• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
AP Top News at 1110 a.m. EDT

By Associated Press

October 27, 2005, 1110 AM EDT

NBA BASKETBALL COURT SWEAT WIPER UPPERS ON THE OFFENSIVE

SPRINGFIELD, MA (AP) – Amid furor over an Anheuser-Busch radio ad poking fun at Discount Airline Pilots, a new set of voices has joined the shrill protests across the country. Those nameless, dedicated and tireless men and women we see wiping sweat from NBA courts during lulls in the action have launched an angry protest this morning. At a press conference called by Teamsters local 74 representatives in Boston, union leaders were highly critical of the radio spots. “The trivialization of a job which has this level of responsibility associated with it is simply irresponsible”, said Steve “Lefty” McClanahan, a long time Wiper Upper for the Boston Celtics. “I’ve been at this a long time and remember what the sport was like before we were a part of it. Guys won’t talk about the 1954 season when Bill Russell busted his ass weekly on a puddle of Bob Cousy’s sweat but it happened.” Then Head Coach Red Auerbach had to bench Cousy on more than one occasion because of the effect he was having on the team’s fast break. “Today’s NBA owes a lot to our profession and I would hope we’ll see the league give a measured but decisive response to this slap in the face on the part of Anheuser-Busch”, said union leader Patrick McPatrick. “Pat-Pat”, as he’s known to his close friends, responded to questions about his thoughts on just what an appropriate response should be. “Well, I’d hope we wouldn’t see a single Budweiser in the stands for the next game. I’m a Sam Adams fan myself. That stuff is wicked good.” Boston hosts the Lakers this Saturday in the Fleet Center. When asked if he thought this was a realistic expectation of NBA officials, McPatrick responded, “I hope so. They know they need to play ball with us, so to speak. Unless they want to see Shaq eating hardwood on Saturday, they’ll back us up. We don’t want to go there, but we will if we have to.”

Anheuser-Busch representatives were eager to head off further problems created by their ads. “We really thought we had a winner here. It was not our intention to alienate and offend. The ads are supposed to be funny. Honestly, we didn’t think we had such a large number of whiney, thin-skinned people on the other end of our radio spots.” Spokesman Eaton Fuhr spoke candidly following the press conference. “When we heard from the Jelly Donut Fillers last week I began to get concerned. My brother-in-law is a Pit Crew Water Bottle Squirter for Jeff Gordon and he was practically in tears at our family dinner yesterday. We’ve heard the Major Highway Line Painters are getting ready to march on our plant in St. Louis, but that’s an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.” When told about reports that some Southwest pilots were “livid” after hearing the ad, Fuhr responded, “They’re a bunch of pussies. Sounds like they need a drink.”

Israel Troops Arrest Islamic Jihad Leader

JENIN, West Bank (AP) -- Israeli troops entered this West Bank town Thursday and witnesses said they arrested a local leader of Islamic Jihad, pushing forward with an offensive against the Palestinian militant group following a suicide bombing that killed five Israelis. About 35 jeeps, backed by Apache helicopters, entered Jenin in the afternoon, and troops surrounded the home of Abdel Khalim Izzadin. After a brief standoff, Izzadin and three other men surrendered to troops, witnesses said.

:laugh:

Sad thing is, our country is going so overboard with the "PC" factor that the "article" isn't very far from the truth.

The more I think about the Discount Airline Pilot, the more I don't like it. Too many of us have put too much time and effort into what we do. Doesn't mean I condone crying to the press though. I keep looking but I still can't that right to be offended anywhere in that one peice of paper from the old days.

The more I think about the Discount Airline Pilot, the more I don't like it. Too many of us have put too much time and effort into what we do

I happen to think the ad was funny..

Even though it reflects poorly on the industry as a whole, I think the intent of the commercial was to poke fun at the walmart type customer we see today.

I think the ads funny, people just need to remember how to laugh at themselves.:nuts:

Hey ChperpltII, I hope you're happy, I'm hungry now.:D Can you stop by and pick me up a number 2?

I don't have any real strong feelings about the discount airline ad, I just thought, ooohhh that'll get some folks stirred up. The ad series as a whole though, I've become a little disgusted with. I thought the first couple were pretty funny, the early ones were generally targeted at guys who were doing stupid or annoying things. But, as the series contnued they shifted from ridiculing obnoxious sports fans to ridiculiing people working low paying, menial jobs. I think picking up litter in a park was one of them. Yeah, , that's class, picking on someone else because they earn thier living doing something that you think is beneath you, or doesn't pay very well. To me, the ad series went form being funny to being objectionably elitist.

Found this on avweb:
Quote:
"Anheuser-Busch has apologized for a Bud Light commercial poking fun at low-cost airlines it admits was in poor taste. The ad was supposed to be a satirical look at "slices of life" but, instead, suggested safety was compromised by the budget carriers. The ad was only aired once before being pulled last January but is still making the Internet rounds..."

Everybody needs to relax!!!

The ad, I think, all of them, for that matter are funny, if not hilarious.

All you people "offended", I would like to ask:
Do you all get in an uproar when, for instance, a woman-or women- call men a bunch of dogs?
Exactly, same with these ads. If you take them personal, than maybe it's time to get a life.

...hmm, I've always wondered what it would be like cleaning up sweat from parquet floors...

Being offended from that is like being offended when I say....

Southwest Pilots don't drink Bud light anyway. :)

Life is too short to be or stay pissed off. Just IMHO

Those ads are hilarious! You guys pissing and moaning about them probably are "mr. discount airline pilot guys".......Lighten up for crying out loud!

Its amazing how offended people get. Besides that, nobody made mr basketball court sweat wiper uper guy be a mr basketball court sweat wiper uper guy! He chose his profession and should accept any and all blows thrown his way!

Those guys that make those bud light ads are the best. Do they have a CD out with all of the ads?

Latest resources

Back