• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More potential Lear 85 delays?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Options X's are flown as: X owner - MCT-what ever speed it gives you, repo flight/or upgraded owner - .82-for the upgraded owner, .82 is still faster than what they would have been flying.

rajflyboy, when have the fractionals ever routinely operated aircraft at their max speeds? They fly at LRC for two main reasons: lower DOCs and more billable hours for clients. Flying at LRC is a win-win for the fractionals; flying at max cruise on the other hand is a lose-lose for them (higher costs and lower billable hours). The Citation Xs at NetJets or Flight Options have probably only hit Mach 0.92 once -- on a post-production test flight. Speed is a great selling point, but fractional shareowners will never see those speeds due to the higher operational costs. But cabin size can't be altered, so owners can't ever get short-changed on cabin size, unless they agree to be downgraded to a smaller aircraft, which they are compensated for with a reduction in billable hours.

Uh, hate to break it you, but at NJ we fly all pax legs at max speed, with the exception of trying to cover a large distance that simply can't be done at max speed.

Empty legs of long enough duration are planned at something slower than max.

I fly the X. We may or may not hit .92 mach on any pax leg depending on weight, temp, and altitude. But we always try for it. We set the power levers in max continuous and let the plane settle in where it may. I do lots and lots of flights between .89 and .92.

I'm 99% certain our other fleets fly all our pax (share owners and jet cards) at their max speeds too.

I'm certain our clients enjoy our onboard amenities (when they're working), but the bottom line is they are climbing aboard our aircraft to actually go somewhere, and prefer to get there as fast as their aircraft can take them.

The X is classified as a super-midsize aircraft. But it has the smallest cabin of any aircraft in that category. So for the money, why was it our hottest selling aircraft for a bunch if years? Easy, speed. That's why people buy into that aircraft, and flying it at anything less than max (when possible) is doing them a disservice.

You are forgetting about maintenance costs? Flying fast does save money for most operators unless you have some sweet warranty deal

Duh

Again we are showing some who are very inexperienced in this business

Thanks for the clarification on how NetJets operates aircraft re: high-speed cruise. But you're not likely to see that practiced at Flight Options.

Regarding top speed, the Challenger 300 and Learjet 85 share the same top speed of 470 knots. LRC is 1 knot faster in the Learjet 85, at 459 knots. So you're not really losing any speed with the larger cabin in the Challenger 300 versus the smaller one in the Learjet 85. Other than a price delta of about $2 million--or $125,000 per 1/16th share--where's the compelling argument for fractional owners opting for the Learjet 85 over a Challenger 300? I'm not seeing it...

Thanks for the clarification on how NetJets operates aircraft re: high-speed cruise. But you're not likely to see that practiced at Flight Options.

Slowtation Capt corrected you once, maybe you missed it. Options X owners get max continuous thrust in cruise.

Slowtation Capt corrected you once, maybe you missed it. Options X owners get max continuous thrust in cruise.

OK, I missed that. Now can someone please answer my question of why the nowhere close to certified Learjet 85 is better than the long-certified Challenger 300, especially when there is no real speed advantage to the Learjet 85?

OK, I missed that. Now can someone please answer my question of why the nowhere close to certified Learjet 85 is better than the long-certified Challenger 300, especially when there is no real speed advantage to the Learjet 85?

The price delta is $5M.

Latest resources

Back