More on Mesa in HI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Taco Rocket said:
If Mesa is such crap how is the company so successful?
Hey taco pocket, it's probably because of stuff like this: On Oct. 31, Mesa announced one-way fares as low as $43 from Honolulu to Kauai and Maui and $46.50 to Hilo and Kona on the Big Island. Ornstein said those prices have not changed and that he would announce later when customers can buy tickets. He said it is possible that Mesa's arrival could spark a fare war.
He'll come to HI, undercut everyone, lose cash like it's a $$ bonfire and try to kill all who stand before him. But, thankfully he's got the support of pilots like you. JO's gotta love Kook-Aid drinking bottom-feeders like you and beans. We certainly do.:beer:

Bluestreak said:
I loved this quote from J.O.

"
Ornstein said that Mesa, which had $302.8 million in cash, marketable securities and debt investments at the end of December, is in a strong financial position and, except for two months after Sept. 11, 2001, has never had furloughs or had its employees take pay cuts or benefits reductions.
"We offer security and job opportunity," he said. "We have upgraded pilots to captain positions in less than three years. At most regional carriers it takes 10 years. So when you look at compensation, they're very well compensated compared to others in the industry. The question you have to ask yourself is, Do you want to be a high-paid first officer making $40 an hour or a moderately paid captain making twice that?"
Most positions for Mesa's Hawaii operations will be filled by current Mesa employees because the company's labor agreement requires that Mesa employees get first choice, Ornstein said."

Really ? It takes ten years to upgrade ? Maybe at Eagle.Well ,there you have it-"very well compensated",right there in black and white.

According to Airlinepilotcentral.com,you are at $79/hr on the CRJ900 after only 11 short years ! I'll bet those Mesa employees are chompin' at the bit to go to HI and try to live on Mesa wages.Read all about it:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/07/news/story04.html

Let's see - never furloughed? Ummm...yes, Mesa has. Ten years to upgrade? Is that a stat from the 70's? That idiot is truly delusional.

When did they require a PHD (pilot hater degree) in aviation?
The big picture is that most of us are trying to move on to something better. Personally I don't know many com. pilots that dream of retiring on a 1900, Dash, CRJ, etc. JO found a nitch, face it he isn't going anywhere, and he has alot of pilots and many more applying by the second. The last I checked the Majors dont care what regional your from as long as you meet the mins. But back to the pilots, they are no diff. than any other regional pilot although they just have more of an incentive to get out and move on. At the end of the day we all interview together and with alittle luck we will all fly somewhere that is better than our previous carrier. When we get to a mainline carrier don't be surprised if the person sitting next to or across from you was at MESA at some point in their carrier.

"Dont hate the player, hate the game." Ice Cube

Last edited:
Beantown said:
Wow is this post full to bs. Don't let the facts get in your way:

1. Mesa pilots get paid to move. Stop guessing idiot.

2. Mesa pilots get to bid when a domicile closes.

3. Our min guarantee is 76 hrs a month not 70.

4. Before I upgraded I was averaging 15 days off a month and credit of 93hrs.

Not one thing in this post was accurate. Nice try. -Bean

I picked up one of your Mesa bid/award pamphlets in the ORD crew room the other day. Explain to me how your monthly award can be 90 hours and you only get credit for 85? So in other words you work more than what you get payed for right? And I see you have trips where you come back and sit on reserve at the end of the trip before they will release you? You have reserve built into your trips at Mesa? I'd say 80-90% of the lineholders showed 11-12 days off in their schedule. Sounds like a sweet place to be to me. I can't believe guys like you sit there and defend your company and its pilot contract.

Last edited:
Beantown said:
Wow is this post full to bs. Don't let the facts get in your way:

1. Mesa pilots get paid to move. Stop guessing idiot.

2. Mesa pilots get to bid when a domicile closes.

3. Our min guarantee is 76 hrs a month not 70.

4. Before I upgraded I was averaging 15 days off a month and credit of 93hrs.

Not one thing in this post was accurate. Nice try. -Bean

I may be a bit off on the actual numbers. That I'll admit. The last three sentences are right on. The next week after that stunning contract of yours was voted in by 78% of your group, Mesaba manangement was waving it around HQ saying we have to have this.

RP170 said:
Explain to me how your monthly award can be 90 hours and you only get credit for 85? .

There are many ways but the obvious one is that we are on a 28 day bid. That means 13 bids a yr. Everyone here talks in months. That bid packet showing an 85 hr line equals 92hrs a month. (85 X 13 / 12 = 92). The average line at Mesa is around 85 hrs a BID (28 days) or 92 hrs a month. Next. -Bean

RP170 said:
I can't believe guys like you sit there and defend your company and its pilot contract.

As I already said, most of us don't care to defend our company but when people like you and Dodge make sh$t up we have no choice. Foolish people reading this board actually believe the crap you guys spew. -Bean

RP170 said:
And I see you have trips where you come back and sit on reserve at the end of the trip before they will release you? You have reserve built into your trips at Mesa?

Again, talking about sh#t you don't understand like you understand it. Regular lines CAN'T have reserve attached to them. What you were looking at was a "mixed" line (called a build up line at some airlines). These are RESERVE lines that have flying added to them at the final bid. These lines can have a mix of shifts and reserve and you can fly a round trip and then have to sit reserve. This is crap. The good thing about a "mixed" line is that is pays an extra 6 hrs on top of your min guarantee (that would be a min guarantee of 76 hrs a bid or 83 hrs a month on these lines). Next. -Bean

RP170 said:
I'd say 80-90% of the lineholders showed 11-12 days off in their schedule..

And that would be an average of 12-13 days off a month. In my time at Mesa I have averaged 14 days off a month. Days off varies a lot from base to base and month to month around here. We are also in a bit of a fight with the company over PBS. We are testing it right now and the regular schedules have all gone to crap (with everyone thinking the company is doing it on purpose in a lame attempt to make the (fake) PBS award look that much better).

I agree we need more days off a month. It has nothing to do with our min days off guarantee, but with our contract lacking a workrule that requires X amount of lines much have X (say 18) days off a bid. With this company, everything has to be in writting. Our contract is next yr, this kind of thing is a must in the scheduling section or I will vote NO. Next -Bean

Dodge said:
I may be a bit off on the actual numbers. That I'll admit.

Then do us all a favor and don't post them like they are facts. Mesa's contracts sucks, no doubt, but people, especially on this board, think it is much worse then it really is (or better put, they think that their contracts are that much better then mesa's) because of people like you posting this kind of crap. These same people then take the misinformation you're spreading and use it to continue this cycle. -Bean

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back