Moustaches?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bronco Buster

I should be interviewing at NJA in the next month or two. What's their position/attitude on moustaches for both the interview and at work. I've had my moustache for over 35 years at both the military and a major airline with no problems (it's always well trimmed.) I have no compunction about shaving it off permanently if it will help me get hired or is a requirement (even if unwritten) for the job. Thanks in advance for your comments.

You'll never get hired with a moustache. You should shave it off prior to the interview.

I can't speak for what the interviewers may or may not think, but there are a number of pilots here at NJA with moustaches. There were even in a few in my indoc class with moustaches, too.

Actually I was kidding. I kinda think it's funny that you have a "35 year" moustache and are looking to an anonymous web board on weather to cut it off or not. The fact that you listed 15,340 hours total is also a little funny.

I once went to an interview with a moustache- the moustache got the job and I didn't.
I hate moustaches............................................

Personally, I would shave it off. Both times I interviewed for airline jobs I went sans moustache even though I frequently have one. It probably didn't make a difference, but I did get the job both times. Why chance it?

The best plan is to eliminate anything that might even remotely stand between you and the job. A moustache all by itself is probably not going to tip the scales against you. Neither will a slightly loud tie. Neither will loafer type dress shoes. Neither will being slightly overweight. Who knows if a combination of any of these plus a slightly weird answer to a TMAAT question will make the difference. IMO, you should remove anything that may be perceived negatively. It's the overall way you present yourself that counts. All the plusses add up and all the negatives add up. You want to make sure you have as few negatives as possible. You never know which small thing might make a difference to the overall score. Shaving the moustache is too easy and insigificant not to do it. I know it doesn't really mean anything but this is how the game is played. It'll grow back. Just do it. Remember, cooperate and graduate. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back