Motor vs. Engines

DX Rick

Total Time
I have had a few people ask which "motor" is in my car.

I was always told MOTORS are powered by electricity and ENGINES are powered by combustable fuels.

Isn't this correct?

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
DX Rick said:
I was always told MOTORS are powered by electricity and ENGINES are powered by combustable fuels.

Isn't this correct?
Cars have motors, and reservations have engines.

:)

DX Rick

Total Time
TonyC said:

Careful, I don't want the NCAA to ban my engine.

Spooky 1

Total Time
Some
DX Rick said:

Isn't this correct?

Your dead on CORRECT!

Bluestreak

Fitty-Six F100's rock
Total Time
Miller
Yeah,that's why there's General Engines and Ford Engine Company.

Whiskey Tango

Total Time
I someone corects me when I talk about the motor in my car, I am going to punch them in the nose.

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Whiskey Tango said:
I someone corects me when I talk about the motor in my car, I am going to punch them in the nose.
You got the big motor or the little motor?

Git 'er done.

ONT SUM ?

Wonna Coke?

Spooky 1

Total Time
Some
That's why the FE ticket is called Reciprocating Engine, not Reciprocating Motor.

garf12

Total Time
DX Rick said:

Isn't this correct?

Thats generally accepted, but I watched a show on the history channel about this, and there are all kinds of debates about it.

For example as listed above Ford Motor Comapany, and why is Detroit known as Motor City and not Engine City?

Pugh

Droopy Member
Total Time
garf12 said:
Thats generally accepted, but I watched a show on the history channel about this, and there are all kinds of debates about it.

For example as listed above Ford Motor Comapany, and why is Detroit known as Motor City and not Engine City?

I'm sure they used Motor because that was what it was called back in the day. Just like most people don't say automobile anymore but rather car/truck/bus/weinermobile.

KeroseneSnorter

Robust Member
Total Time
Miller
I look at it this way.....Technical terms......Motor= electric device. Engine= Internal combustion.

However if on a day to day basis you really worry about the two.........huge huge stick up the kiester! :)

A Squared

Total Time
From a strictly pedantic viewpoint, a motor is a device which runs from an external source of mechanical energy (electrical, hydraulidic, pneumatic) and an engine produces it's own mechanical energy.

mtrv

Total Time
500-
A Squared said:
From a strictly pedantic viewpoint, a motor is a device which runs from an external source of mechanical energy (electrical, hydraulidic, pneumatic) and an engine produces it's own mechanical energy.

Then what about a steam driven piston engine? An external source, just like hydraulic fluid. Always hear of steam engines, but not steam motors.

Hovernut

Home Based Again!
Total Time
mtrv said:
Then what about a steam driven piston engine? An external source, just like hydraulic fluid. Always hear of steam engines, but not steam motors.

Steam ENGINE = External Combustion Engine
auto engine = internal combustion

If we get bought by Mesa, I'm applying to the Durango-Silverton narrow guage railroad! They must have some sort of use for a former nuclear steam engine operator!!

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
TonyC said:
Intersting segue...

They were having a Tea Drinking constest on the Oneida reservation this weekend and after it was over, they found the winner dead in his tea pee.

727gm

Total Time
12000+
In Italy, the multiengine rating is "mutli-motor", but yeah, in English there is the distinction......

Axel

I have motored the engine but I have never engined the motor. At least not knowingly.

enigma

good ol boy
Total Time
>1500
A motor converts energy into work, an engine converts thermal energy into work.

An engine is also a motor, but a motor might not be an engine.

For example, a motor could convert hydraulic pressure into motion, or electricity into motion, spring pressure into motion, or even rubber band pressure into motion; but an engine only converts heat from fuel into motion (work).

Dictionary.com defines engine as:

1. A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.
    2. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.
and motor as:

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
Hope that helps.

enigma