Mountain Air Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mac

Thanks for the info. Excellent - I always worry about the SIM - guess its better than being too casual. I'm sure once I get to the experience level they are looking for I'll be more confident, I a 100 hour PPL right now...keep it coming...

PC- Sir, you've dated yourself...good manners went the way of the dinosaur...Your parents did a good job...:)

I'm forced to be polite- the AF hits me with a big stick if I get too out of line...

-LA

CrimsonEclipse said:
Bases range on type of aircraft.
C-208
MEM, FLL, Ft. Pierce (I think), San Juan, a bunch of others, I'll edit if I
remember any more

F-27 is going the way of the Dodo. For now, the F27 is in MIA, BQN,
MEM, IND. None are really bases per se, they seem to be all floaters.

ATR-42 is all over, Nashville, MEM, Chattenooga(ms), and a Jacksonville
i think, and a bunch (like I said, I'll repost if I remember more)

ATR-72 Soon to be South America.

http://www.airt.net/

F/O F27 and ATR are the same pay, ($24,000 to start)
C-208 is $32,000 (give or take)

As for time, it varies. You'll want 1000 PIC for the C-208. I'm thinking
a pulse is needed for F/O's right now.

The "sim" test is a PC with a yoke and panel attachment. Single engine.
The roll rate is like a freakin' fighter jet so be sharp.
On the VOR approach, the course changes after the VOR, remember
to change the OBS when you cross! And checklist (should go without saying)

I'll check back ina few days if you want more info.

CE

Wow 1000PIC??? ... a case for a CFI. That is not even P135. I am having a hard time believing that. The caravan sure sound lovely though. I am also sure I can still fly a PC... not so sure about real planes anymore (j/k). I wouldn't even care about my possible regional interview if I could stay in FL and fly a caravan... at least for now when my hands are tied (as far as relocation).

Is there any chance to get FLL? Any training contract to sign? Cause I am as broke as a Ford out of warranty. What do they fly out of FLL? I know they fly the caravan but I am sure they won't let you loose in that with 1000PIC. What is a typical schedule? Sorry for the amount of questions but their site is not very informative.

Thanks for any info.

huncowboy said:
I wouldn't even care about my possible regional interview if I could stay in FL and fly a caravan... at least for now when my hands are tied (as far as relocation).

Say that in August when it's 105 out with 99% humidity with no a/c.

http://www.airt.net/macflightdepartment.html

There's the 'expanded' version of the flight requirements - 208 requires 1500 TT & 135 mins.

I thought that FedEx required 2000 TT for their Caravan feeders? When I was researching that area of the industry I remember everyone I looked up had that requirement...!?!

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
Say that in August when it's 105 out with 99% humidity with no a/c.

http://www.airt.net/macflightdepartment.html

There's the 'expanded' version of the flight requirements - 208 requires 1500 TT & 135 mins.

I thought that FedEx required 2000 TT for their Caravan feeders? When I was researching that area of the industry I remember everyone I looked up had that requirement...!?!

~wheelsup

Thanks!
Still beats the pattern anytime. I am used to FL flying. That is all I am used to. Unfortunately looks like they want you to be willing to move anywhere... I just can't do that at the moment unless commuting is managable. I just can't believe even 1500TT (which btw I don't have yet) is competitive. Probably more along the lines of 2k like you mentioned.

Ok SLOW DOWN tiger.

FAR 135 is 1200TT not PIC.
Best of luck for FLL, that's usually a pretty in demand station.
Training contracts usually run 1 year.
Schedules are usually 5 days a week (some routes are 4 or 6)
The times vary widely. Some are 4 hour duty days and others are 16
hour duty days. Some will have 40 hours a month a I know of a few
who have had 80 to 100 hours a month. It's usually night flying
(which is easier anyway)

Each airplane will teach you a skill.
C-208 To be self sufficient (but it is REALLY easy to fly)
ATR To use more modern equipment.
F27 To be a real good pilot and CRM (there is no auto pilot on most)
and there are no idiot proof systems so you can screw up. Master
the F27, and jets will be REALLY easy.

Note that the F/O is 1000TT. Never sell yourself short.
Just remember you are applying at a cargo operation. They are a
different breed.

CE

huncowboy said:
Wow 1000PIC??? ... a case for a CFI. That is not even P135. I am having a hard time believing that. The caravan sure sound lovely though. I am also sure I can still fly a PC... not so sure about real planes anymore (j/k). I wouldn't even care about my possible regional interview if I could stay in FL and fly a caravan... at least for now when my hands are tied (as far as relocation).

Is there any chance to get FLL? Any training contract to sign? Cause I am as broke as a Ford out of warranty. What do they fly out of FLL? I know they fly the caravan but I am sure they won't let you loose in that with 1000PIC. What is a typical schedule? Sorry for the amount of questions but their site is not very informative.

Thanks for any info.

we have bases at gso, cae , myr
I thought I'd seen a bunch of FedEx vans and F27s during the early morning push out of GSO. Too many for it to just be a stop on the tour. Do you know which aircraft are based there? The website doesn't list the aircraft, or at least it didn't last time I was there.

Minh

I'm sure that with Fed Ex placing a hub at GSO there will be alot more work out of GSO with MAC as well. My friend will be glad to hear that there are GSO bases, he's been wanting to move back there for like ever.

PilotChapin said:
I'm sure that with Fed Ex placing a hub at GSO there will be alot more work out of GSO with MAC as well. My friend will be glad to hear that there are GSO bases, he's been wanting to move back there for like ever.

I think 2 (F27) runs go into GSO but I don't think they are BASED in GSO.
Same goes for MEM, there are 5 or 6 ATR's there but only 1 or 2 are
base there.

CE

CrimsonEclipse said:
I think 2 (F27) runs go into GSO but I don't think they are BASED in GSO.
Same goes for MEM, there are 5 or 6 ATR's there but only 1 or 2 are
base there.

CE

oooooh I see, yeah my friend called the HR lady sometime today and she told him that they have a couple of Caravans based out of GSO. Nothing open yet I think but it's good to know that they have some scheduled runs out of GSO. Good deal. F27 seems like a fun plane to fly....is it a Piston or a Turbo-prop?

Latest resources

Back