Motor vs. Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
garf12 said:
Thats generally accepted, but I watched a show on the history channel about this, and there are all kinds of debates about it.

For example as listed above Ford Motor Comapany, and why is Detroit known as Motor City and not Engine City?

I'm sure they used Motor because that was what it was called back in the day. Just like most people don't say automobile anymore but rather car/truck/bus/weinermobile.

I look at it this way.....Technical terms......Motor= electric device. Engine= Internal combustion.

However if on a day to day basis you really worry about the two.........huge huge stick up the kiester! :)

From a strictly pedantic viewpoint, a motor is a device which runs from an external source of mechanical energy (electrical, hydraulidic, pneumatic) and an engine produces it's own mechanical energy.

A Squared said:
From a strictly pedantic viewpoint, a motor is a device which runs from an external source of mechanical energy (electrical, hydraulidic, pneumatic) and an engine produces it's own mechanical energy.

Then what about a steam driven piston engine? An external source, just like hydraulic fluid. Always hear of steam engines, but not steam motors.

mtrv said:
Then what about a steam driven piston engine? An external source, just like hydraulic fluid. Always hear of steam engines, but not steam motors.

Steam ENGINE = External Combustion Engine
auto engine = internal combustion

If we get bought by Mesa, I'm applying to the Durango-Silverton narrow guage railroad! They must have some sort of use for a former nuclear steam engine operator!!

TonyC said:
Cars have motors, and reservations have engines.
Intersting segue...

They were having a Tea Drinking constest on the Oneida reservation this weekend and after it was over, they found the winner dead in his tea pee.

In Italy, the multiengine rating is "mutli-motor", but yeah, in English there is the distinction......

I have motored the engine but I have never engined the motor. At least not knowingly.

A motor converts energy into work, an engine converts thermal energy into work.

An engine is also a motor, but a motor might not be an engine.

For example, a motor could convert hydraulic pressure into motion, or electricity into motion, spring pressure into motion, or even rubber band pressure into motion; but an engine only converts heat from fuel into motion (work).

Dictionary.com defines engine as:

1. A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.
    2. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.
and motor as:

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
Hope that helps.

enigma

Latest resources

Back