• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More WalMart. Gotta Luv thier low prices

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes we are all weeping victims of the EVIL WALMART.

I encourage you to vote with your wallet.

I guess companies could sell to other retailers.

I don't think Walmart uses physical force to get these suppliers to cut costs or to sell to them.

I don't shop at Walmart because of their disrespect for property rights in getting land for stores. They have a tendency to bribe local govts to use eminent domain to run people out of their homes. That is illegal and I have a real problem with it.

All the other stuff about them has been going on in this country for one hundred years. It is called competition. Get used to it, your parents and grandparents had to, and so will you.

Support Commies!
Buy WalMart!
Even Republicans like to save a buck!

rettofly said:
The consumer DOES define the market because the consumer looks for the best price. That's why capital moves to the lowest cost source.
If I can save a dollar on the cost of a $20 retail item, my profit on that item increases by a dollar. Absent the cost reduction, I would have to sell many more pieces of that item to make that one dollar extra profit.

I wonder how much the $150 DVD player would cost if it were made in the USA by workers making $120 a DAY instead of Chinese workers making $120 a MONTH.

I wonder how many of the Chinese workers are unhappy to be earning $120 a MONTH rather than the $120 a YEAR they were earning previously.

Is there an analogy here to the success of low cost air carriers?

Do you want three DVD players that break in 24 months at $200 or do you want one that last 10 years at $150. We are a hyper consumption society and for what? To keep up with the Jonses? People are renting storage facilities cause their garages are too full with hypercomsumption junk.

I'd pay more for american made quality. It has to be better than Chinese. My Toyota truck is made in America. Who cares who owns the company. Where are the jobs!?? As an American, I think American jobs are more important than Chinese jobs. Don't you? Or do you just want as much stuff as your dollar can buy.

WalMart is demanding how the manufacturers profit margin will be. Too much control. Should WalMart force Levis to shut down american jobs and set up factories in mexico or overseas? Do some research on WalMart and choose with your dollar. The chinese factor is hard to escape. So much comes from there...but an understanding of WalMart and thier all american values wouldn't hurt...

Low cost carriers? Are LCC pilot cheap a$$ labor? Take a SWA pilots 20+ career earnings with stock and compare it to a UAL pilots salary. Don't forget the 85 strike (not that much income loss) and furloughs. The UAL pilot with zero income brings down his average. LCC is no comparision. The LCC pilots are quality blue collar labor.

Resoloution, my ancestors worked long and hard at making sure dumbasses slaved away to make my life easier.

If those dumbasses want to make me a tv or a car...so be it.

If American companies want to build me a tv or a car that can compete with the ones that dumbasses build...then guess what? I'll buy the better mouse trap.

Oh, wait a minute...those dumbasses don't have guns, so they cannot tell their oppressive governments to pi$$ up a rope! Doh.

I shop at WalMart for everyday items like toiletries, paper goods, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, etc...for one reason. They are cheaper for these exact same items than the local drugstore or supermarket.

That's pretty much the end of that story. It really doesn't go much deeper than that.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Do you want three DVD players that break in 24 months at $200 or do you want one that last 10 years at $150. We are a hyper consumption society and for what? To keep up with the Jonses? People are renting storage facilities cause their garages are too full with hypercomsumption junk.

Don't know about you, but I gave up keeping up with the Joneses a long time ago.

I'd pay more for american made quality. It has to be better than Chinese. My Toyota truck is made in America. Who cares who owns the company. Where are the jobs!?? As an American, I think American jobs are more important than Chinese jobs. Don't you? Or do you just want as much stuff as your dollar can buy.

My Acura is 10 years old, and I wouldn't dream of parting with it. Last American car in my household was a 1987 Buick that was abominably unreliable. Before that, it was a 1979 Chevy that wasn't much better. "American made quality" is an oxymoron on too many product lines. Couple that with the high cost of labor and you'll understand why the US manufacturing base has gone down the toilet. I'm not happy about it, but that's the way it is.

WalMart is demanding how the manufacturers profit margin will be. Too much control. Should WalMart force Levis to shut down american jobs and set up factories in mexico or overseas? Do some research on WalMart and choose with your dollar. The chinese factor is hard to escape. So much comes from there...but an understanding of WalMart and thier all american values wouldn't hurt...

All businesses work to drive their cost down. It's the most effective strategy to making or improving profits. WalMart, because of its size, just has more clout than smaller companies do.

Low cost carriers? Are LCC pilot cheap a$$ labor? Take a SWA pilots 20+ career earnings with stock and compare it to a UAL pilots salary. Don't forget the 85 strike (not that much income loss) and furloughs. The UAL pilot with zero income brings down his average. LCC is no comparision. The LCC pilots are quality blue collar labor.

Do air carriers employ only pilots? Are pilots at the legacy carriers the only employees who earn (or once earned) huge salaries? How do union work rules affect the cost structure?

Here is my prediction. WalMart is going to get spanked real hard by the US Gov't or some other group for unfair business practices. Anti-trust, what have you. Kinda like Microsoft. Just my gut feeling. No logic or intelligence to back that up.

Rez, I have to disagree with all of this. All except the last sentence.

People like you would be right at home in good ol' Dickensian England. Child labor, 18-hour days 7 days a week, loosing limbs in machines, union activists being roughed up by management goons. As long as the government "gets off the backs of business" and let's the "marketplace" work itself out, everything will be dandy.

Ah, I have been rebuked!! "People like me!!"

Oh, my.

When they can't say anything constructive, a weak debater will resort to the ad hominum of "pepole like you" as if this is some sort of indictment to which any number of scurrulous things can be attached. Things like child labor, and Dickens, of all people. Why stop there? What about Caligula?

I'm not a proponent of "child labor", but I have to tell you that the Asians are very successful as immigrants here because they are familiar with "work" (we used to call them "chores") from a young age. I had chores on our farm. I think it made me a better person.

The moveon.org commercial that CBS refused to run (I didn't know youn had it in you, Mel) features a lot of scenes of child labor. Of course, this has never been a part of the Bush plan. They suggest that this is a good image to illustrate how the next generation will be paying fror the deficit spending of today. If the country were to never recover from the recession, that would be true. However, the facts of history show that reducing taxes will increase revenues to the treasury.

The dems are really torqued off that this kind of spending program was yanked right out from under them by Bush. They would have spent the same money on the program, but they never would have run such a ridiculous commercial. They would have patted themselves on the back for their caring, their sensitivity, and oh yes, their intelligence.

With reference to OSHA, etc:

I fail to understand why any of these things are bad. Sure, like with about everything else, they have been taken to extremes and therefore marginalized their effectiveness, but each was created to fix a problem.

I'm saying that different areas of the world are developing their laws and goverenments at different rates right now, and eventually there will be a similarity as far as the philosophy of the country and culture allow. While each was created to fix a problem, it can be argued that all of these have, in typical governmnet over-reach, gone too far. We can talk more about that if you want.

So, don't worry. All of the world will be buying Chinese products for some time to come. It's the best way to bring them a change in government, and expose them to the rest of the world. It's interesting that they have had time to look at all of the world's systems and plans, and now appear to be favoring our capitalist system as the most viable model. Hmmm.

Those problems for the most part do not exist today in America. And yet they do in China, and we're doing our best to exploit it. Doesn't seem right to me.

We are voting with our wallets, as someone else mentioned.

If you disagree, don't shop there. If you lose the election, suck it up and move on.

Latest resources

Back