Told me most of the folks in his practice that retire early died early. I'm 56 BTW.

A heck of a lot better than being in some hospital bed somewhere while you go. Age issue aside, I would love to feel that good hours before my death....no operations, no treatments, no medical bills for my family. What a way to go. Rest in Peace.

Given the choice, I would prefer to die at home surrounded by loved ones. Not flying into my 60s cause my retirement, compensation, bennefits, etc have been raped and pillaged. Do some folks on here have no life outside of flying? Sad, very sad.

After 30 years of flying I think my body will want me to give it up. I don't fly long-haul but I can imagine what that does to your body over time.

RIP to the deceased pilot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back