• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More New Hires at FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well since your requirements are so high lets see 10000 heavy jet civilian and 10 recs or 1500 hrs f-16 and a buddy in management.

The simple differences between UPS and FDX

1.) UPS will still be here in 50 yrs.
2.) FDX only started hiring civilians in any numbers when they couldn't fill their classes with f18,f15 or the like. UPS has always hired close to 50/50
3.) Which leads to reason 3, they were making lawndarts out of so many a/c that they grudgingly needed civilians to keep the military guys out of the grass.
4.) It is simple, if it is on a checklist or in a book the military pilot can learn it.
However when the real world steps in and the mil guy has too think outside the box it always hits the fan.

110%
IPA
Nightrider

nightrider said:
Well since your requirements are so high lets see 10000 heavy jet civilian and 10 recs or 1500 hrs f-16 and a buddy in management.

The simple differences between UPS and FDX

1.) UPS will still be here in 50 yrs.
2.) FDX only started hiring civilians in any numbers when they couldn't fill their classes with f18,f15 or the like. UPS has always hired close to 50/50
3.) Which leads to reason 3, they were making lawndarts out of so many a/c that they grudgingly needed civilians to keep the military guys out of the grass.
4.) It is simple, if it is on a checklist or in a book the military pilot can learn it.
However when the real world steps in and the mil guy has too think outside the box it always hits the fan.

110%
IPA
Nightrider

DING DING

"Let's get ready to rumble"

FedEx v. UPS

Round 1

I'll fire the first gentle jab:

Nice brown uniform.

I love when the purple guys and the brown guys start trading barbs, it's some of the best entertainment on this board.

VaB said:
DING DING

"Let's get ready to rumble"

FedEx v. UPS

Round 1

I'll fire the first gentle jab:

Nice brown uniform.

I love when the purple guys and the brown guys start trading barbs, it's some of the best entertainment on this board.

Man, you threw down the trump card right off the bat! The brown uniform thing effectively ends all UPS vs. Fedex arguments. It's over...a first round knockout!

VaB

Classic! However, our uniform really isn't brown, it's more of a deep cappuccino, and actually I've found it to be quite slimming, which is good based on the amount of donuts I've started consuming at 3am. Whose bright idea was it to put a Krispy Kreme case in the ASC at Louisville?!

Nightrider,

You're right, as a military pilot I have only had to think out of the box one time. So far, I'm the only guy in my squadron that's had to and as such I have to give a brief at all of our commander's calls to tell the rest of the guys what it was like to be caught outside the box...with no manual. I actually got a medal for it. There's good pilots and bad in both camps, words like "always" can offend alot of folks. No matter what, if you've gotten this far your pretty good at what you do, or as I told my latest evaluator who told me I did a good job, "a monkey in a room full of pianos will find Beethoven sooner or later!" Rather be lucky than good any day.

There is hope out there yet:

If I hadn't met the pilot myself I would not have believed it. The other day a new hire, 25 years old, jumpseated with me. He only had one sponsor, from his church, who he had never flown with. He has an all civilian background.

My point is that you can make it without 10 military guys going to bat for you who you have flown with.

And before you ask, no his last name wasn't Smith and he wasn't related to any of the pilots or pilot managment.

FYI...

I have had quite a few folks from Pinnacle, Mesa, Air Wisconsin, ASA, and Mesaba hired. FedEx ate them up... In addition to being good pilots and good workers, they are proud to be at their first major and bring a lot of enthusiasm with them to work. They also NEVER take military leave...

I've also had several young military guys not so lucky. A lot more successes than failures, mind you, but it is never "automatic".

I'd say I have a pretty good idea of the folks FedEx has hired the during the last year. Anyone who thinks it is all a "military flying club" is showing their ignorance. We have a lot of folks, both mil and civ, who have met with CPs and ACPs the last six months who are still waiting for their turn to interview. There are simply a heck of a lot of folks competing for a few hundred slots every year. How do the regional guys get in? The same way the rest of us did...NETWORK! ASA guys help ASA guys, Pinnacle bros help their friends, etc etc.

And as for "automatic hiring"...well...there are too many good aviators from both mil and civ backgrounds who have gotten the "no thanks" letter to have me believe there are any gold tickets. Your buddies can get you the interview, but you still have to execute on your big day.

...and Nightrider...I have to take your bait. I've learned a lot flying 121 ops, but get a grip. I've been a CFI/CFII, a jump pilot, a GA aircraft owner and an airline guy flying night freight. I'm not a captain (yet), but I've done the CAT III approach thing a few times, landed in the snow right at ops spec limits, crosswind landings, etc etc. Every bit of it is challenging and requires your full attention and professionalism. However, my F-15 flying, especially as a mission commander over Iraq during NFZ enforcement, required a much more dynamic awareness and thought process. Teaching BFM and pulling Gs is much more demanding, both mentally and physically, than any other flying I have done. My bros who have flown Navy equipment have done all the same things (although...c'mon...not NEARLY as well ;) ) and THEN had to land on a boat. None of those skills may make them a better airline pilot directly, but your comments show an envious and resentful streak behind your very clear lack of knowledge on the subject. That aside--please go negotiate yourself a very good contract. We are ALL on your side on that one...

Last edited:
AlbieF15 said:
FYI...

I have had quite a few folks from Pinnacle, Mesa, Air Wisconsin, ASA, and Mesaba hired. FedEx ate them up... In addition to being good pilots and good workers, they are proud to be at their first major and bring a lot of enthusiasm with them to work. They also NEVER take military leave...

I've also had several young military guys not so lucky. A lot more successes than failures, mind you, but it is never "automatic".

I'd say I have a pretty good idea of the folks FedEx has hired the during the last year. Anyone who thinks it is all a "military flying club" is showing their ignorance. We have a lot of folks, both mil and civ, who have met with CPs and ACPs the last six months who are still waiting for their turn to interview. There are simply a heck of a lot of folks competing for a few hundred slots every year. How do the regional guys get in? The same way the rest of us did...NETWORK! ASA guys help ASA guys, Pinnacle bros help their friends, etc etc.

And as for "automatic hiring"...well...there are too many good aviators from both mil and civ backgrounds who have gotten the "no thanks" letter to have me believe there are any gold tickets. Your buddies can get you the interview, but you still have to execute on your big day.

...and Nightrider...I have to take your bait. I've learned a lot flying 121 ops, but get a grip. I've been a CFI/CFII, a jump pilot, a GA aircraft owner and an airline guy flying night freight. I'm not a captain (yet), but I've done the CAT III approach thing a few times, landed in the snow right at ops spec limits, crosswind landings, etc etc. Every bit of it is challenging and requires your full attention and professionalism. However, my F-15 flying, especially as a mission commander over Iraq during NFZ enforcement, required a much more dynamic awareness and thought process. Teaching BFM and pulling Gs is much more demanding, both mentally and physically, than any other flying I have done. My bros who have flown Navy equipment have done all the same things (although...c'mon...not NEARLY as well ;) ) and THEN had to land on a boat. None of those skills may make them a better airline pilot directly, but your comments show an envious and resentful streak behind your very clear lack of knowledge on the subject. That aside--please go negotiate yourself a very good contract. We are ALL on your side on that one...
And the Chicks dig it when you're shooting down your Rolex. . .

...well...I own a Seiko that I DON'T shoot very often, and if we are on a trip you are a whole lot more likely to hear me chat about my Navion (a SWEET '62 Rangemaster), or my kids, or a trip somewhere fun than some BS Eagle tale. However, I have met some fine folks in the business...and made some lifelong friends...

Latest resources

Back